Which Media Player On Windows?
Oct 26, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #61 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I was talking about when I said it might have two devices for one sound card. It's like two different "paths." Speakers is probably for the analog output, while S/PDIF is probably the digital.

Ah, I see. I suppose that makes sense. I'm thinking "speakers" is what I should use in foobar though. By the way, I got the info for how to do this from the PDF file that was posted HERE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirDrexl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried, and I can't get bit-perfect output that way

How can I tell if I'm getting bit-perfect output?

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #62 of 74
The only way I know to test is to use a DTS WAV file. If you play it in Foobar and it's bit-perfect, the DTS decoder (receiver) will see it as DTS instead of PCM and play it accordingly. Any resampling or attenuation destroys the DTS signal and will cause the file to be played back as noise. Preferably you would use a 44.1khz file, so you could be sure that CD or FLAC isn't being altered. (Some sound cards will resample 44.1khz but not 48khz, so that DTS on DVDs will pass.)

Of course, you'll need a receiver with DTS to do this, and make sure the volume is turned down very low because if it plays noise, it could damage your speakers. And, obviously make sure that any processing in the playback software is turned off. There are some files here: Free 5.1 Surround Sound DTS and AC-3 Downloads You'll have to unzip them to get to the WAVs.

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #63 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VLC has always been ****.
Zoom is better than WMP11
MPC is still the best.
cccp
the only thing you need. ever

Not according to my tests. Zoom Player MAX actually came in last.
MPC-HC > Regular MPC. WMP11 is actually not that bad at all (no bias here).

Oct 26, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #64 of 74
Another way to check that the output is bit perfect is to rip and play an HDCD encoded CD. You'll need access to a DAC that can detect and decode HDCD. Send the digital output from your USB DAC to the HDCD DAC. If the HDCD light lights up on the HDCD capable DAC then you've got bit perfect output (at least over the digital outs at 16/44.1).

I've never actually bothered to verify that I've got bit perfect output. I assume I do, but have never bothered to verify. I don't have a DTS capable receiver or an HDCD capable DAC so testing would require that I borrow some equipment. Not worth the bother. I have things configured so that I should have bit perfect playback and that's good enough for me.

Nov 1, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #65 of 74
WMP12 here but trying out J.Rivers media center & looks really good & lots of options. Overall much better options & interface than WMP12. Only problem is cost here.

Tried Foobar & Cplay & did not like the way they worked. Both seem like a work in progress but Foobar better than Cplay in some functions. Cplay hampered on my system by volume control not working properly. Windows 7 RTM 64 bit on home built system with Core I7 920 on Asus P6T motherboard & 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM by OCZ.

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #66 of 74
This is why I'm using J. River Media Center:
L3000.gif

8iuq0vilpm87opxska4k.png

Nov 2, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #67 of 74
I find I get a weird distortion in JRiver if I have both the crossfeed and effects going at the same time.

Nov 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #70 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by P.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J. River has lower volume compared to other programs
ph34r.gif

The volume that J. River plays at should be the same as other programs. But there are many things that can affect that.

If the other programs have an EQ or bass boost or other audio processing enabled that will affect the level they play at. If the other programs are using Replay Gain or some other volume normalizing that will affect the level they play at.

So make sure all your audio programs are doing the same thing. Check if Replay Gain or some other volume leveling is enabled. Check for EQ or other effects being active. J. River Media Center can do volume leveling and other effects as well, so make sure those are all set properly.

Dec 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM Post #71 of 74
I'll be ditching WMP11 soon. VLC has taken over its music functions.

What is the most stable and yet versatile programme for lossless formats?

Dec 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #72 of 74
Mediamonkey has pretty much replaced WMP11 and VLC. The only reason for keeping WMP11 are the WMA Lossless and WMA Pro options when ripping CDs.

EAC is nice to have too.

VLC has been replaced with Mediamonkey.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #73 of 74
Hey guys would not call myself a audiophile..I own shure 440 headphones and was using it with itunes on windows 7
I couldn't believe the difference in sound when I started using Foobar 2000....excellent sound output...
Thanx for the advise, cos I was cursing my headphones for lack of bass in my heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back