Which headphones for techno music for mixed environments (subway and quite open-space)
Nov 1, 2013 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

genzo

New Head-Fier
Hi there!

I'm currently planning to buy headphones for a mixed use: leaving in Paris I have to take each and every morning the subway to go to work (let's say around 1 hour per day). That's a bit of a noisy environment to deal with.
I want to use them as well at work, in a quiet open-space environment. I don't care about making noise :)

The headphones would be used with my iphone to (mainly) listen to techno, minimal and deep-house: Gui Boratto, Robert Babicz, Maceo Plex, Paul Kalkbrenner, Deadmau5, Marc Romboy, Miguel Migs and many others...
Sometimes I like to listen to some hip-hop and indie rock as well, but that would be a bonus more than a mandatory criteria :)

I don't care about phone functionalities (like a remote)!

As a newbie, the last headphones I bought were a pair of Bose QC15. The isolation is fantastic, however I really want to get a better sound quality. The budget is quite similar: up to 400 euros.

From the great posts I've found on this forum, at that price range, I've come up with this shortlist: Sennheiser Momentum, Denon D600, Ultrasone Pro 2900, B&W P7, Beyer 990, HE-400. I couldn't make my choice as a lot of criteria I have are somehow different from the other threads.

I don't know which tradeoff I'll have to consider between open and closed headphones... My top priority is to have a beautiful sound. However I must be able to use them in the subway as well, so I may need some isolation knowing that the sound level is quite limited. I've read that I can use portable amps for that (or I'm completely wrong about that).

Which one would be the best fit to my criteria? Don't hesitate to add other products I've forgotten! I'm willing to add an amp if needed :)

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 5
For subways, open cans should be OUT of your list...unless u treat external sound as part of the ambience/music :p
So that takes away your pro2900, He400, Dt990..?

Denon D600 can be a little loose on some heads...so u will want to test it out b4 u buy.

======

Have u check out the latest/new headfones from KEF or NAD? 
quite good if u are NOT into classicals.

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for your quick reply!

My subway time is only 1 hour out of 5 or 6 hours of music I can listen to in a day. I'm OK to lose some quality in the subway only if I can still have a decent sound. I'd say that I'm 5/6 of the day in a quiet environment and less than 1/6 in the subway if it can help to figure out the top priorities! Therefore, does it definitely exclude open cans?

I've checked KEF & NAD products and they seem quite correct although I've some doubts about the durability of the NAD.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 5
I would also recommend to try Beyer DT 1350 & Senn HD 25 Aluminium Edition or Senn Amperiors , I use the DT 1350 & HD 25 Aluminium edition to listen to Trance. They were made for EDM.

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #5 of 5
when u are in the quiet environment, are u in the library? or in your own office...do u need to maintain silence?
open cans bleeds too..

i had the NAD in my hands, feels solid. v sleek. v comfyyyy (circum-aural). Sounds huge despite its closed can design.
i would prefer this to the KEF n UE6000.

The clamp of 1350 / hd25 (both supra-aural) can be tighhhhht...i couldnt last more than 1 hour on the 1350.
1350 has good bass, clarity, speed...like a mini T1 on steroids :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back