Which is really burning in, your headphones or your ears?
Mar 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #31 of 68
The ears are an astounding sensory organ, and the brain, an equally astounding computer.

Consider this:

Maybe burn-in does exist, but it is incredibly minimal- yet, the ears pick up the minuscule shift in earphones' sound. Perhaps from there, this slight change in sound is registered with the conscious mind, but due to its almost negligible degree, is ignored. The sub-conscious mind, however, does not ignore information, and the end result is that, although it does sound slightly different, and although we can't actually tell the difference, our sub-conscious minds tell us that there has been a change, and we simply assume it's for the better?

Of course, none of this is well-founded at all, it's just speculation.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
angry_face.gif

popcorn.gif

I find oleblueyez very helpful. I kinda like the guy. His crusade is a mental testament to man. There's a lot to be admired for his tenacity.

Sorry, as you were saying.....

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #34 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
problem is, its a "completely different sound" that has never registered in any tests. So many things can change the quality of the sound from a headphone, from something as simple as a higher volume level to a better fit.

its not subjective either if you expect to hear an effect from the "burn in" even before you put the headphone on.

i know tests on speakers have been performed where the graphs have indeed changed (for the better i might add), but thats in the case of much larger drivers. However i think it could still be argued if the actual qualities of the sound between a new and burned in speaker could even be determined by anyone but a trained sound engineer.

Same volume same source same everything. We did the experiment to determine if burn-in was 'real' or not. Personally I did not expect or believe there would be any change, but the difference was night and day. Before was thin and shrill, after was full bodied and creamy. It was really astounding and I know believe that (at least with some phones) it is more than just the brain that adjusts.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 68
Good question!
I am pretty sure that headphones need burn-in but a lot of the changes we hear are in your head. I had the same when I got my already burnt-in pair of DT880s. I could swear the were changing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #36 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find oleblueyez very helpful. I kinda like the guy. His crusade is a mental testament to man. There's a lot to be admired for his tenacity.

I can never pass up a good line from a straight man. It just wouldnt be me.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

oh I think blueyez is a great guy, we just don't exactly see eye to eye on the AKG vs Sennheiser debate, can't help it that I'm in the right either
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #38 of 68
Quote:

oh I think blueyez is a great guy, we just don't exactly see eye to eye on the AKG vs Sennheiser debate, can't help it that I'm in the right either
tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

Well if it makes you feel any better my 501 and 580's were destroyed by the Grado 325i's
tongue_smile.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can never pass up a good line from a straight man. It just wouldnt be me.
biggrin.gif

Yuk.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

tongue.gif
beerchug.gif

IMO, Sennheisers are damn ugly.

**You're right, too much 4chan. I have to remember that some people still have emotions.**

Although Senns do sound pretty nice coupled with old school sources/recordings. Grados have a similar problem; Up until the 325s, they look cheap, even though the high-end sound quality and detail of Grados are nearly insurmountable.

I'm considering of getting a pair of AKGs as well-- I've heard some good things.

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #44 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, Sennheisers are damn ugly.

to each his own

Quote:

Although Senns do sound pretty nice coupled with old school sources/recordings. Grados have a similar problem; Up until the 325s, they look cheap, even though the high-end sound quality and detail of Grados are nearly insurmountable.

looks can be deceiving, also, have you seen the new redesigned Grado's?

Mar 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #45 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same volume same source same everything. We did the experiment to determine if burn-in was 'real' or not. Personally I did not expect or believe there would be any change, but the difference was night and day. Before was thin and shrill, after was full bodied and creamy. It was really astounding and I know believe that (at least with some phones) it is more than just the brain that adjusts.

if you had 2 pairs its a shame you didnt leave one new for comparison. as heated as the subject of burn in is, be it on amps, headphones, cables, etc... the actual ABX tests between new and "burned in" performed by members are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back