Which headphones to try?
Nov 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #16 of 18
Well, I tried them out on my PC with my Asus Xonar DG sound card, and I tested them in comparison to my Siberia V2s in different instances.  First was music, which I immediately noticed the difference between the two is the bass.  The DT 770 Pro 80 has a deep rumble of a bass, where as I prefer my Siberias punchy bass.  Also I noticed that when the bass is turned up on the DTs, it distorts the audio, where the Siberias do not.  The second test is gaming, on Far Cry 4, I noticed I had better positional awareness on my Siberias, but the DTs are still nice with their soundstage.  I noticed a bit more ambient sounds with the DTs.  The third was on Call of Duty Advanced Warfare, where both are nice, I noticed that I could pin point sounds on my Siberias more distinctly.  Where the DTs are by no means a bad set of headphones, they're great -- I just somehow still prefer my Siberias for music and gaming.

But if I had to recommend a pair of headphones, it'd be the DTs.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #17 of 18
I'd wager if you had a better source and amplification, the DT 770 would come alive more. 

Dec 1, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #18 of 18
if you are missing bass or getting distortion, it might be because your headphones aren't getting enough power. these are 80 ohm headphones, so they need a dedicated amplifier. can't just plug it into your computer & play.

if your primarily concern is positional cues (aka sound stage), I would recommend the akg k550 for a pair of closed non-portable headphones with great sound stage. its bass is also tighter rather than more bloomy/bloated. if wanting a portable closed version, the akg k545 is the portable version with smaller earcups, removable cable, more bass quantity, & slightly smaller sound stage.

otherwise, you can benefit from a pair of open headphones as they generally have much better sound stage than any other closed headphones. akg q701 or the massdrop akg k7xx (if wanting more bass quantity) are two headphones with very well-renowned sound stage.

the reason so many akg recommendations is because the q701 & k550 have amazing sound stage for their respective categories (open vs closed) that easily beats all other competitors in this price range. The only other $200ish pair of headphones that I can think of right now with exceptional sound stage is the open sennheiser hd598, but I believe the akgs have better sound stage (though I have not done a direct head-to-head comparison, so take it with a grain of salt). :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back