Which is better for Classical Music GS1000, RS1 or K701???
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Scooterboy

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to upgrade my K701s and have narrowed it down to the RS-1 or GS 1000 which would be better for classical music. I don't want to be on the stage but in row "H"

My signature gives a detail of my Amplification and Source.

Thanks for your help.
darthsmile.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 37
GS1000 definetly. RS1 is wonderfull but too small soundstage for the larger (symphonic etc.) pieces. K701 is YAWN.

Feb 19, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 37
I've owned them all at the same time. The GS-1000 is definitely the best for classical music.

The RS-1s don't have the sound stage to handle symphonies. Everything sounds very congested. The K701 sounded a bit sterile and unnatural to me.

The GS-1000 also excels very well with vinyl. The Woo6 is about the best match I've heard with the GSs as well. It's like your set up was made for them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 37
I have to wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters. The GS1000s are wonderful for classical. So much so that I am planning at some point to replace my K701s with them since the AKGs used to be my goto classical 'phone. I got to spend several days with a pair of GS1000 on loan and absolutely fell in love with them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:03 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to upgrade my K701s and have narrowed it down to the RS-1 or GS 1000 which would be better for classical music. I don't want to be on the stage but in row "H"

My signature gives a detail of my Amplification and Source.

Thanks for your help.
darthsmile.gif

Definitely whichever YOUR ears like more, not what vvranij, robm321, Dromonron, Kees or warrior05 prefers. Which means, K701 may be the best, and GS1000 would not be an upgrade and waste of the money!

If you are going to spend over $1000 dollars on headphones, For all Sanity Go Listen Before Buying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't listen or read anything anyone here says. At that price range, you gotta go hear for yourself, and decide for yourself. YOU YOU YOU!

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going by your row H comment, it sounds like you want either less treble or a smaller stage, if not both.

I took row "H" to mean he was looking for a wider soundstage. Being closer to the stage would mean everything hits you all at once, thus shrinking it.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I took row "H" to mean he was looking for a wider soundstage. Being closer to the stage would mean everything hits you all at once, thus shrinking it.

Ah, I see. In that case, I'm not sure the GS1000 would be an upgrade if he's looking for soundstage. There's another user here with both the GS1000 and the AD700, and he's repeatedly found the AD700 to have a larger stage. I've never heard the GS1000, but I have the K701 and the AD700, and I'm reasonably sure the AD700 has the larger, airier stage. This doesn't mean he wouldn't enjoy the GS1000, of course, but I don't know if he'd find the soundstage much bigger than that on the K701.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 37
Well, at least you don't REALLY need an amp for any, but do you really think it's smart to shell out +$700 for a set of GS-1000's that you haven't (well actually I don't know if you did, just assuming) even tried?

My point is, you should audition ANY set of cans before you buy it, maybe a generous Head Fi'er would allow you to try (But you'll have to cover shipping both ways).

Well, that's just some advice from a newb
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, I see. In that case, I'm not sure the GS1000 would be an upgrade if he's looking for soundstage. There's another user here with both the GS1000 and the AD700, and he's repeatedly found the AD700 to have a larger stage. I've never heard the GS1000, but I have the K701 and the AD700, and I'm reasonably sure the AD700 has the larger, airier stage. This doesn't mean he wouldn't enjoy the GS1000, of course, but I don't know if he'd find the soundstage much bigger than that on the K701.

If my memory serves me well, in your experience you listened to the K-701 only from your laptop...is this correct?? It's not bad thing, but you can do much MUCH better with a nice amp/DAC or a minimum sound card.
ph34r.gif

When I first listened to my K-702, it was through the Phonitor amp, so I got and idea of how they can sound from a fully professional perspective.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If my memory serves me well, in your experience you listened to the K-701 only from your laptop...is this correct?? It's not bad thing, but you can do much MUCH better with a nice amp/DAC or a minimum sound card.
ph34r.gif

When I first listened to my K-702, it was through the Phonitor amp, so I got and idea of how they can sound from a fully professional perspective.

I started out with the laptop, yes, but nowadays I pretty much do everything with the K701 through my UB802. It's a simple amp, but I like it. Someday, I might try a more spiffy amp, though. :O)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back