Which is really burning in, your headphones or your ears?
Mar 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by geremy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it depends on the phones. I have test listened (approx. 20 mins) to 2 pairs of grado 325 (along with a few friends) on some tracks, let them burn in for several hours and test listened to the same tracks afterwards. Completely different sound. I don't think our ears changed.

problem is, its a "completely different sound" that has never registered in any tests. So many things can change the quality of the sound from a headphone, from something as simple as a higher volume level to a better fit.

its not subjective either if you expect to hear an effect from the "burn in" even before you put the headphone on.

i know tests on speakers have been performed where the graphs have indeed changed (for the better i might add), but thats in the case of much larger drivers. However i think it could still be argued if the actual qualities of the sound between a new and burned in speaker could even be determined by anyone but a trained sound engineer.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #17 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's nice. You're a real class act.

If you read the FAQ, you'll see that this has been discussed many times before, and there is a wealth of information that can be obtained by a search.

And threads like this tend to be very argumentative and inflammatory, bringing out the worst in people, as evidenced by your tasteless reply.

X2.

Mar 3, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #18 of 68
is this a discussion forum, or simply a place to find information?

cause if it is the latter (which i don't really think it is) then I agree with everyone saying, hey read about it, do a search.

but if it's a discussion forum, then let's discuss! Although, I agree that since it has been discussed many times before, most of the more knowledgable people will not chime in, and you'll wind up with people who want to pick a fight, or maybe don't know as much...

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by plonter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am a true burn in believer myself...

Burn to believe
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 68
i burn-in my headphones the old fashioned way...while listening to my music 8)

cant detect any "dramatic" changes either

Mar 3, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have some 701's then it is definitly your ears!
biggrin.gif

I'll disagree with this one....but I'm not going to buy a new 701 to compare mine too. I believe my ears or brain...and yes my ears are an input device to the cpu called the brain so yeah...my brain registers the burn in from the headphones.

So...those with closed minds cannot hear the difference perhaps.

wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 1:45 PM Post #24 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you have some 701's then it is definitly your ears!
biggrin.gif

bigsmile_face.gif

I'm waiting to see how you can bring the 701s sounding bad into a power cable discussion.

I have noticed burn in/break in on both my 701s and the amp. I've not noticed as much with my cables but those two I cannot say was based on human adjustment. I listened to them one day and they sound as they have the last several times, the next day, they are different. The next day in this case was coming off the road from the week and hearing them. I ran my gear for three weeks non stop. If it broke, there would be no, oh it's out of warranty.

Mar 3, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #25 of 68
I personally believe in burn-in. However, another thing to take note of is that it could also be a totally different cause from the two options you have considered. It could be something as simple as the earpads have softened a bit, thus forming a better seal and getting the driver closer to your ear. It could be any number of little things like that. I think head-fi tends to be "driver dominated" at times. That is, almost all sonic qualities are attributed to driver performance and the rest of the headphone is just seen as a device to hold the driver up to your ear. This can be very misleading, as in my experience things like pads can have just as much, or more of an effect than the drivers do.

Mar 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is this a discussion forum, or simply a place to find information?

cause if it is the latter (which i don't really think it is) then I agree with everyone saying, hey read about it, do a search.

but if it's a discussion forum, then let's discuss! Although, I agree that since it has been discussed many times before, most of the more knowledgable people will not chime in, and you'll wind up with people who want to pick a fight, or maybe don't know as much...

X2! I have noticed, as of late, people have been screaming "search the forums". While the search function should always be used, this attitude still goes against the basic understanding of what this site is about "discussing headphones and helping other discover the headphone world".

Anyways back to the subject at hand.

I believe it is both. Headphones do benefit from burn/break in but as you listen to them your ears also adjust. As you ears/brain adjust to what its hearing you mind start filling in the blanks and adjusting expectations to make the overall sound more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back