Which iPod has the best sound quality?
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus
I was curious which iPod has the best sound quality, the newest generation Classic or the Touch? I need at least 80 gb so that is what I need to choose from.

I see that there seem to be more (better) equalizer apps for the Touch than the Classic so I guess this should be taken into account.

Btw, I am using this in conjunction with a portable amp and DAC.

Thanks,
Ken

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 13
I guide you to this link:

http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

Most of the time it comes down the the DAC inside the iPod regarding sound quality.  This of course is predicated by the fact your are already playing high quality files.  Something compressed no more than down to 256 kbps will work fine.

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks. I had read this article actually. I am wondering if it even makes a difference if using an external DAC as I am. The DAC is being bypassed in the iPod and basically the iPod is just being used as a hard drive. At least, this is my view.
Ken

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
Thanks. I had read this article actually. I am wondering if it even makes a difference if using an external DAC as I am. The DAC is being bypassed in the iPod and basically the iPod is just being used as a hard drive. At least, this is my view.
Ken

What DAC are you using? Only a very small number of them can bypass an iDevice's internals. If you have one such DAC, then there's no difference between iPods, they're just acting as transports.

Jul 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I'm using the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo.
Ken

I don't think it matters what iPod you are using then, like Gofre said before.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
I don't think it matters what iPod you are using then, like Gofre said before.

Nope, it doesn't. Shoot for the highest capacity you can find at the cheapest price. Nothing else matters unless the UI is important to you, in which case the iPod Touch is better. But, of course, then you're limited to 64GB. If you're gonna use lossless, I wouldn't suggest anything lower than 80GB.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #10 of 13
If you were not using an external dac, then the best ipods were the 5th generation which had a wolfson dac.  They sounded best.  Obviously, for right now in terms of maximum storage if you have uncompressed files the ipod classic has the most. I use an ipod classic hooked to a Fostex Hp-P1 which sounds very good. Sounds even better when the HP-P1 is used just as a dac and fed to a headphone amp that is good.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
If you were not using an external dac, then the best ipods were the 5th generation which had a wolfson dac.  They sounded best.  

That is a matter of opinion....not everyone agrees.

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
If you were not using an external dac, then the best ipods were the 5th generation which had a wolfson dac.  They sounded best.  Obviously, for right now in terms of maximum storage if you have uncompressed files the ipod classic has the most. I use an ipod classic hooked to a Fostex Hp-P1 which sounds very good. Sounds even better when the HP-P1 is used just as a dac and fed to a headphone amp that is good.

I thought the amp in the HP-P1 wasn't defeatable :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back