Which Music-Player : Jplay or Jriver?
May 27, 2016 at 2:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Thenazgul

100+ Head-Fier
I just became a proud owner of a Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC + Schiit Lyr 2 Amplifier + Schiit Wyrd USB Decrapifier. 
It seems that I could install a optional ASIO-driver for the DAC (from Schiit's website). Is that any good? 
For years I have been using Winamp, but we all know that the support of it stopped a while ago. Yet I still use it, I do like it.
Although I started reading up on other options like Jplay / Jriver / Foobar. Jplay is only for music right? While Jriver could also play video (which I do not need).
Also which streaming music service do you guys prefer? I guess Tidal only delivers FLAC-support? 

May 28, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 48
bump ;p

May 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 48
Spotify premium is 320K and is very good.

Foobar is probably most popular here among the media players you have suggested. Although the media player is more about features as long as you set it up right with windows. I use Media Monkey and WASAPI, and it's not going to sound different from Foobar with WASAPI. ASIO may or may not offer benefits over WASAPI (research and decide).

May 29, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 48
Spotify premium is 320K and is very good.

Foobar is probably most popular here among the media players you have suggested. Although the media player is more about features as long as you set it up right with windows. I use Media Monkey and WASAPI, and it's not going to sound different from Foobar with WASAPI. ASIO may or may not offer benefits over WASAPI (research and decide).

Went for Tidal. Amazing! <3 it. Next month I go for Jriver for my music-collection. Did spent enough this month :p

May 29, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #6 of 48
Not allowed to say that on Head-Fi
darthsmile.gif

Haha, licking my wounds of that Schiit-equipment + Audioquest cables. Next month is the Sennheiser headphone scheduled :D

May 29, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 48
Haha, licking my wounds of that Schiit-equipment + Audioquest cables. Next month is the Sennheiser headphone scheduled :D

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a $1000 subwoofer, $1300 AVR, and $550 speakers this month. I'm going to be holding off on audio purchases for quite a while. :)

May 29, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 48
If it makes you feel any better, I bought a $1000 subwoofer, $1300 AVR, and $550 speakers this month. I'm going to be holding off on audio purchases for quite a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha. amazing. Enjoy man. Sound is more important than video-quality. Bad sound really bothers me. Next month I have the Sennheiser hd800s scheduled. Then I will be done with audio equipment a while too

May 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #9 of 48
If you just want bitperfect playback, just use foobar2000. It's free and sounds the same as JPLAYmini and JRiver Media Center.

If, however, you want far superior and more realistic sound quality and don't mind paying the price, I highly recommend Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop. It basically does processing (with the help of your computer's processor) in a way similar to very high-end DACs, making your current DAC perform like a much more expensive one. Here are some settings you can use to start with. If you research and experiment with the settings, I'm sure you can get even better results. Unfortunately, HQPlayer's interface is atrocious, but it is compatible with the Roon interface. (Though Roon is even more expensive.) Oh, and HQPlayer also supports Tidal and has a free trial.

I use ASIO, but only because my DAC has a driver for it. From here:

If your soundcard has a native ASIO driver, this is the most direct (and normally best) way to communicate with it.

May 31, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #10 of 48
  If you just want bitperfect playback, just use foobar2000. It's free and sounds the same as JPLAYmini and JRiver Media Center.

If, however, you want far superior and more realistic sound quality and don't mind paying the price, I highly recommend Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop. It basically does processing (with the help of your computer's processor) in a way similar to very high-end DACs, making your current DAC perform like a much more expensive one. Here are some settings you can use to start with. If you research and experiment with the settings, I'm sure you can get even better results. Unfortunately, HQPlayer's interface is atrocious, but it is compatible with the Roon interface. (Though Roon is even more expensive.) Oh, and HQPlayer also supports Tidal and has a free trial.

I use ASIO, but only because my DAC has a driver for it. From here:

I need a program that has support for Tidal. It seems Jriver and Jplay does have. Just cannot device which is better. Any suggestions between the two?

May 31, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 48
  I need a program that has support for Tidal. It seems Jriver and Jplay does have. Just cannot device which is better. Any suggestions between the two?

JRiver is cheaper and has a decent interface, while JPLAY is more like a plugin that interfaces with other players, unless you use the JPLAYmini player, which is basically a window that looks like a text file that you copy/paste music into. HQPlayer also supports Tidal, and like I mentioned, HQPlayer has much better sound quality.

All three programs have free trials available, so you can try them out for yourself without having to make an immediate decision. The JPLAY trial has no time limit and is fully functional except that it inserts a few seconds of silence every few minutes.

May 31, 2016 at 3:15 AM Post #12 of 48

JRiver is cheaper and has a decent interface, while JPLAY is more like a plugin that interfaces with other players, unless you use the JPLAYmini player, which is basically a window that looks like a text file that you copy/paste music into. HQPlayer also supports Tidal, and like I mentioned, HQPlayer has much better sound quality.

All three programs have free trials available, so you can try them out for yourself without having to make an immediate decision. The JPLAY trial has no time limit and is fully functional except that it inserts a few seconds of silence every few minutes.

I try JRiver for a month. JPLAY is to much DNLA-minded in my opinion. Don't like that. Just want a player that plays my local(PC-only)-content. HQPlayer is fairly expensive (140 euro's, http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=300588325&backlink=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.signalyst.com%252Fwebshop.html). Got any tutorial to get it working with Tidal? (is there a addon?) Might consider it buying that one next month together with my Sennheiser HD800s. Guess HQPlayer also has a option to use ASIO. Hopefully it works with the default Schiit Drivers. Else I have to install the Schiit's alternative ASIO driver. 

I have a Tidal subscription. Tried their exclusive-mode option, but that ain't really a success. It really locks the dac to that application. Meaning that if I have Tidal-opened, Youtube-video's etc won't play. Guess that ASIO will solve that issue. That's why I search for a decent music-player with the support of ASIO and integration of Tidal. 

https://www.jriver.com/ is the offical-page right?

May 31, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #13 of 48
  I try JRiver for a month. JPLAY is to much DNLA-minded in my opinion. Don't like that. Just want a player that plays my local(PC-only)-content. HQPlayer is fairly expensive (140 euro's, http://www.shareit.com/product.html?productid=300588325&backlink=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.signalyst.com%252Fwebshop.html). Got any tutorial to get it working with Tidal? (is there a addon?) Might consider it buying that one next month together with my Sennheiser HD800s. Guess HQPlayer also has a option to use ASIO. Hopefully it works with the default Schiit Drivers. Else I have to install the Schiit's alternative ASIO driver. 

I have a Tidal subscription. Tried their exclusive-mode option, but that ain't really a success. It really locks the dac to that application. Meaning that if I have Tidal-opened, Youtube-video's etc won't play. Guess that ASIO will solve that issue. That's why I search for a decent music-player with the support of ASIO and integration of Tidal. 

https://www.jriver.com/ is the offical-page right?

I would not recommend JPLAY anyway, since it really doesn't sound any different from free players.

Here is a search link which should have tutorials. (The manual included with the HQPlayer download may have a tutorial for that, but I'm too lazy to look.)

Yes, I use ASIO with HQPlayer, but again, only because my DAC has an ASIO driver. You can use many other output modes. I used WASAPI with one previous DAC.

Yes, that is the official page.

May 31, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #14 of 48

I would not recommend JPLAY anyway, since it really doesn't sound any different from free players.

Here is a search link which should have tutorials. (The manual included with the HQPlayer download may have a tutorial for that, but I'm too lazy to look.)

Yes, I use ASIO with HQPlayer, but again, only because my DAC has an ASIO driver. You can use many other output modes. I used WASAPI with one previous DAC.

Yes, that is the official page.

Schiit has also a ASIO-driver. It is a alternative driver. Although in the standard C-media driver somehow ASIO-dll's are included as well.
I've decided to buy HQplayer next month. First my Sennheiser Hd800s. Thank you for your support btw.

May 31, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #15 of 48
  Schiit has also a ASIO-driver. It is a alternative driver. Although in the standard C-media driver somehow ASIO-dll's are included as well.
I've decided to buy HQplayer next month. First my Sennheiser Hd800s. Thank you for your support btw.

I've never heard a difference between bitperfect output modes either way.

Note that HQPlayer has a really bad interface, though this won't matter if you're using Tidal or another interface like Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back