Which microphone with open headphones?
Mar 26, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #31 of 59
@Grom8 Thanks for the 8/10! :) Yeah the 3.5mm is perfect for many, but for certain setups it can get a weird feedback hum or other problems. It varies based on the soundcard or motherboard, in which case the USB will produce better sound. Glad you worked it out though!

-Joe

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #32 of 59
  @vivi the mage Short version: We're aiming at having the new 5.0 before the holidays this year. That's not a promise, just our goal. As we get to around summer we'll know for sure if we will hit our deadline.

We're also looking into some kind of upgrade / loyalty system. We try to avoid a constant "discount" cycle, but we may (again, not set in stone) offer a pre-order discount to past customers. At least it is something I want to do, its more a matter of logistics and how we do it. Suffice to say, the answer here is I hope to provide a way to get our past customers into a shiny new 5.0. Maybe even discount extra base clasps so you can gift your 4.0 to a friend :D

-Joe

good to hear, thanks.

Apr 23, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #33 of 59
Hello,

I'm considering to get the AntLion ModMic and attach it to my HifiMan and Audeze hedphones for open office and home-office use. Like many others, I'm a sucker for good headphone sound, but the only criteria for outgoing voice is that people can understand my speech during calls and webinars.

Would you guys recommend the uni-directional/cardioid or the omni-directional? Directional seems better for isolating open office ambient noise (noisy idiot colleagues, that is), but directional mics always have the proximity effect. So does the directional capture breathing noise more, or otherwise sounds boomy or inferior?  

Apr 23, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #34 of 59
We recommend a Uni-Directional for this - and the ModMic comes with a 30 day full refund policy if for some reason it is picking up ambient noise (it shouldn't, and if it does, some minor tweaks to the gain and speaker volume should fix it).

-Joe

May 2, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #35 of 59
I have the unidirectional antlion modmic 4 attached to my AKG K7xx (going into a six foot extension and my Sound Blaster Z card) and have heard 0 complaints about feedback from my gaming friends in-game CSGO, mumble, or ventrilo. Wish I didn't waste a magnetic sticker on my MDR V6s as I no longer use them for gaming.

May 12, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 59
I use the yeti but I know allot of people here will advocate for a at2020 with XLR input. XLR is generally better at getting rid of background noise so I would go with that setup. The yeti is just a great option for simplisity sake.

May 14, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #37 of 59
Modmic
  We recommend a Uni-Directional for this - and the ModMic comes with a 30 day full refund policy if for some reason it is picking up ambient noise (it shouldn't, and if it does, some minor tweaks to the gain and speaker volume should fix it).

-Joe

Modmic's are way overpriced. A cheap $3 lapel mic from eBay offers near identical voice clarity, if not better. You're just paying for the name and the mounting system of the modmic. If that is worth $40+ to you, by all means, go for it.

May 14, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #38 of 59
  Modmic

Modmic's are way overpriced. A cheap $3 lapel mic from eBay offers near identical voice clarity, if not better. You're just paying for the name and the mounting system of the modmic. If that is worth $40+ to you, by all means, go for it.

Well, I once again point to my "Trade member" status here :)

The issue is that lapel mics are usually pretty sensitive Omni-directional, which means they'll pick up a lot of background noise. While I haven't a clue if that also includes the audio-bleed on your headphones (would depend on volume, mic location, and how sensitive the lapel mic is), that would be the primary reason I recommended the Uni-Directional ModMic.

I do recommend people look at reviews of products prior to purchasing, and with that I further believe we (ModMic) will come out on top in terms of customer support, warranty, and general quality, as well as our clasp system. Whether that is "worth it" I leave up to you all to determine. I'm just here to help in whatever ways I can.

I appreciate giving the alternatives for those who are looking at a tighter budget though!

Mar 6, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #40 of 59
I have a pair of ad900x headphones and I use a AT2020usb mic with a cheap arm and pop filter. The mic sounds absolutely amazing and no one can hear the sound leaking from my headphones, at least nobody has said they can hear it on mumble, vent, or TS while playing FPS games with the sound cranked.

I'm also an ad900x owner, except with a Samson meteor. I've had the same experience, no one has mentioned hearing sound leakage on various voip programs.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:43 PM Post #41 of 59
  I use the yeti but I know allot of people here will advocate for a at2020 with XLR input. XLR is generally better at getting rid of background noise so I would go with that setup. The yeti is just a great option for simplisity sake.

That's not really how it works.

XLR mics tend to be better in the same way that separate mics are better than headset mics: the hardware is dedicated and tends to be cleaner. A USB mic has to have the interface all packed inside it like how bluetooth headphones need DACs inside them. So if you're going XLR you'll need an interface.

FWIW I use a Blue Spark with a Steinberg UR22, a setup that costs around $200 or so retail nowadays. I've had scads of mics over the past few years (Blue Snowball/Yeti/Spark/Bluebird/Baby Bottle, AT-2020+, AKG c214, Shure SM7B, Rode NT1, Neumann TLM102), and I find the Spark just works with my voice perfectly in ways others didn't. It's about $130 these days and sounds beautiful for vocals.

The reason people recommend the at2020 is because the at2020+ is a USB mic and, for my money, sounds significantly better than the Yeti. The Yeti's issue is that for the money you're spending, you're putting it largely into all the unnecessary dials and switches instead of a quality capsule. 

Background noise is an issue mainly in settings. It's going to get picked up to SOME degree, but it shouldn't be so much that it's a problem.

Apr 13, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #43 of 59
I don't often play multiplayer games, and consequentially, I don't have a dedicated gaming mic setup.  What I do have is a MXL 990 condensor mic running through an Alesis Multimix 8 USB.  I can't speak for how effective it is, but at the least, no one's complained about it yet.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:07 AM Post #44 of 59
I use a Rode Smartlav+ Mic for gaming - though there is always a problem when using any omnidirectional mic with a mechanical keyboard without key-silencers, it will murder your teammates ears. I used to use a gaming headset, but my DAC showed me that headset was completely abysmal regarding audio quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back