Which headphones as a gift under $60?
Nov 16, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 34
I have given several people, including my brother, a pair of Beyer DT-231s as gifts. I really think these semi-closed, extremely comfortable, affordable, and versatile (classical and rock both sound good with them) cans are a great introduction to quality sound.

Plus they are well-constructed and don't look too goofy!

--Chris

Nov 16, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #17 of 34
Yeah, I don't really find the K81DJ's very comfortable + a little boomy on the bass. Look at the Beyerdynamic DT231

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #18 of 34
I would say it should DEFINITELY be the Grado SR-60, I think that headphone is the one that has gotten so many audiophiles into being audiophiles. It has an immediate awe factor that lasts until you upgrade.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #19 of 34
x2 ... from a not so audiophile user , i purchased the sr60 ... i was floored by it ... If someone gifted me this , i would be
600smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoardC3
I would say it should DEFINITELY be the Grado SR-60, I think that headphone is the one that has gotten so many audiophiles into being audiophiles. It has an immediate awe factor that lasts until you upgrade.

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:01 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thai Fighter
Don't think so. They're good as long as you don't crank up the volume too much and as long as you listen to electronica only.
They're awful with jazz, classical or folk...

True enough, and a lucky thing then that the op didn't ask for headphones that would handle those genres, but hip hop, country (weird combo there), soft rock, and some modern rock, which they would handle fine. I was recommending the HP460 mainly up against the wave of K81 recommendations (and a bunch of spurious recommendations for open headphones), but yes, the bass is boomy, no question.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan
take the extra ~$10 plunge for the HD280. You (or whomever) will love em'!

Where did you find the HD280s for $70? The cheapest I'm able to find them for is $90 without shipping. I'm looking at $40 over, and like I mentioned, it's just a side gift. Don't really intend on going all out.

So a lot of people are saying Grado SR60, but then a few state the Sennheiser are better.
She does not wear glasses, so does that mean the K81PRO are not comfortable than?
Must sound good and MUST be comfortable.

So:
Grado SR60
Beyerdynamic DT 231
Sennheiser HD497
Should I make a poll?
eggosmile.gif

Thanks for all the suggestions. Great forum here!

Nov 16, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso
Must sound good and MUST be comfortable.

So:
Grado SR60
Beyerdynamic DT 231
Sennheiser HD497
Should I make a poll?
eggosmile.gif

Sorry, I have yet another plug for the DT-231:

The SR 60s definitely have detail and sound quality that FAR exceeds the DT 231 (I don't know about the HD 497). That said, I have to plug for the DT 231 again: they are, in my opinion, more comfortable for long-term use, and I have found my image-conscious friends find them more suitable aesthetically. Plus, they are a little more versatile -- the SR-60s can be a little much for non-rock/jazz fans, while the DT-231 can be a little boomy for acoustic/classical fans.

Oh, and you said originally you prefer closed. The SR-60s are not closed and leak a lot. The DT-231 are technically closed, but still leak quite a bit (as compared to, for example, the Senn HD 280 Pro).

--Chris

Nov 16, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

The gift is for a person who is not all into audio gear, but appreciates good sound quality. Mainly use their existing headphones to listening to mp3's through their regular Dell computer. Prefers closed/sealed. Music preference included hip-hop, country, balads, soft rock, and some modern rock. Prefers big headphones to sit down and enjoy their music for long periods of time. Must be comfortable.

My ideas were:
- Sennheiser HD212PRO
- Sennheiser HD457
- Sennheiser HD497

Comments, suggestions, ideas?

The HD485 comfortably beats all of them (ok, I haven't had the HD212, but that is). And they say (I haven't heard them all myself) that it beats most <$100 'phones if not all. Though I don't know if you can find it for $60.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 34
The Grado's make my ears hurt after an hour. They are clear and detailed but don't exactly have a fit that you can wear for hours (at least for me)

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:46 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Where did you find the HD280s for $70? The cheapest I'm able to find them for is $90 without shipping.

amazon.com has them for 73.15 shipped

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp
Sorry, I have yet another plug for the DT-231:

The SR-60s are not closed and leak a lot. The DT-231 are technically closed, but still leak quite a bit (as compared to, for example, the Senn HD 280 Pro).

--Chris

Ahhh, I didn't know the SR60 were open-air headphones. So that cancels them out. I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'yet another plug for the DT-231'. Does that mean you vote for or against them?

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:14 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'yet another plug for the DT-231'. Does that mean you vote for or against them?

For. As I said earlier, this is my standard pick when I've given brothers and friends the gift of inexpensive, unamped, good sound
smily_headphones1.gif

--Chris

Nov 18, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado's make my ears hurt after an hour. They are clear and detailed but don't exactly have a fit that you can wear for hours (at least for me)

You should try an ancient pair of grados. You know the ones with the yellow pads
rs1smile.gif
. My dad lets me use his sr125's that have those pads 9hes too good for anything but electro-statics). I wear them for hours and hours
icon10.gif

Back on-topic. Even though grados are open, i don't hear much or any sound leakage. Also i would recommend koss portapros. Anyone in my family that even slightly cares about sound quality uses them or has used them and loved them every second.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back