Which is the best mobile phone in the market today in terms of audio quality out of the box?
Dec 9, 2011 at 2:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

visanj

100+ Head-Fier

As we most of us have dedicated music players, its always better to have a phone with best audio quality (as a replacement for good source)

In that case which is the best mobile phone in the market today in terms of audio quality?

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 10
Out of the box that would be the iphone 4S (my Dad hs one and it sound good...not great but good) but if you root the Samsung Galaxy S (not S2 that sounds terrible) and use the Voodo app  then that would be the better option over the iPhone SQ wise though the Galaxy S is becoming a bit dated! 

Your best option IMO would be to get a dedicated DAP like the Sony Z1060 (or Z1050 smaller size 16GB) its android aswell so you can still get apps and watch movies etc with it...i currently own a SGSII and the Z and can honestly say that the screen on the Sony is better (same size not sure about resolution but the Z definatly looks crisper with more accurate colours) but it honestly sounds AMAZING the headphone out sounds better than my old RWA iMod connected with ALO LOD to a Fiio E11 thats crazy for such a slimline product that has soooo many other functionalities too! (if you do get one make sure you buy outside of EU to avoid the volume cap...i wish i had done this!)

The thing is with using phones for music is there not designed solely around audio unlike dedicated DAP´s...hence why Sony´s phones don´t use the same amp that the walkman Z does, would be way too expensive or bulky or both! 

Or if your worried about staying light you could get a Clip+ or Clip Zip (both have same SQ) they are meant to be very good and there so small with micro SD so cheap for large storage, but never heard one so cant comment...would give you better battery life having phone and audio seperate! if you go this route then you may have enough money to buy a SGSII aswell (look on ebay or somewhere similar for those people that get an upgrade and then sell their phone...thats what i did as you still have the warrantly in your name!) with this you would have IMO a better phone than the iPhone 4S (if you root it) and better or similar SQ with the Clip+ (will have do look up iphone4S vs clip+ to be sure)

But i do see the appeal having everything together as one unit and if thats what you want then iPhone4S is for you! 

Apr 12, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 10
Of those the 4s, easily.

Looking at GSMarena's review of the HTC One S and the RMAA results there looks as if it may have a small edge on the iPhone though. Bodes well for all Android devices this year being released with the Snapdragon Krait dualcore SoC, as they should all boast similar SQ.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 10

Lets assume if there is any mobile which has dedicated DAP capabilities (like cowon, hifiman etc) and Android interface (ICS etc) will there be good demand in head-fi?

Just wanted to know what head-fiers think

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 10
The Iphones sound a tad wooden and flat to me.

My sensation XE sounds better than any Iphone i have used, but both iphones and my sensation sound better than any IPOD i used either. (I dug out my old 5.5g the other day to have another comparison with the XE and its (IPOD) gone back in its drawer!)

The Samsung SGII sounds awful

Apr 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

Lets assume if there is any mobile which has dedicated DAP capabilities (like cowon, hifiman etc) and Android interface (ICS etc) will there be good demand in head-fi?

Just wanted to know what head-fiers think

For the XE,

I chose Android over IOS because i wanted a proper sized screen and more than just a phone.
I chose the XE over the SGII because the XE sounded (on test) much better than the SGII

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 10
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_live_with_walkman_review-review-669p5.php

not bad for a cheap phone, im happy with it if i dont want to lug my normal rig about

Users who are viewing this thread

Back