Which IEMs are a big step up from AirPods Pro 2?
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Arora

100+ Head-Fier
I had the Variations and they were better but not by a big enough amount to warrant the outlay.

At what point do IEMs start to sound considerably better than APM2?

Is it the $700 range or are we talking U12t money?

Jan 1, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 10
Check the Video "Airpods Pro 2 vs Hardcore Audiophiles" by Headphoneshow, tldr: Apple did massively increase the sound quality so it's harder to get a clear upgrade for not too much more money (if you want the other features besides sound quality it gets impossible).

Jan 2, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 10
I have had APP2 1,5 months now and i'm still blown away with soundquality. I had APP gen1 almost 2 years and gen 2 is a big leap for better soundquality.

Just sidenote:
i've been watching Stranger Things from my iPod with APP2 and that Spatial Audio is just something...WOW!
The soundstage is really big, i mean BIG and VERY three dimensional. And there's really lot of groung shaking lower bass. From time to time it's still hard to believe what i have in my ears when i'm listening those soundeffects.

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 10
Check the Video "Airpods Pro 2 vs Hardcore Audiophiles" by Headphoneshow, tldr: Apple did massively increase the sound quality so it's harder to get a clear upgrade for not too much more money (if you want the other features besides sound quality it gets impossible).
That’s what my own ears suggest as well. I think I’d have to look at the Monarch MKII, Sony IER-Z1R, U12t to get a big upgrade. But even then I’m not sure if it’ll be worth it and I would never buy blind for that much money.

Jan 2, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #5 of 10
The Monarch MKII is probably the #1 suggestions in its price category, same with the U12t. I want to get more into IEM's but am very hesitant to get the IER-Z1R since its fit issues. But yes, i think you would have to get at least to the Monarch Mark II tier if you want a serious upgrade.
Another competitor might be the 7Hz Timeless AE, for me it sounds like a big planar bass and i am shocked everytime i use it how it delivers sound. It also plays in a different realm in terms of technicalities than you would expect from its price. Drawback: sometimes a bit metallic timbre.
You can always try buying used stuff in the classified when you see an opportunity.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 10
The Monarch MKII is probably the #1 suggestions in its price category, same with the U12t. I want to get more into IEM's but am very hesitant to get the IER-Z1R since its fit issues. But yes, i think you would have to get at least to the Monarch Mark II tier if you want a serious upgrade.
Another competitor might be the 7Hz Timeless AE, for me it sounds like a big planar bass and i am shocked everytime i use it how it delivers sound. It also plays in a different realm in terms of technicalities than you would expect from its price. Drawback: sometimes a bit metallic timbre.
You can always try buying used stuff in the classified when you see an opportunity.
I didn’t realise people had fit issues with the Sony, I know they are common with the Monarch MKII though.

Jan 2, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 10
I didn’t realise people had fit issues with the Sony, I know they are common with the Monarch MKII though.
You may check up with Thieausio Prestige, the preorder is going on. New flagship of Thieaudio.
D7AB10FF-B8D9-48C8-8AEA-A202CFC89DF6.jpeg
65661FC6-2C6C-4E45-A3FB-DE3C0BA36D3C.jpeg

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 10
You may check up with Thieausio Prestige, the preorder is going on. New flagship of Thieaudio.
D7AB10FF-B8D9-48C8-8AEA-A202CFC89DF6.jpeg65661FC6-2C6C-4E45-A3FB-DE3C0BA36D3C.jpeg
I didn’t realise they came out with a new IEM. I’ll check the reviews.

Feb 5, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 10
If you want a TWS which sounds better to my ears , try the Beoplay EX . i used the soundmode tool and did gone a little bit between warm / energetic , and it sounds excellent. But the AirPod Pro2 sounds also very good already

Feb 19, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 10
Just an update, I bought the IER-Z1R yesterday and that is a clear upgrade from the APP2 (as it should be for the price). The Variations have great bass but the Sony is better in that regard with a bigger soundstage and more detail.

IMO I wouldn’t go lower than the Variations if you want a worthwhile upgrade to the APP2. If you want to be wowed, maybe it is a case of jumping right to the TOTL earphones. TWS are getting really good nowadays, not a knock on the Moondrop at all.

Next on my list to try are the Monarch MKII and 64 Audio U12t. I think the market is lacking in the $500-900 range.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back