Which members know what they are talking about
Apr 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #182 of 187
For me it comes down to two dimensions:

How authoritative is someone on a subject (Fitz on AKG, etc.)

How similar is someone's preferences to mine (there's a few folks who have pretty similar takes on gear)

Something like a signature of your gear is a start at getting to preference similarity and post count/level and join date is a proxy for authority

I would love to see a couple of other ways the forum could proxy this (ratings of posts tallying up to rating of a user by profile as a proxy for authority - maybe a mini survey for categorizing preferences) - those would still be proxies but could be very interesting ways to help with building trust

Apr 30, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #183 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're all missing the point...the wonderful thing about head-fi is that in its operation, in miniature, it contains all the promise, freedom and experimentation of the US Constitution's Bill of Rights, and lesser derivatives, particularly with respect to the clarifying power of free speech...I believe it was Elmer Davis who summed it up best...

This nation was conceived in liberty and dedicated to the principle – among others – that honest men may honestly disagree; that if they all say what they think, a majority of the people will be able to distinguish truth from error; that in the competition of the marketplace of ideas, the sounder ideas will in the long run win out.

So, head-fiers, while some among us might exhibit sound judgement on certain occasions and in certain topics, the power of ideas transcends any individual voice

This is the best post I have read in the past week! Well said.

--Jerome

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #184 of 187
This thread is shameful
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #186 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One rule of thumb I use, anyone who thinks cables make a difference, I usually ignore their impressions as they are hearing more by what they think should be hearing rather than what they are actually hearing.

Also Grado fanboys, their hearing preference is just way too difference from mine.

Sadly that's a huge percentage of Head-Fi.

Bang on the money !!! After this post YOU are the only one I trust !!!

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #187 of 187
i barely post in the equipment forums since my experience is nowhere near what most of you all have. I do read alot of your posts and i know who i believe has the most usable advice. I just wish i found this place before i made some of my purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back