Which is the Best Allrounder?
Jun 30, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #78 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.......I have a K701 and while it is a nice phone I do not agree that it is neutral compared to my other phones or my dedicated Speaker system or of my recollection of live events such as classical concerts. I also agree with another poster who stated that soundstage is determined by the original recording / mic techniques. While for some the AKG 701s soundstage is "huge" for some others myself included it is artificial. A good test for soundstage is the original RCA Living Stereo or Mercury Living Presence recordings of the 50s and 60s (mostly classical ) or binaural recordings.
ksc75smile.gif

Yes, that is a big fault of the 701/2, everything is enlarged, even when it shouldn't be.. Does sound fun & engulfing, but every recording shouldn't have the same depth & overall size of the 701 sound stage.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your post is logical in many aspects, but what I dont understand is when you compare your quads with cans????? can you? are you using the magical Phonitor to simulate directionality and imaging? even if you do have the phonitor, it would never even be close to simulating them....

I use cans when I cannot listen to my main rig, there is simply no can in the world, not orpheus or L3000, k1000, O2's, etc., that could even scratch the soundstage, definition, imaging, NEUTRALITY, expansiveness, resolution, etc, of my Kharma's CRM3.2 FE's and the electronics I use to drive them, or any other good speaker system like the one you might have with your quads.

Cans are inherently NOT neutral, colored one way or the other, their soundstage is and imaging is not natural so neither the k701 nor your beloved senns are neutral not natural, however the k701 is one of the closest to neutral, but certainly not close enough and not natural.

So you dont like them because of their "neutrality", OK, I also dont like the hd600, hd650 because of their plastic rendering, thats how it goes, but please dont bring the quads into the argument, its simply not fare to any headphone. Live music and headphones are a bad comparison....

cheers,

So headphones can't be neutral & are always colored?? Beyerdynamics must be liars (& NAGRA clueless) cause their engineering data for the DT48 states uncolored sound.. What do you know that the Beyer engineers don't? You sound really piffy too.. Nothing to get worked up about.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #80 of 91
From the experience I have from different cans, I would say HD600 or DT880/250. other I have used frequently are AKG K401 and HD595. DT880s and HD600s are a bit tough to run for an allrounder (if should be used in portable rigs also). But if I limit allrounder to cover only different music and genres in my desktop rig, they are the most "allround" I have seen. I prefer DT880s over HD600s for the brighter sound which gives a feeling of a bit more detailed and faster reproduction of sound.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]
So . . ., does this make the Senn HD25-1 the ultimate all-rounder?
icon10.gif
[/size]

If "all arounder" includes isolation and not bothering others with sound leaking out (and there's no reason to exclude these parameters), then such headphones would have to be closed. But of course there are many closed headphones. It's not like the HD25-1 II are the only ones. So, no, it would not be the ultimate. The question unasked in this thread is pointless to ask or attempt to answer, but nice try.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #82 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So headphones can't be neutral & are always colored?? Beyerdynamics must be liars (& NAGRA clueless) cause their engineering data for the DT48 states uncolored sound.. What do you know that the Beyer engineers don't? You sound really piffy too.. Nothing to get worked up about.

yes, yes, we know you love the DT48's, its acknowledged, OK?
By the way kbi, what is the measurement of color that is used by the Beyer and Nagra engineers?

Jun 30, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #83 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes, yes, we know you love the DT48's, its acknowledged, OK?
By the way kbi, what is the measurement of color that is used by the Beyer and Nagra engineers?

Visible wavelengths in nanometers, duh.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If "all arounder" includes isolation and not bothering others with sound leaking out (and there's no reason to exclude these parameters), then such headphones would have to be closed. But of course there are many closed headphones. It's not like the HD25-1 II are the only ones. So, no, it would not be the ultimate. The question unasked in this thread is pointless to ask or attempt to answer, but nice try.

[size=small]
I was half teasing you. However, you also mentioned portability as a factor in your first post in this thread. I dare say the HD25-1, with a suitable cable upgrade, is a great portable all rounder.
tongue.gif
[/size]

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kenwood KH K1000.
But not many people onwn them here, so it probably won't be general opinion.

But I will second them. Always reach for them. Never frustrated whilst listening to many different kinds of music. Just listened to some Rap, then classical. Happy with both, well happy with any kind of music.

Nov 6, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #86 of 91
KH K1000 wonder if they are similar to the German Maestros?. The description fits at least. It´s a superb allrounder in an entirely different way then the Pro 900. The only thing that upsets some is the less then stellar soundstaging.

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #88 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphapig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's an interesting characterization. Do you feel the same way about the K702? I have an HD600 on the way. Maybe I will be able to hear what you do after a good listen....

K702 and K701 are the same headphone except for color.

Nov 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #90 of 91
Good, this thread came up again. No problem teasing, all in fun.

FWIR...

It should require no bravery to consider the HD25-1 II a great portable all-arounder. However, it hardly should be considered the "ultimate" for everyone. Others of course have preferred other closed headphones to the HD25-1 II.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=small]
I was half teasing you. However, you also mentioned portability as a factor in your first post in this thread. I dare say the HD25-1, with a suitable cable upgrade, is a great portable all rounder.
tongue.gif
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back