which is the best headphone to listen to bad recorded music :)
Feb 23, 2019 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Sound Eq

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone

This maybe the worst question to ask, but today I just started to remember those 80s songs the poppy songs, that were in my teenage years a joy to listen to, so I fired up Michael Jackson album on tidal, the BAD album, the song dirty diana, and smooth criminal, and boy listening to those on tidal using my audeze lcd4z and ifi ican pro and chord qutest, just was a miserable experience, tried to listen to depeche mode black celebration song it was awful, tried pet shops boys, the song suburbia and it was just bad. I could not continue listening to those at all, then I continued the downhill journey on tidal, and I wanted to get more cheesy and dive downhill as much as I can and typed in Modern Talking, the song brother louie, and it was a disaster on earth :), yeah don't laugh on me trying to play such song :) that I used to like 30 years ago, it was just a test. Thanks god my tastes changed to dire straits and pink floyd.

But then I started to ask myself, that before I became an audiophile, i was using cheap headphones, which I do not remember their names, I used to play on cassette or later on mp3 rips, and get joy, now 30 years later those same songs are now a punishment if I listen to them

This is where the question above started to come to my mind, which is the best headphone to enjoy those bad recorded songs :)

Maybe its time to get a Beats headphone

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #3 of 23
I think it's much greater experience and sophistication in your listening
that's causing the "problem".
Not entirely sure about the various interfaces you're using, but some
of the albums you name were/are considered very well recorded indeed.

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 23
I think it's much greater experience and sophistication in your listening
that's causing the "problem".
Not entirely sure about the various interfaces you're using, but some
of the albums you name were/are considered very well recorded indeed.

well I use audirivana and play those using tidal by accessing tidal from audirivana using macbook pro 2018, I use chord qutest and ifi ican pro, with good cardas rca interconnects so i do not know if I have a very weak link in my set up

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 23
CHKKra9UAAE5XMp.jpg

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 23
81usjXEoywL._SL1500_.jpg

Feb 24, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 23
Feb 24, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 23
But you can go jogging with these. For me the Cayin N8 with TH900 has made below average sounding tracks sound better. But Dire Straits is still boring no matter which set up I use.

Feb 24, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 23
Those 80s Pop/Rock is not in every case bad recorded. I got some used CDs with 80s Music for cheap.
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration I haven on Vinyl. Must listen to it with the Beyer T 90. I did not til today.
In General some 80s productions are less bassier than modern Music productions. Then I take my old DT 990 Professional.
When Music got sibilants then every headphone reveals this. My opinion. But there are enough good 80s in Sound. Take for example Sade, the first record of Simply Red.
Simple Minds, Steely Dan or Marilion are okay too.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #10 of 23
hd650+zana deux...

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #11 of 23
At one point I started to wonder myself about those 1980s albums. I was listening to an Eurythmics album on vinyl, and was thinking it had such great sound quality when it came out? Now it sounds thin. In fact so much of that music sounds thin, it was like thin was in. I have no answer for you, a pig with lipstick is still a pig.

Feb 24, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #12 of 23
Hi everyone

This maybe the worst question to ask, but today I just started to remember those 80s songs the poppy songs, that were in my teenage years a joy to listen to, so I fired up Michael Jackson album on tidal, the BAD album, the song dirty diana, and smooth criminal, and boy listening to those on tidal using my audeze lcd4z and ifi ican pro and chord qutest, just was a miserable experience, tried to listen to depeche mode black celebration song it was awful, tried pet shops boys, the song suburbia and it was just bad. I could not continue listening to those at all, then I continued the downhill journey on tidal, and I wanted to get more cheesy and dive downhill as much as I can and typed in Modern Talking, the song brother louie, and it was a disaster on earth :), yeah don't laugh on me trying to play such song :) that I used to like 30 years ago, it was just a test. Thanks god my tastes changed to dire straits and pink floyd.

But then I started to ask myself, that before I became an audiophile, i was using cheap headphones, which I do not remember their names, I used to play on cassette or later on mp3 rips, and get joy, now 30 years later those same songs are now a punishment if I listen to them

This is where the question above started to come to my mind, which is the best headphone to enjoy those bad recorded songs :)

Maybe its time to get a Beats headphone

I'm sure it was Quincy Jones who produced that Michael Jackson album using AKG's. I can''t remember reading about what model it was although it most likely would've been the K240.
As regards which headphone to use, well, a fun sounding headphone is probably the best solution as it makes poorly recorded music easier to listen to. In my experience anyway. I used Denon AH-D5000's to listen to everything including low bitrate mp3 in the past, the music still sounded good, due to the nature of the headphones sound. Nowadays though i'm all about accuracy, I can't listen to poorly recorded music at all and even remotely enjoy it.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 23
I'm sure it was Quincy Jones who produced that Michael Jackson album using AKG's. I can''t remember reading about what model it was although it most likely would've been the K240.
As regards which headphone to use, well, a fun sounding headphone is probably the best solution as it makes poorly recorded music easier to listen to. In my experience anyway. I used Denon AH-D5000's to listen to everything including low bitrate mp3 in the past, the music still sounded good, due to the nature of the headphones sound. Nowadays though i'm all about accuracy, I can't listen to poorly recorded music at all and even remotely enjoy it.
List of music you now listening to ? Thxs

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #14 of 23
List of music you now listening to ? Thxs
I listen to all types of music, however, I normally listen to such artists as Coldplay (not their new stuff), Radiohead, Gabrielle Aplin. I listen to some older stuff too, mostly Jimi Hendix. Classical music such as Schubert, also instrumental/soundtrack artists such as Hans-Zimmer, Thomas Newman, Sleeping At Last, Jon Hopkins.

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #15 of 23
i remember few years back when i decided to buy my first audeze lcd2 headphone, the main intention was yeah i will pay for these to enjoy an amazing experience listening to bands like michael jackson, depeche mode, eurthymics, new order, so i rushed unpacking them and hooked those to my headphone amp/dac and fired up my playlist anticipating to hear something out of this world, but what came through was just mediocore, i thought maybe something is wrong with my headphones, so i went to the read more in forums, and started to learn more and more. Long story short no matter what money on earth u spend there will be never a great experience listening to those recordings. `and now after owning tons of totl flagships, i just know such records will not be suitable to listen to with those totl headphones, and that is why my question in the thread started to maybe i need one of those more consumer headphones for such recordings. Talk bout flagships from lcd mx4, lcd4z, meze empyrean, hifinan he1000, etc, non will give any satisfaction with the above mentioned recordings, but u know my cheap hifiman edition s sounds better than all these with those bad recordings, go figure, the irony is great recorded songs will sound good on all headphones :), and here was the point which keeps me wondering if it was really worth it to get into this audiophile scene or not

and for metal music man that genre all of it mostly is not listenable at all with totl flagships, even great indie bands like coldplay whom i adore but simply non of his albums are a great experience to listen with totl flagships, what baffles me is i see youngsters wearing their beats headphones and they rock on :)

bands I used to love listening to before I got to head fi which were my all time favourites and i was like in joy listening to, are now out of my playlist completely :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back