Which headphones for power metal?
Sep 21, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #31 of 38
I will say this, based on my experiences as a cellist and bass player and in audio I have to say that of the headphones I've heard the RS-1's consistently sounded the most real and lifelike to me.

chrisfromalbany, are you saying that you believe a quick decay is better or worse?

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #32 of 38
So... er... yeah, um... back to the question at hand
biggrin.gif

I think I'll go for some DT880s. But what about an upgrade for the amp?

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:14 PM Post #33 of 38
Lol, reading my audiophile terms suggests that 'decay' is neither good or bad. Surely the amount of decay is a fact and so to be more accurate to the source is whats wanted?

Sorry mojo!
eggosmile.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo
That's really what I'm looking for I think. People always say the bass is excellent on DT880s, fast and deep. You need that when the double bass pedal kicks in
smily_headphones1.gif
They always get favorable comments when it comes to vocals too.

Yes, they do have very good bass, as is their performance all around, very good, nothing spectacular.

Quote:

I'll check some reviews of the SA5000s then. How is the bass on those things? I'm off to Japan next month so might be able to pick some up cheap.

The bass is great, when paired with a good source and amp. It is, like the DT880, balanced with the rest of the sound, so it does not dominate the vocals, guitars, etc, and all layers of the sound can be heard clearly. It hits harder than the DT880 (kick of the drum is more palpable, realistic, sudden), and is cleaner in that individual bass notes smear together less, so each one is more noticeably individually, meaning that you can ascertain exactly what is being played more effectively.

Quote:

Can you recommend anywhere I can buy those in the UK? Google isn't turning up much. I know one end of a soldering iron from the other too, so perhaps I could build something.

What do you think of the X-Cans MK1, or Bada PH-1, or G&W TW-J1?

I am not too familiar with the UK headphone amp market, but you should be able to get the parts for a PIMETA pretty easily. This amp sounds great for the money and can compare with the $$$ amps until you get a really spendy source. The X-can and Bada are both decidely mid-fi, but in all odds better than the OBH11 from what I've read about it.

Sep 22, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I will say this, based on my experiences as a cellist and bass player and in audio I have to say that of the headphones I've heard the RS-1's consistently sounded the most real and lifelike to me.

Not a surprise, given the fact that a performer is right there next to the instruments, and Grados bring you right up there next to the instruments. Definitely not to everyone's taste, though. Personally, I like some distance.

Sep 22, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Yes, they do have very good bass, as is their performance all around, very good, nothing spectacular.

Most of the comments seem to suggest that they are something quite interesting, if subtle. Well balanced, smooth and silky at the top end while having excellent bass extension and slam. They seem to be clean while not being totally clinical in the mids.

Quote:

It hits harder than the DT880

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Bass on the SA5000 is very thin

Hmm...

The review at http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=sa5000 seems to suggest that bass does not have quite the same "force" as the DT880s. Again, like the mids it is perhaps more accurate, but if that's what I wanted I'd probably just shell out the extra for some low-end Stax, or just stick with the ones I have.

The other option is the DT990, or 931. The 931 seems like it could be the better choice from what I read. Less resolution and detail than the DT880s, but more bass. Although, people always say the 931s are better with a 120ohm adaptor, giving even better bass, so perhaps the 880s could benefit from a little extra impedance as well?

I think my problem is I'm not sure how much bass I need. What I mean is, I know I want more than the 495s, but how much more? I don't want too much either. I'll see about having a listen to some Grados if I can.

If I seem obsessed with bass then please excuse the impressive I have given. Mids, particularly vocals and guitars are really important too, as is the top end. I want something with some genuine slam and speed though. With power metal, drumming really sets the pace of things.

There is also Audio Technica. The AD2000s seems to be a bit warmer, a bit more exciting than the clinical SA5000s. Having said that, the Beyers still seem like a better choice.

Quote:

I am not too familiar with the UK headphone amp market, but you should be able to get the parts for a PIMETA pretty easily. This amp sounds great for the money and can compare with the $$$ amps until you get a really spendy source. The X-can and Bada are both decidely mid-fi, but in all odds better than the OBH11 from what I've read about it.

I see. The OBH-11 was a big step up from the headphone jack on my Rotel RA-820BX2 amp. Would a higher end end headphone amp be like the same jump again, I wonder? I'll look into the PIMETA though, as I fancy building something.

Sep 22, 2005 at 10:33 AM Post #37 of 38
The MS-2s are great for power metal. Just the right kind of sound and a snappy snare drum, male vocals sound really good too, although i didnt think they sounded great with female vocals.

DT990 would be another option.

I had a Creek OBH-11SE and while it was satisfactory, and IMO better than a Pimeta, there are better amps out there for the money.

Sep 22, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #38 of 38
Thanks for the response, Enverxis. If only I could audition the MS-2s and the DT880s, it would make choosing a lot either. I have a feeling I'll find some DT880s in Japan and buy them though, simply because they are available and MS-2s are not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
DT990 would be another option.

I had a Creek OBH-11SE and while it was satisfactory, and IMO better than a Pimeta, there are better amps out there for the money.

What is your oppinion of the DT990? As for the amp, perhaps I'd be better off trying to build a PPA instead of the Pimeta. I do have an A Level in Electronics and have built a few things in my time. It doesn't look too hard, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back