Which is really burning in, your headphones or your ears?
Mar 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

dimisam

Head-Fier
I was wondering if the burn in effect that so often talked about on head fi might be more due to your ears adapting to the headphone rather than the headphone changing significantly by loosening up. What do you guys think, is burn in is completely a headphone thing or is it an ear adapting thing or is it a mixture of both in some proportion?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #3 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been discussed many times before. Many, many times. A plethora of times. Innumerable times.

See this thread for a start, especially the last question:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...urn-faq-56744/

Lol my bad- any way to close this thread?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol my bad- any way to close this thread?

Probably too late now. The gremlins will start appearing any second. They can't be stopped. The gate only swings one way.
beyersmile.png

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 68
we can always start another post of discussions... the topic is just too broad and appliesdifferently to different people. Also it various too much... its best to just focus on one headphone or something.

Personally after my ears gets trained with the Ultrasone Pro 750 cheaper headphones sounds good too :p

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This has been discussed many times before. Many, many times. A plethora of times. Innumerable times.

See this thread for a start, especially the last question:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...urn-faq-56744/

So what?

Answer the guy's question. Why be a dick?

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #8 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by dimisam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was wondering if the burn in effect that so often talked about on head fi might be more due to your ears adapting to the headphone rather than the headphone changing significantly by loosening up. What do you guys think, is burn in is completely a headphone thing or is it an ear adapting thing or is it a mixture of both in some proportion?

I highly suggest you read this, it doesnt refute or support the phenomenon of "Burn In" but its directly linked to the authors point of the psychological part of sound.

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/Can%20Y...our%20Ears.pdf

this thread would probably also be better served in the Sound Science section.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #9 of 68
Mostly your ears.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #10 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's nice. You're a real class act.

If you read the FAQ, you'll see that this has been discussed many times before, and there is a wealth of information that can be obtained by a search.

And threads like this tend to be very argumentative and inflammatory, bringing out the worst in people, as evidenced by your tasteless reply.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #12 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what?

He wasn't being mean or sarcastic. The link that he posted contains genuine information and is very helpful, and head-fi would be a better place if people used the search function more often. There is no reason to be rude.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #13 of 68
I think it depends on the phones. I have test listened (approx. 20 mins) to 2 pairs of grado 325 (along with a few friends) on some tracks, let them burn in for several hours and test listened to the same tracks afterwards. Completely different sound. I don't think our ears changed.

Mar 3, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #15 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends on the phones. I have test listened (approx. 20 mins) to 2 pairs of grado 325 (along with a few friends) on some tracks, let them burn in for several hours and test listened to the same tracks afterwards. Completely different sound. I don't think our ears changed.

For what each individual knows... burn-in could be subjective.

However, I agree completely that Grados definitely improve with burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back