Which headphones to try?
Nov 25, 2014 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Seni

New Head-Fier
So.  I am new here and need some recommendations.  At the moment I am using Sennheiser's PC 350 SE headset, and am receiving the sound card "Asus Xonar DG" in the mail tomorrow.  

I want to try some of the headphones that a lot of people recommend.  Since this forum is full of audiophiles, I figured it'd be best to ask around here.

I am looking for a headphone that would be perfect for my taste.  I like loud music, specifically the genres "deathcore" and "metalcore," also occasionally some dubstep/techno where a lot of bass drops are prominent.  I love a good bass kick, a hefty thump.  For example, in my car I have bass boost on, not maxed out though.  I generally keep it 2 out of 5 bars, so the rest of the music doesn't become just a bunch of trash can noise.

I am also looking for headphones that'd be nice with the Dolby 5.1 surround sound that comes on the Asus Xonar DG, for gaming.  I am a gamer, but not an intense gamer like some.  I like some good, accurate surround sound so I can hear what's going on around me in a game -- whether it be RPG, FPS, etc, but mainly I listen to music.  This is why I think a nice pair of headphones and an external mic is the better option. 

I have a price range of $150-200, which I know has a lot of good possibilities.  I am curious to see what everyone here thinks.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 18
If there are ever headphone meets in your area, you should go there and try some.  Also don't confuse Dolby Digital Live or whatever, with Dolby Headphone (the virtual surround solution for headphones).

The Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro might be a good choice for you, but I don't know if the Xonar DG can handle the 250 Ohm version which is the only one in your budget.

Nov 27, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #4 of 18
I wouldn't go with the 990 for your first set of cans. The treble on those is downright painful to some. You could instead try something very bassy yet still laid back overall. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm could fit the bill as it has a good soundstage for a closed can, is easy to mount a ModMic on, and is very comfortable. Other than those I'm not too familiar with basshead cans that also have a good soundstage except the 990 but on those the treble is kind of polarizing.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 18
I wouldn't go with the 990 for your first set of cans. The treble on those is downright painful to some. You could instead try something very bassy yet still laid back overall. The DT770 Pro 80 ohm could fit the bill as it has a good soundstage for a closed can, is easy to mount a ModMic on, and is very comfortable. Other than those I'm not too familiar with basshead cans that also have a good soundstage except the 990 but on those the treble is kind of polarizing.

What about Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones?

Nov 28, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 18
Depends which Shures. The 840 and 1540 I like, the rest of them I dont like at all. The Soundmagics are more spacious than the 840 which would probably come in handy for gaming. 840 have better mids but HP150 have really terrific lows and highs. Creative Aurvana Live and Takstar Pro 80 are cheaper but sound much better than their price, if you'd like to save some money.

Nov 28, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #12 of 18
Depends which Shures. The 840 and 1540 I like, the rest of them I dont like at all. The Soundmagics are more spacious than the 840 which would probably come in handy for gaming. 840 have better mids but HP150 have really terrific lows and highs. Creative Aurvana Live and Takstar Pro 80 are cheaper but sound much better than their price, if you'd like to save some money.

God it's so difficult to choose lol. I'm willing to drop 150 to max 200 on a really nice pair of headphones, but there are so many damn options

Users who are viewing this thread

Back