Which members know what they are talking about
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #166 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know knotting

I can untie any knot. I'm serious. Name a knot, any knot.

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #167 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's like April Fools Day all over again.

I guess that would make you the April fool, then.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #168 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't very many people here who know what they are talking about.
I am proud to be among the very few who do!

I too know what I'm talking about.

I also know how to listen to what others are talking about and make some sense out of it.

This is why I don't say so much myself. It's also why I just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT-150's
atsmile.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #169 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I also know how to listen to what others are talking about and make some sense out of it.

This is why I don't say so much myself. It's also why I just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT-150's
atsmile.gif

As long as you don't spend your posts trolling about how your phones are the pinnacle of perfection followed by insults of headphones you've never heard then followed by insults of their owner's hearing and intelligence, you might be able to garner some trust.

Apr 23, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #170 of 187
Quote:

It's also why I just ordered the Beyerdynamic DT-150's
atsmile.gif

You will love the sound. I hope you can tolerate the comfort.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:33 PM Post #171 of 187
One rule of thumb I use, anyone who thinks cables make a difference, I usually ignore their impressions as they are hearing more by what they think should be hearing rather than what they are actually hearing.

Also Grado fanboys, their hearing preference is just way too difference from mine.

Sadly that's a huge percentage of Head-Fi.

Apr 23, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #172 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you don't spend your posts trolling about how your phones are the pinnacle of perfection followed by insults of headphones you've never heard then followed by insults of their owner's hearing and intelligence, you might be able to garner some trust.

I hope to behave. Just made a somewhat bold statement to get some attention
normal_smile .gif
At least I do have a PhD which should be good for something. But what do you know, I could be lying or be a total moron no matter what. Guess you'll have to judge me by what I say rather.

Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will love the sound. I hope you can tolerate the comfort.

Thanks, I've read some of your (and other) opinions, so I though they might be good newbie cans. Was leaning toward the DT880 first but since I do have other things to spend my money on atm... I'll be sure to share my thoughts once I listened to them. Thought I'd introduce myself to the community first though.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #173 of 187
Quote:

atsmile.gif

Hej! I've been to Falun - I have friends i Darlana.
beerchug.gif

Why did you go with the DT150s over some DT880s or DT990s? Aren't the 150s meant for broadcast use?

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #174 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One rule of thumb I use, anyone who thinks cables make a difference, I usually ignore their impressions as they are hearing more by what they think should be hearing rather than what they are actually hearing.

+1

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #175 of 187
EricJ - He's a cheap person, so listen to him if you want to get a lot of headphone for a little price.

Cantsleep - His work is excellent so he has to know what he is talking about.

Skylab - Just about every headphone Skylab likes I also do. So I silently stalk him and purchase everything he does.

Fitz - If it relates to AKG I take his word as Gospel.

Duggah - If there's anything out of the ordinary in the headphone world I look for his opinion on it.

Anti-Patrick82 - If Pat endorses something I immediately wipe it from my mind.

I forgot who it was, but the guy who alerted Head-Fi to the Koss A250.

All the hardcore Ortho guys.

Anybody who has a headphone mod named after them (Kramer, Fitz, etc.).

Female Head-Fi'ers. Everyone knows women are much better listeners then men.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #176 of 187
Here's my scoop:
Full sized headphones that cost $50-300 at ebay prices are the best headphones. All the headphones above that price category I have sold. Headphones that have little or no distance between the ear and driver sound mediocre (Grado, KSC75). Headphones with a lot of bass don't interest me very much. Lastly, closed headphones rarely sound good.

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #177 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald North /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hej! I've been to Falun - I have friends i Darlana.
beerchug.gif

Why did you go with the DT150s over some DT880s or DT990s? Aren't the 150s meant for broadcast use?

Hey, cool, myself I've not only been to California, but lived in Riverside for 3 years while doing my post doc
smily_headphones1.gif

I've seen the DT150 used in recording studios at least. I chose the them over the DT880's for several reasons combined:

1) price is about €100 less from thomann in Germany
2) sturdy construction. have several (cheaper) cans broken by my kids (now 4 and 5 y/o so they're getting better)
3) closed is good since my wife works nights and sleeps close to where I work during daytime
4) I wanted something versatile, which these cans seem to fulfill

I know open cans might sound better in the upper regions, and I might go for an upgrade in the future. However, I've only just started my journey into head-fi country and I'm also getting the ASUS Sonar Essence STX so it's getting a bit expensive. From what I've read it might actually work better with the 880/990 than the 150, so I had to work hard to convince myself of the 150 for now.

Apr 30, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #178 of 187
Hey, I just stumbled onto this "Who do you trust?" forum - and was surprised to find my name on anybody's list of trustworthy souls. I guess that proves that headfiers do have a sense of humor, if not a taste for the absurd. As I usually come here to figure out what I'm doing wrong - or what I just stepped into - I'll grab the comment like one of five teens simultaneously running out of a 7/11 with bags of Doritos and malt liquor - chased by a cashier who suddenly realizes he's screwed.

In my experience, "trust me" is one of those phrases used by people too lazy to raise both middle fingers at once.

Apr 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #180 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I trust the friends I have made here. That's about it.

This.

This whole thread is a pointless popularity contest since it take some knowledge to actually see that someone else has that knowledge and isn't randomly spouting off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back