Which members know what they are talking about
Apr 22, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #151 of 187
Definitely Skylab. He wrote some really good amp reviews that helped me purchase 2 amps.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #152 of 187
I know what I'm talking about... Oh wait, you guys mean when it comes to headphones. Well then the answer is no, not yet.

I've received a lot of good advice, much of it not subjective but factual info on how different equipment works etc, from head-fiers. Jamato8 was helpful with a lot of questions I had about my WA6 SE before ordering it, and was not condescending/didn't claim to be an expert with any replies to my questions. The quality you'll find with many of the most knowledgeable/experienced people, here or anywhere, is a consistant awareness of subjectivity and that there are always others who may be more knowledgeable.

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #154 of 187
Words, what we are using purposely, are just reflections of conceptual thoughts...
maybe for this reason some research show, that on average, we understand each other some 30% (little more or less) trustfully!

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #157 of 187
I've only had a short time here, so I only have done a little more research than the average guy on the street. However this thread can be useful to see samples of people who try to be helpful, and everyone else is not trying to be taken seriously (which can be good for entertainment value!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 22, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #159 of 187
I appreciate the help that many members offer and it is easy to see who actually knows what they are talking from those who don't. Especially any post that contains "I heard that brand x is the best for xxxx"...
Like all things in life, a critical approach to the posts is required so you don't end being a sheep.
but what do I know, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #160 of 187
I usually prefer those who don't make the decision for you, but rather provide factual details of the pros and cons of gear, letting you make your own decision based on the data provided, not on their opinion.

The trick is distinguishing those who throw opinions that sound like facts from those who provide the true facts.

To get to the point, I just like people who cut the bull and tell it to you like it is, regardless of whatever the fad of the moment may be.

Those are very few.

I don't want to point out anyone for the better or worse, but I respect a couple of people's opinion who have helped me out to pick something for myself DESPITE the fact they are not too fond of that particular sound signature.

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #161 of 187
I have a very hard time trusting anyone that only recommends something out of an indicated price range.

I see this as: "Get my phones, they're the best! We'll be chummeeeh-chummeeeh!"
beerchug.gif

Great way for the uneducated to fool the uneducated...

I also hate the famous "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry for your wallet!" thing when it comes from the same people. I can't help but say to myself: "I hope your sorry for his wallet, you helped a 13 years old spend 100$ more than he could afford to spend..."

I also tend to dislike when someone comes into a recommendation thread, say a line or two about a phone, à la: "Don't get DT770 pro, they suck. You only get one note of flabby bass. Get some AD900 instead.", then vanish for ever
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm amazed by how these people are helping "their" community...

Other than that, I'd say I tend to trust people that offer comprehensive reviews of their gear, or support the gear they like the most. What may be seen as blatant fanboyism is always fueled by something positive: best bang for the buck, favorite headphone. These people are the ones who orient most of my decisions. Or something negative: I'm a total newbie, and I recommend the headphone because everyone say it's the best, and I can't bring my own arguments to support the headphone). I also tend to dislike over-enthusiastic brand fanboys. "AKG, AT, Grado FTW!" The same can be said from BOSE bashers. Most of these people never had a single Bose product, yet they say it's bad.

On a more positive note, SKYLAB's review of Qinpu products really helped me picking up my first desktop amp. KRAMER mostly oriented me to KSC75 and pa2v2.

In the end, the "members who know what they are talking about" are the people that helped me the most.

I don't really care how active the member is in the forums. I like people with opinions, who aren't afraid to take a few minutes of their time to share them.

See? I know what I'm talking about...
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #162 of 187
I find that I'm greatly appreciative of the individuals who realize that their interpretation of the musicality of certain equipment is subjective and are willing to respectfully disagree with a dissenting opinion without resorting to ad hominem attacks.

A pompous, disrespectful, blowhard is just as capable of delivering quality, useful information as an unassuming, congenial individual, but the latter's information is far easier to digest and is much more likely to be well-received.

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #163 of 187
UncleErik from the perspective of an intelligent consumer who loves his music.

gregorio from the perspective of science/studio

Acix from his experiences with headphones with his work

Skylab with his obsessions with tubes

FallenAngel quietly helping in the DIY forums

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #164 of 187
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There aren't very many people here who know what they are talking about.
I am proud to be among the very few who do!

It's like April Fools Day all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back