Which is your favourite spirit: Bourbon, Brandy, Gin, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, Scotch, ...?
May 29, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #46 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by user18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty much a tequila/cognac guy. I have a co-worker who's about to retire. Anyone with suggestions on a good single-malt scotch to get him?

Lagavulin 16 year old. All time classic -- ranked "2008 The World's Best Islay Single Malt" by Whisky Magazine. It will be good if he has been a long time whisky drinker.

Otherwise try "Glenmorangie Nectar D'Òr Extra Matured Range Sauternes Cask" -- ranked "2008 The World's Best Highland Single Malt" by Whisky Magazine. It is smoother with more aroma.

If you are in SF, I know some Costco carry Lagavulin 16, e.g. the one in S.S.F. near the Airport. It's $62 a bottle, very good price. Glenmorangie can be found about same price at K&L Winery stores.

May 29, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #47 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are in SF, I know some Costco carry Lagavulin 16, e.g. the one in S.S.F. near the Airport. It's $62 a bottle, very good price. Glenmorangie can be found about same price at K&L Winery stores.

Thanks ast. That's actually the Costco I usually go to. Although the last time I went, I got caught up in that I380 shooter stand off. It got pretty bad.

May 30, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #48 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spunky8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Vodka lovers, try Stoli Elite. Amazing, but expensive.

Hi there!..
Thanks, I haven't tried that one. I am Russian, came here 11 years ago, and the popularity of "Stoli" here keeps amusing me. I tried it several times from a local liquor store, and it always was 6-7 on the scale of 10, not more. If they carry it where you live, try Russian Standard. Best vodka I tried here. My dad says it is significantly more expensive than Stolichnaya back there.

May 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #49 of 61
Rum for me!
Favorite is Pyrat, then Zaya

Irish whiskey is a close second, love my Jamison!

I drink all 3 straight chilled or on the rocks. If I want to mix drinks I'll often use a cheaper Rum like Cuzan 2 yr

May 30, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Vodka. Grey Goose if I can get my hands on it.

I thought Grey Goose is quite common in liquor stores?..
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #52 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wazowski /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Grey Goose is quite common in liquor stores?..
biggrin.gif

Yes, you're correct. But there are two things that affect it's availability for me. One; it's pricey, and Two; you've never seen my local liquor store. The manager didn't know what Organic Beer was. I also don't feel like going up to the city on the bus ($24) just to buy good booze.

I wish I was kidding.

May 30, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #54 of 61
Tanqueray on the rocks..........

May 30, 2008 at 1:25 PM Post #56 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpmkjp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, you're correct. But there are two things that affect it's availability for me. One; it's pricey, and Two; you've never seen my local liquor store. The manager didn't know what Organic Beer was. I also don't feel like going up to the city on the bus ($24) just to buy good booze.

I wish I was kidding.

I know what you mean. I lived in Maine for 2 years, been to NB briefly. I noticed when we moved to MD that liquor prices are actually better here, at least 10% better. Different taxes, I imagine.

I was recommending here to another guy this new import called Russian Standard, try that if you come across. I bought a bottle here on sale for ~$14, ridiculous. Must be because it's new. It's more expensive than Stolichnaya back there, and rightly so.

May 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #57 of 61
Are liquors considered as spirits?

If so my choice goes to Grand Marnier. Doesn't have the subtlety of finely made whiskies, but perfectly blends sweetness and strenght for me. Also match it up 1/1 with amaretto to make some interesting drinks
biggrin.gif

If not, after tasting some Anejo tequilas down in the province of Jalisco, I can say I love the taste... Sweet enough to take it on the rocks without lemon and salt.

May 30, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #58 of 61
It's surprising that no one voted for Aquavit.
Aquavit is the national beverage of Scandinavian countries.

Also, could the poster of The Famous Grouse picture (post no. 53) make the picture smaller?

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back