Which is really burning in, your headphones or your ears?
Mar 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #47 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats a disgusting analogy, I'm honestly sickened, why in the hell would you say something like this?!

My apologies; I can be a little insensitive at times. I'm sorry, that really was quite rash of me. My sense of humor is a little morbid. I removed it from my post; could you kindly do the same so we can put this behind us?

Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks can be deceiving, also, have you seen the new redesigned Grado's?

You mean the kryptonites!? DO WANT.

No, I haven't; I have a more recent edition of the 225, though... But there's still a lot of uneven plastic and the screen mesh is glued on strangely.

I'm thinking of designing and building my own housing (after I've bought a second pair of something); After all, it's the driver that makes the most difference in sound. Besides, where I'm headed, I'll have access to a 3D printer. The possibilities are almost limitless. I could have KITTEN-SHAPED DRIVER HOUSINGS!

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #48 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the kryptonites!? DO WANT.

No, I haven't; I have a more recent edition of the 225, though... But there's still a lot of uneven plastic and the screen mesh is glued on strangely.

I'm thinking of designing and building my own housing (after I've bought a second pair of something); After all, it's the driver that makes the most difference in sound. Besides, where I'm headed, I'll have access to a 3D printer. The possibilities are almost limitless. I could have KITTEN-SHAPED DRIVER HOUSINGS!

I mean the SR-225i/125i/80i/60i redesign, they all match the 325i/GS-1000 shape better (the mushroom look I guess)

looks like they're cutting the plastic a bit smoother for them, but haven't actually had one to hold

I know on my old SR-60's, the plastic inset for the words (so where it says "GRADO LABS", the black plastic behind that) wasn't even around the circle, really bugged me, but the SR-225's were flawless (and like you said, the 325i and higher are excellently built)

still, at the ~$65 for SR-60's, the build quality is suberb (compare it to what you can get from Sony or similar for ~$65)

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #49 of 68
Hmm. Some speculation: Seems to me that while the sound quality flattens out for the price, the visuals and build quality take on an upswing. There's only so much you can do to better the sound in the higher-ups, so I guess the rest is invested in market appeal.

Interesting tactic, but I'd rather have cheaper high-end s**t-show Grados with better sound, wouldn't you?

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #50 of 68
Oh, and RE: the flame war that didn't happen...

It's because I know I can be a dick and correct myself accordingly. People who flame are not aware that they're dicks, rule of thumb.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #51 of 68
well, the way Grado would describe it, and I mostly agree, is that they move to better materials as they move up the line, the drivers are all from the same family (I don't want to say its the same driver in every 'phone, my understanding is that its similar to foundary binning, all drivers start as a "GS-1000" and if they can't be paired together exceptionally well, or don't meet whatever standards to be put into a GS-1000, they become RS-1's and so on down the line)

so basically as you move up the line you gain features, for example going from the SR-60 to the SR-80 you change pads, from the SR-80 to the SR-125 you get more opened grilles, to the SR-225 you gain metal grilles, and better driver matching, SR-325 gets you the metal enclosure (which influences sound a bit, probably less dramatic compared to the new i series, as the geometry is now more or less the same), better grilles, etc

its all about minor changes, diminishing returns, etc

and of course, the higher price makes them more wanted/sought, theres an interesting thread about "What makes a headphone audiophile grade", where some interesting points were made by Uncle Erik about viral marketing and all that jazz for high end "audiophile" hps, basically they're priced higher and made to look nice, to be sold as luxury items, aesthetics matter to a lot of people who would spend $1000+ on a pair of hp's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and RE: the flame war that didn't happen...

It's because I know I can be a dick and correct myself accordingly. People who flame are not aware that they're dicks, rule of thumb.

HA! I agree
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:38 PM Post #52 of 68
Lots of misconceptions with your post.

SR60i, 80i and 125i share the same grill. Always have AFAIK

SR225i and SR325is share the same grill as well. 225i and 325is have UHPLC drivers, but 60i, 80i and 125i do not. All drivers 225i and up are matched to 0.05 dB.

I would seriously doubt that Grado bins drivers between the lines. I know they did on the HP series, but I don't believe they do any longer.

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #53 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn to believe
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, just started to read this thread and this is such a win.
atsmile.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #54 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of misconceptions with your post.

SR60i, 80i and 125i share the same grill. Always have AFAIK

SR225i and SR325is share the same grill as well. 225i and 325is have UHPLC drivers, but 60i, 80i and 125i do not. All drivers 225i and up are matched to 0.05 dB.

I would seriously doubt that Grado bins drivers between the lines. I know they did on the HP series, but I don't believe they do any longer.

I'm guessing at the binning thing, because it seems most rational (how else would you explain the house sound being so strongly maintained, unless they're all at least derived from the same root driver, maybe not empircally binned, but it all comes from the same root schematic (just like, for example, all Pentium 4's come from the same root schematic (per internal revision, I know this is a broad example, but I don't feel like coming up with a specific example that isn't overly complex))

the website used to claim the SR-125 as having improved airflow over the SR-80, and the SR-225 as having still improved airflow over that (of course this is all re-written now for the 80i/60i/125i release (so saying always have means that they've been the same for their entire ~week of existence))

the 125i has UHPLC drivers (as per Grado's website), and is claimed to be based upon the SR-80 (which is claimed to be based upon the SR-60)

there isn't really a large difference between any of the Grado 'phones, in the sense that the biggest difference is how much crap is written on their individual marketing cards, you can A/B between any of the current line (PS-1000 excluded as I've never heard it) and really not be able to guess at the pricing accurately (because its no indication of performance, its just marketing fluff)

and I always understood the matching to be like a maximum tolerance "these are going to be no further than X db apart", but I could be mistaken (and I do see that they're all at 0.05 dB apart, but like I said, you can A/B any two of them and not notice any dramatic differences, and yes I've heard the GS-1000 alongside a few cheaper models)

Mar 3, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #55 of 68
Both, I would say. Sort of...
Your headphones burn-in, but receiving an electrical signal and move its parts by it. While your ears adapt to the sound signature.

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #56 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you had 2 pairs its a shame you didnt leave one new for comparison. as heated as the subject of burn in is, be it on amps, headphones, cables, etc... the actual ABX tests between new and "burned in" performed by members are few and far between.

Flame on!
angry_face.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #58 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the very outside chance that you haven't read the real answer yet, continue below:

Links are no fun at all.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back