Which inexpensive closed phones sound open?
Sep 20, 2004 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
Here's the deal. I need good headphones for work that don't leak. The PX-100s leak, but I like the sound. Do the PX-200s not leak? Problem is that I'm used to phones like my Etymotic ER-4Ps and such that have nice neutral sound and sound very crisp. I tried the Senn HD-212 Pros but found them a little muffled sounding, same for the AT ATH-M30. I liked the Senn 477s more, but then realized that they were open. I guess I just like the sound from more open phones. Other problem is that I really want to keep it under $50.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 21
Very good question, actually. I want something I can easily and quickly take on and off since I'm at work. I think the sealed canal phones are too much trouble in this environment.

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #8 of 21
Several Q's?

How long would you use them for (at a time)?
Would you mind something full-size?
Is isolation a plus or minus in this situation?

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Several Q's?

How long would you use them for (at a time)?
Would you mind something full-size?
Is isolation a plus or minus in this situation?

I really don't know how to answer the first question. Fairly long periods wouldn't be unheard of. Sure, full-size is fine. I don't care about looks. As for isolation, I'm most concerned about it leaking out and bothering other people.

Thanks.

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 21
I know you tried the 212-PRO's and found them muddy... but some people here on head-fi have found the Sennheiser 202 to be better than the 212-PRO (in the sense of overactive bass). The 202's bass is somewhat different than the 212-PRO's.

Earbuds-wise...the Sony EX51/71's may or may not be your calling as many have reported poor treble response. The Sharp MD33's (from audiocubes.com) has been said to be a bit better (again, not my exp.).

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 21
I heard the 202s and they sounded way bass-heavy to me. And no on the EX-71s. I had the EX-70s and hated them. But I'd really like an over-the-ear type design for this purpose.

I know I'm asking for a lot, but there has to be something out there. I might just break down and spend more and get something like the Senn HD-280 Pros since they seem so highly regarded, and B&H has them for $85. Or the Beyerdynamic DT 231 seem to be well-liked as well. I just want crispness. One mistake I made when listening to the ones I mentioned earlier was that there were also the Senn 580 and 600.

Sep 20, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 21
hazmat, hunting for closed phone with your requests is not possible for $100, let alone $50. You're going to have to give up something. You can get a semi-neutral sound, or decent detail, but not both until you move up quite a bit, like closer to $200.

The HD280 and V6 are two options, but again not neutral (haven't heard the Beyers, but they don't have that rep either). The 202s are just awful.

Sep 20, 2004 at 9:11 PM Post #13 of 21
Try the PX 200! It may fit your bill -- or not if you don't get the right seal indispensable for good sound. It doesn't quite sound like an open headphone (or the PX 100), but the volume behind the membrane is very small and flat, so it offers a sound somewhat similar to the ER-4, just not as fast and resolved, but still very good for the price and to my ears -- even better than the PX 100 IMO. It doesn't isolate too well from the outside, but decently to the outside. But caution: it doesn't fit to everybody's ears!

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back