Which headphones for power metal?
Sep 21, 2005 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
I've been reading Head-Fi for a while now, but am still trying to decide which headphones I should buy so was looking for a bit of advice please.

My current setup is this:

Philips Ultimate Edge sound card
Creek OBH-11 headphone amp
Sennheiser HD495 headphones
Stax SR-3 earspeakers and SRD-6 amp

My PC is silent (water cooled, inaudiable from >1m). I usually use FLAC lossless audio, although I am considering moving to MusePack as I can't ABX it on my current system.

I listen to a lot of power metal. It's very demanding stuff I think, soaring vocals, powerful drumming with fast, slamming bass and lots of depth, and all very busy.

I am actually quite happy with the HD495s, they keep things sounding exciting and fairly forward, although do have some issues with silibance and the bass could be a little better.

The Stax are, well... 1970s Stax. Clear, excellent separation, an effortless sound. But they are quite lacking the the bass department. They sound wonderful with music of that era, but modern stuff is hard to really enjoy on them. They are certainly not as exciting as the 495s.

I've been considering Beyerdynamic 880s. From what I read, they should work well with my amp, and give good bass while not being too forward like Grados or too laid back like top of the line Sennheisers. They are supposed to be very comfortable as well (I don't like my head getting too hot, the 495s are wonderful in that respect). The other option seems to be the Alessandro, but there isn't much info on those.

I can't seem to find anywhere that I can audition the Beyers (Portsmouth UK), but I can try the Sennheisers and the Grados. I don't think the Senn 590s or 600s will be what I want, but perhaps the Grados might be okay.

Perhaps I could stretch to some lower-end Stax as well, but from what I read they would be similar to the SR-3s - excellent sound but not really what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, I want something with excellent clarity and separation of the instruments and vocals, but for power metal you need the bass and a slightly forward sound I think.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 38
I'm from near Portsmouth and I too love Power Metal!
orphsmile.gif

I got some HD580s, not for their suitability but more because I got them new for £100.
I think they are suited to any type of music, open though, so they give a concert to bystanders.

Sep 21, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 38
I'd take a look at Grado RS-1s. I find them much more forgiving on the highs unlike alot of the lower end Grados. I listen to alot of heavy stuff and they fit the bill perfectly.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:22 PM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColStripe
I'd take a look at Grado RS-1s. I find them much more forgiving on the highs unlike alot of the lower end Grados. I listen to alot of heavy stuff and they fit the bill perfectly.

Seconded! If the RS-1's are out of your price range then maybe jump on the HF-1 boat. Pick yourself up an RA-1 amplifier, maybe add a DAC to your soundcard and you'd have a pretty sweet system.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #5 of 38
Its probably just me, but Grados just look so uncomfortable.

with_grados_small.jpg

Sennheiser_HD580.jpg

It looks as though they've just got hold of a couple of speakers and tried to concoct the quickest and easiest way to strap them together.

Conversely Sennheiser look like they've actually made an effort to make their 'phones comfortable...and it works.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #7 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Its probably just me, but Grados just look so uncomfortable.

It looks as though they've just got hold of a couple of speakers and tried to concoct the quickest and easiest way to strap them together.

Conversely Sennheiser look like they've actually made an effort to make their 'phones comfortable...and it works.

For some Senns may be more comfortable but for others there's nothing like a Grado. For me Senns clamp waaay too much which irritates a problem I've been having with my jaw, but even without that problem the last few Senns I've had really clamped hard making them somewhat uncomfortable whereas my RS-1's are incredibly light and once my ears got used to the material the pads are made of it's like I'm not wearing anything.

Sep 21, 2005 at 1:56 PM Post #8 of 38
Yeh, no doubt the Grado's will do your music justice. If I had the funds, I would buy the RS-1 today, but I must wait till that day comes. I am considering the Beyer 990's as an alt. to my Grado's, but I never heard them, so I can't recommend them.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 38
The whole Grado being uncomfortable thing is really just opinion. I really like the whole minimalist design going on with them, because it comes out so lightweight that it's hardly noticable (to me.) Of course, I've got a hell of a lot of hair, so it could just be because I have extra padding.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:20 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaikoten
The whole Grado being uncomfortable thing is really just opinion. I really like the whole minimalist design going on with them, because it comes out so lightweight that it's hardly noticable (to me.) Of course, I've got a hell of a lot of hair, so it could just be because I have extra padding.

I shave my head and I have the same basic feelings as you about the comfort.

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:36 PM Post #11 of 38
I did say its probably just me!
wink.gif

No Grados for me ever mind you, well if I see some RS1s for $100 I might change my mind!
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
I did say its probably just me!
wink.gif

No Grados for me ever mind you, well if I see some RS1s for $100 I might change my mind!
tongue.gif

Grado HF-1s, Grado 325i, Grado Rs-1's..

If you had the money the RS-1s are the first choice.

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 38
Wow, thanks for the responses guys, I wasn't expected so many posts so quickly!

So, looks like the Grados could well be worth a look. I think the RS-1s are out of my price range, but the 325s might be worth a look. How would they pair with my Creek OBH-11 though? I'd rather not buy a new amp right now.

The other option is the Alessandro M2. £175 on eBay, and similar to the 325s I think.

Seems like not many people have Beyers, I know they can be hard to find in the UK. The 880s are similar in price to the M2s...

Sep 21, 2005 at 4:02 PM Post #15 of 38
The OBH-11 is known to be a pretty bad amplifier, in that it has a high level of distortion.

On the headphone side, Grados can sound good with this kind of music, but they also have their problems, in that their sound is so overly colored that while it enhances some albums, others will sound much worse. The RS1 sounds great with about 30% of what I listened to, but not that great on the rest. Then you add in the sub-par comfort and the tendancy of the headphones to fly off your head during rapid movement, and they are less than ideal IMO.

I really like the DT880, it is balanced sounding, has good speed and extension. It needs a very powerful amplifier though.

The Sony SA1000 and 5000 are my current favorites for metal, they have a detail and resolving power to pull apart the complex music and show you every instrument and note that is unique in the dynamic headphone world IMO. They are not as demanding of an amplifier as the Beyers, but not as easy to drive as the Grados. They are also more comfortable than either, due to their superb ergonomic design and spartan weight. They are more demanding of the source than the amp.

So based on what you want to spend, I'd recommend:

$80: SA1000
$170: Beyer DT770-80 (if you want tons of powerful bass at the expense of accuracy)
$220: DT880
$380: SA5000

I'd also recommend ditching the OBH11 for something as cheap as a mint or go-vibe, PM fewtch about what that upgrade would be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back