Which headphones are best?
Sep 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

oSpectrum

New Head-Fier
I want to buy a pair of good over-ear headphones.  I don't want to pay much more than $220 or so.  I'll be walking around a LITTLE bit (not too much), so they only need to be a little portable.  I mainly just want EXRTREMELY good audio quality.  I mess around with FL Studio every now and again, but not too much.  Anyone suggest a good pair of headphones?  Where can I find the cheapest, real, headphone?

Sep 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2 of 7
Dear EXRTREMELY,

$220 will buy you a good pair of IEMs - see Joker's mega-thread for details. Over-ear cans are generally going to cost you more for the same level of detail, and there is the possibility that you may need an amp - my tip is to stick with low-impedance, high sensitivity headphones and most IEMs fit neatly into that basket.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 7
Im not expert when it comes to Iems. But the Shure SRH440's have a nice detail level. 

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Dear EXRTREMELY,

$220 will buy you a good pair of IEMs - see Joker's mega-thread for details. Over-ear cans are generally going to cost you more for the same level of detail, and there is the possibility that you may need an amp - my tip is to stick with low-impedance, high sensitivity headphones and most IEMs fit neatly into that basket.

I'm really not interested in IEMs...  I saw the Audio Technica ATH-M50S's.  Those look pretty good, but is there anything better in my price range? (Remember, over-ear headphones).

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 7
It depends on what kind of sound you want judging by your fl studio use you probably listen to a lot of electronic or hip hop. For super deep explosive bass go for XB1000 or XB700 with amp, cmoy will do. ATH m50 will provide great bass without sacrificing mid and high as much. The AKG K240S will give nice detailed mids and highs but not put out as much bass and amp is recommended as they are quiet without. I've also heard good things about HD598.Those are the main I've heard in your range but if you push higher like 300 you can get very detailed cans like shure 940 or hd650 for even less used.
Getting a direct answer from us is very impossible so just look around a lot and you will find a set that you will fall in love with look at different reviews and find as sound signature you want. Good luck.
Also no Beats or Bose.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
I want to buy a pair of good over-ear headphones.  I don't want to pay much more than $220 or so.  I'll be walking around a LITTLE bit (not too much), so they only need to be a little portable.  I mainly just want EXRTREMELY good audio quality.  I mess around with FL Studio every now and again, but not too much.  Anyone suggest a good pair of headphones?  Where can I find the cheapest, real, headphone?

Heya,

Used Denon D2000.

Very best,

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 7
I havent heard all of the cans suggested above, but I guess it comes down to your definition of 'EXTREMELY good audio quality'. Everything discussed here is entry-level, and thats absolutely fine with me, but many of us know how quickly upgraditis hits. If I had a crystal ball 3 years ago, I would have bought the RS1 and been done with it, instead of buying and selling various headphones.

Sorry for your wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back