Which Headphones is good to Nightwish?
Jun 26, 2008 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

michcius

New Head-Fier
I`m looking for good headphones and I have selected some:
Grado SR325i
BD DT990Pro
Sennheiser HD580 or HD600

Which of this headphones will be good to listening Nightwish(Opera with metal)

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 40
The wonderful thing about Nightwish is that it combines so many good things together. This means that no headphone will really be the best with it; different headphones will let different parts of Nightwish music shine. When you've got a Sennheiser, you'll revel in the epic soundstage and the beauty of the strings. When you're listening on Grado, the guitars and drums will really come out at you and really shine. I'm not familiar with the DT990 sound signature, but I'm sure that you'd have an altogether different experience (but a good one) with those. Perhaps the beautiful vocals? I don't know.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 40
Of those, I'd say maybe the Grados or the HD600. With all the symphonic stuff they do, I may give the nod to the Senns. Also, the female vocals really shine with them, but I have the 650's. They are so revealing though, that even though their albums are well recorded, you can readily discern the studio work. For example, on Dark Passion Play, it's easy to notice the overdubbing - the full symphony sounds great, but the vocals and guitars and drums all have that "recorded in a studio" sound. It's not a bad thing, but it's just part of the revealing nature of the Senns.

EDIT: Espire's hit it exactly on the head...that's exactly what the Senns do so well for this type of music, and because they (Nightwish) are so diverse, you'll really have a hard time pinning down a phone that works for all aspects.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 40
i dont use grado/alessandro cans for symphonic metal because of their lack of soundstage.
if i am listening to something like nightwish, i want some good sound soundstage. i found hd580 and hd650 to be very good with nightwish. i also like dt990 for symphonic metal but they lack mids, so i prefer the upper sennheiser products.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 40
I prefer my grado's, the soundstage is wide enough, and they are fast and have good PRaT, what is really needed imo, not laid-back last row kind of sound.

Jun 26, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 40
Grado with flats would be my first choice. Energy and dynamics are what you need. Nightwish music may be symphonic metal, but it is not a simphony if you know what I mean
wink.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #7 of 40
I personally prefer W5000, ATH-AD2000 is also a good choice but is better suited for something that requires more bite and speed like DragonForce. Recabled HD650 is also goodly good but makes it more symphony than metal (exaggeration but you've got the meaning).

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by espire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wonderful thing about Nightwish is that it combines so many good things together. This means that no headphone will really be the best with it; different headphones will let different parts of Nightwish music shine. When you've got a Sennheiser, you'll revel in the epic soundstage and the beauty of the strings. When you're listening on Grado, the guitars and drums will really come out at you and really shine. I'm not familiar with the DT990 sound signature, but I'm sure that you'd have an altogether different experience (but a good one) with those. Perhaps the beautiful vocals? I don't know.

Quoted for truth.
biggrin.gif

I love the upfrontness of my 325is with Nightwish (and female vocals through them from either Tarja or Anette... OMG
eek.gif
), but sometimes a greater soundstage is nice.

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 40
Ahhhhh Nightwish.

Do I loooooove that band.

I had the same problem and only recently found the perfect match for Nightwish. I tried Ultrasone PL750, HFI-2200, Sennheiser HD600, Sony MDR-V900, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, AKG K701, Futuresonics Atrio, V-moda Vibe, Shure SE530 and many more that I probably forgot but none of them were able to play Nightwish the way I want it to.

The only one that does justice to nightwish is the Ultimate Ears Triple.fi
Damn does Nighwtish sound awsome on these things.

It's no can, it's a IEM but it sounds better than any can I've ever heard!!!!

Greetz

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 40
Amaranth

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 40
im enjoying dark passion play on my triple fi and my ultrasone pl650

Users who are viewing this thread

Back