which headphones do you think?
Apr 29, 2004 at 4:03 AM Post #16 of 29
Without the intent to use a dedicated amp, I'd opt for a pair of AKG K240S's.

Enjoy, and pocket the change. Otherwise the cans you list require a significant amount of supporting gear to sound satisfying, imo. Not that it's not worth the pursuit, but if you have an intent at the outset (or lack, thereof), even for a while...

Apr 29, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #18 of 29
If your main (and I do mean MAIN) choice of music is classical guitar and you want to almost feel that guitar being plucked, the Stax SR-001 Mk II is a great choice, and maybe the home use version is even better... not sure as I've never owned that. I've not really got the same feel out of anything else as the 001 Mk II at this price level for guitars.

Problems include:
Weather sensitivity (yes really)
Chewing sensitivity
Noticeably rolled off highs, Shure / Beyer DT250-80 style
Ni-Mh Batteries run out in 4 hours if you're lucky

Advantages include:
Fantastic mid texture and detail
Great lows
Un-sweaty in summer (they're earpieces)

Talking points:
The only electrostatic earphones on the market
Several hundred volts in your ear

I'd suggest looking for more reviews on them. I think I wrote one but it might have disappeared into the bowels of Head-Fi. There's one or two reviews of them in the Features Review section.

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 29
No amp, No akg k501!!!
My perreaux($350) is barely keeping up with those cans.
I never hear a900, but I guess it's jack of all trades.
Since you listen to guitar variations, my impression on grado sr125 ($120) was very exciting, fast, fun, accurate, quite detailed, and puchy bass. Also alessandro ms1 is very well recommended here ($99). They are excellent for the money and you don't need amp.

Apr 29, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 29
I used the HD600s with a $50 cheapo amp and a portable, and they sounded better than CD3000s (which are beaten by HD555s on better equipment anyways).

The HD600 is hands down a GREAT headphone to start with, especially if you are planning on upgrading as time goes on. They wont sound to their potential with a cheap setup, but then again neither will any of the other similarly priced cans.

Cheers,
Geek

Apr 30, 2004 at 3:11 AM Post #21 of 29
what cheapo amp? i know nothing about portable amps. i've been reading stuff about the "mint" which comes in a mint case - kind of cute - and some other "hand made" amps.

how do you know if your receiver has a good headphone jack? i have a marantz 2020 combo cd player receiver that i will use the headphones w/.

my current headphones that i'm dissatisfied w/ are the sony MDR-cd580 w/ an impedence of 40ohms at 1khz. that seems to be the same impedence as the audio technica's A900 and A1000... but people are saying the A900 doesn't need an amp while the A1000 does. the sennheisers are 300 ohms, the akg k501 are 120 ohms.

also, i grew up believing that cables didn't really matter - monster cables were overrated and the home depot copper would be fine for home speaker systems. why are headphone cables so critical?

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by young
what cheapo amp? i know nothing about portable amps. i've been reading stuff about the "mint" which comes in a mint case - kind of cute - and some other "hand made" amps.

I would second the recommendation for a HD580 and a budget amp. given that you are content with your current source, I don't think the HD600 would be a worthwhile buy (some suggest that the sonic improvement of the HD600 over the HD580 is slight - this might be so if your source is not up to snuff).

I love listening to the classical guitar and acoustic guitars. IMO, the Sennheisers do a great job with these instruments. The HD580 could be purchased for around $150. That should give you around $80 for an amp. If you are not partial to buying used items and are patient, you might be able to nap yourself a nice Pimeta or some $100-200 - when new - amp for that price.

As for cables, I think a stock HD580 and a sturdy radioshack cable is fine for your purposes.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

The AKG 501 is vastly underrated. The Sennheisers get all the press but I sold a pair of 600s to replace them with 501s, and I've never looked back. The Senn's have big bass but at the expense of air and upper mids and a shut in soundstage. Plus I could never hear much tonality in the upper bass where a lot of jazz, pop and rock music really moves. Deep bass sure, and if you like classical music or opera they may be the way to go. But with most music the AKG wins with it's liquid mids, speed and air for me.

A HUGE DITTO from me!

I LOVE my AKGs....I find myself using them more than I use my Senn HD600s. And yes, they need an amp, but when you can get them shipped to your door for $135 US (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW) you can use the spare cash to get misterX to build you a nice pimeta!

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 29
I voted "other" because I believe the HD650's are the best pair of headphones that I've heard in this general price range (under $400).

Of the headphones you've listed, I own the HD600's and CD3000's but have not heard the others (although I've read good things about both of them). I sure wish other people would qualify their opinions by telling us which of the 4 they have heard (some people did tell us about their comparisons, but most did not)... anyway, just a pet peeve of mine... I just don't want to give you the impression that I've heard them all when in fact I have not.

May 1, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #25 of 29
well, the final decision...

i was set to get the sennheiser 600's based on the poll; but the lack of an amp and cord upgrade makes that an unwise decision.

so, i thought the Audio Technica A900 b/c it would be nice w/out an amp (and they look very nice).

but, in the end, i bought the AKG K501 b/c of the ridiculous price for such a nice set. i plan to try it out w/out an amp first; but if needed i will consider getting a headphone amp. (the total price w/ the amp will be in my budget)

i thank everyone for their help and comments. i'll see you guys in the amp forum.
wink.gif

May 1, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #26 of 29
Good choice. Glad you found a bargain.

The AKG 501 is the most underrated top tier headphone on the market IMHO. You will need to experiment with the amplifier source, but don't be afraid of conventional wisdom found on this forum or be in a rush to buy an expensive headphone amplifier.

That said, a source with good current and voltage should do you just fine, and you might find it anywhere from the local second hand store to ebay.

When you do find the right source, the 501 will "lock in" with a bottom end that's about as tuneful as anything you'll hear, and you will be rewarded with new musical information and lots of relaxed, non-fatiguing listening.

May 1, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by young
i listen to a wide variety of music but i'm not a bass person. i definitely prefer clarity and accuracy of the sound. i listen to classical guitar music quite a bit.

Sennheiser HD 600 with Oehlbach-cable from Meier Audio -- $265 incl. shipping, IIRC. Best deal for your taste.

May 1, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #28 of 29
Within your budget, without a dedicated amp, I would go with the AT A900. The Senns might be powered adequately with the Marantz, but that's a risk. The Sonys, IMHO, are superior to all the rest listed, but at closer to $400 are also the most expensive.

May 2, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #29 of 29
I believe he already made his purchase.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back