Which is the Best Allrounder?
Jun 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #61 of 91
Maybe I'm stupid, ignorant or etc. I just believe the best-all-around headphone could be the Denon 1001 no matter the price. I have used these in SS headphone amp, tubed headphone amp, MP3 players, portable CD players, home CD player with headphone jack, SS integrated amp with headphone jack, Toshiba laptop and a SS preamplifier with headphone jack(just to give you an idea of the sources I've used them from). These headphones have never disappointed I think they sound fantastic in any source I have used them in, of cousre they sound different depending on the source. but I have always sounded smooooth and balanced throughout the entire frequency range and never stringent or harsh but always revealing in every way. But like I said at the beginning maybe I'm Stupid. Happy Listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #62 of 91
Just picked up a set of DT 990 2005 250 ohm models. To me even after 60+ hours of burn in they are a little heavy on the high and low extremes. I may try a set of either the HD600's or the DT 880 600 ohm models. They are driven by a Apogee Duet as the dac and a Mingda MC84-C07 tube amp. Any suggestions on one of those 2 or another?

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701 neutral!?...what......

I think the K701 is far more neutral than the DT880. But I don't wish to argue at all.

For the OP a really good all rounder would be either the HD580/HD600. The HD650 has a bass boost/hump that make it more colored and better for a little bassier music IMO.

Jun 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Train-Derail-3.jpg

A train derail! oddly mirthful.... what exactly did you want to say?
wink_face.gif

By the way, Im surprised no one has put the HD800 as the best allarounder, I cant because I havent listened to them, but the hype bandwagon surely has something to say to put them in this über category... or maybe not...

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see the MS-Pro get much criticism either (besides from some RS-1 fans saying its too laid back or that it lacks a bit in soundstage). I actually don't see it mentioned on here much at all as people usually go for the RS-1 instead for some reason. I hope to get a pair of the Pros someday myself.

Main problem in my corner of the world is the price of the MS-Pros : almost double what we pay for K701 and approaching 3 times the price of the AD900. Most of the criticism I have read seems to come from people who clearly dont like Grado phones : complaints that they are 'harsh' for a headphone at this level. I'll take excitement over the nth degree of finesse, but then I love the MS1 so I guess I'm not a very objective voice.
o2smile.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #66 of 91
My opinion is the hd595. I've gone thru a lot of cans and when I'm on my laptop, I still come back to them. Here are some of my reasons.

1. It handles every type of music reasonably well.
2. It doesn't need amping
3. It's affordable
4. It's well made (durable)
5. Only 1 cable (easy of use)
6. Comfy
7. Looks pretty good
8. Comes with headphone holder

I feel neutrality is misinterpreted. You never hear anyone say they want a neutral car or neutral food. That just means bland. Water is neutral. So water does handle all kinds of thirst well. But gatorade taste so much better. You want your heaphones to be water? My iPhone earbuds are water. My 595s are gatorade.

Jun 28, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #67 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion is the hd595. I've gone thru a lot of cans and when I'm on my laptop, I still come back to them. Here are some of my reasons.

1. It handles every type of music reasonably well.
2. It doesn't need amping
3. It's affordable
4. It's well made (durable)
5. Only 1 cable (easy of use)
6. Comfy
7. Looks pretty good
8. Comes with headphone holder

I feel neutrality is misinterpreted. You never hear anyone say they want a neutral car or neutral food. That just means bland. Water is neutral. So water does handle all kinds of thirst well. But gatorade taste so much better. You want your heaphones to be water? My iPhone earbuds are water. My 595s are gatorade.

Philly/Singapore. As a long time Philly-type, I love it!

No one wants a neutral car or neutral food because there is no reference car or food. What people like in these areas tends to be mostly subjective and/or esthetic.

Music (or at least most music) exists as a "thing". You can go to a concert, sing in the shower, hear a guitarist in the subway or a string quartet at the foo foo department store around Christmas and that experience is the reference. So a worthy goal is to reproduce that experience as best as we can.

That's the idea of "neutrality", anyway. Let the conductor, musicians and, in some music, the engineer determine the "flavor" and how much salt and pepper to add. And hope the system can reproduce it as they intended.

Identifying what reproducers are actually neutral is quite another thing. And another talk show.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #70 of 91
.......I have a K701 and while it is a nice phone I do not agree that it is neutral compared to my other phones or my dedicated Speaker system or of my recollection of live events such as classical concerts. I also agree with another poster who stated that soundstage is determined by the original recording / mic techniques. While for some the AKG 701s soundstage is "huge" for some others myself included it is artificial. A good test for soundstage is the original RCA Living Stereo or Mercury Living Presence recordings of the 50s and 60s (mostly classical ) or binaural recordings.
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #72 of 91
allrounders in this case I took as working for most genres. Isolation and such shouldn´t matter for a dime
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #73 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
allrounders in this case I took as working for most genres. Isolation and such shouldn´t matter for a dime
smily_headphones1.gif

And that's just what the OP asked for. The all arounder for your own uses, which may or may not include isolation or portability.

However, if answering the question not asked, which headphones are the best all arounder, period, then those headphones would have to be closed in order to better serve all around duty, with a multitude of genres included.

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And that's just what the OP asked for. The all arounder for your own uses, which may or may not include isolation or portability.

However, if answering the question not asked, which headphones are the best all arounder, period, then those headphones would have to be closed in order to better serve all around duty, with a multitude of genres included.

[size=small]
So . . ., does this make the Senn HD25-1 the ultimate all-rounder?
icon10.gif
[/size]

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by k3oxkjo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philly/Singapore. As a long time Philly-type, I love it!

No one wants a neutral car or neutral food because there is no reference car or food. What people like in these areas tends to be mostly subjective and/or esthetic.

Music (or at least most music) exists as a "thing". You can go to a concert, sing in the shower, hear a guitarist in the subway or a string quartet at the foo foo department store around Christmas and that experience is the reference. So a worthy goal is to reproduce that experience as best as we can.

That's the idea of "neutrality", anyway. Let the conductor, musicians and, in some music, the engineer determine the "flavor" and how much salt and pepper to add. And hope the system can reproduce it as they intended.

Identifying what reproducers are actually neutral is quite another thing. And another talk show.

That's just it. The best it can reproduce is still far from the real experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back