Which is the best DIY electrostatic amp
Jul 27, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
i read somewhere in this forum that the extata was better than the BH

NO, Not, Never in any lifetime.

That's like saying Apple iBuds are better than a Stax SR009.

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 12
found it http://www.head-fi.org/t/447950/exstata-diy-electrostatic-amp-for-intermediate-diyers/2565 (said by a headphone supremus!!)

Wachara I was just hoping you read this topic. Your topic on diy electrostatics is very very inspirational. Don't know anything about this amp. And don't know circuits very well - I'm more software orientated so i was hoping someone reviewed this amp.

The reason it hasn't been done is because the site is written in old style frames - and google can't work with such sites.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 12
First of all it doesn't matter who said it - headphones supremus or not, it's just about that persons preferences.
Second thing is that Blue Hawaii is certainly better than the eXStatA, but only from technical point of view. I personnaly think, that eXStatA is not so good, because I prefered my own quite simple design (see signature) to eXStatA.

Jul 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 12
I personnaly think, that eXStatA is not so good, because I prefered my own quite simple design (see signature) to eXStatA.

Very interesting info there WRT your amp... Curious if any others have built it and shared their experiences.
Though I'm quite happy w/my dynamic setup, and cost is a barrier to electrostatic goodness, all this DIY electrostatic discussion and a friend w/full machine shop could cause me trouble:)

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 12
Jul 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #10 of 12
ok back to the topic - what do you think about the transistoramp v4

Heh, most would think my query about Amarok's DIY design on topic. Otherwise maybe rename your thread to limit its scope to that v4 thingy?
BTW there'll clearly be no "best" as there never is, best you can hope for is a survey of current DIY designs and opinions about them. And not sure you could even get that around here any longer.
Whatever. Have fun.

Jul 27, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
ok back to the topic - what do you think about the transistoramp v4

topologically very little difference from KGSS - N vs P fet front end, folded vs direct cascode is really small difference to an engineer - low noise dual monolithic matched N jfet are in current production, dual P fet promised for several years now but not yet, have to buy NOS or match discretes

bias/gain structure/feedback could be different - I haven't looked that deep

KGSSHV is another to look at more recent dev means more current parts availability discussion can be found

Jul 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 12
The Transistor amp started off as a SRM-1 Mk2 ripoff (hence the p-channel) but has morphed closer to the KGSS over the versions.  I'm biased (
cool.gif
) but the KGSSHV is a far better design and easy to build.  All parts are either in current production or easy to find.  There is even a version on the books that can almost be 100% built with parts from Mouser... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back