Which is better for Classical Music GS1000, RS1 or K701???
Feb 20, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #16 of 37
i like the K701 for classical.

the 701 has a wide sound stage, excellent detail, and an overall nice balanced sound. good for reproducing instruments and voices. plus not too bright or bass heavy.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #17 of 37
GS-1000 I found OK for classical but the upper mids/lower treble were a bit odd for me and tended to verge on painful on some of the material I listened on. I find the K701 to be more pleasant overall for classical and get the harmonics better, which I guess is something I tend to appreciate. However, if you've just gotta move onto something else (I wouldn't consider either the GS-1000 or RS-1 to be an upgrade so much as a change), the GS-1000 is probably the better way to go. When I think classical, I definitely do not think RS-1.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #18 of 37
He isn't looking for 'you should go to the store and listen' in this thread I think, I'm just guessing he could figure that one out on himself. He is obviously looking for some opinions, thus lets give the man some. Furthermore they are both good for classical, but head to head the GS1000 wins hands down, imo.

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:57 AM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stax?

No. Why?
smily_headphones1.gif
For piano alone, maybe.

The Grado GS1000 are the obvious, evident winner for opera and classical. There are no better headphones for this genre whatever driver technology we'd consider. Putting the K701's against them is a joke. Classical is not only about soundstage which the GS1000's do better.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #22 of 37
Thanks so much for the insightful input everyone. It seems as though the GS 1000 would be the choice for classical and opera. I have also read some excellent reviews in the audiophile press concerning the GS1000.

My observation of the K701 after 200 hours of listening has been that they are sterile and lacking in presenting the music in an "organic" manor. Also there does not seem to be a sense of "air" around the musical instruments, which my ears gives a cardboard type sound. This could be a characteristic of a lot of phones. I am not knocking the 701's just compairing them to my planar speaker setup. I hope the GS100 will be an improvement.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #24 of 37
Your desciption of the K701's is exactly what I heard. GS1000 is very very different.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot understand how you are able to listen to classical music with a GS1000 - because it falsifies the sound of the instruments. OK, the have nice soundstage and good resolution, and sound somehow "exciting", but far from being natural.
To my ears, the are kinda top-class car-hifi...

The GS1000 exciting?????
confused_face_2.gif

And even like car-hifi, You have very different ears than mine for sure.....
The GS1000 are not agressive, not even a bit forward to my ears.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by eddie78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is why i put "exciting" in quotation marks. To my ears, they only consist of bass and treble, the mids are completely lost. Pointing only towards the effects... like cheap car-hifi on a high level. To my ears they sound completely wrong - don't know how to describe it.

Obviously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back