Which headphone upgrade to choose?
Feb 1, 2010 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KBerube80

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am newly registered here at Head-Fi but have been reading a bit prior to signing up. I am an AVID music fan of all types of music with a strong background in Metal and Prog Rock. However, a couple years ago I discovered a new love for Jazz and everything about it.

Anyhow, I already have had a pair of Grado SR80's and Sennheiser HD280 pro's for a few years now and am looking to move up in the world of "cans." I tend to prefer the Senn's due to the comfort and warmer sound unless I am listening from my iPod, then I use the Grados since they seem to be easier to push.

My research has led me to two 'phones: the HD650's or the AKG K701's. I will primarily be using them for acoustic jazz. Without the aid of being able to listen to each, head-to-head, I am looking for some opinions specific to my situation.

My sources are an Outlaw RR2150 Receiver and a Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player. Would it be in my best interest to grab a headphone amp as well? If so, I'm all ears to suggestions for good matched amps as well with a celing of around $200.

If I am beating a dead horse, I apologize in advance.

Cheers,
Ken
L3000.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #2 of 17
Why go for expensive or high hifi? If your ears still receive sound that makes you enjoy your jazz upgrading isn't necessary. Of course if you want better sound I completely agree and have some suggestions:
Sennheiser HD4x8-series, I recently bought the HD428;
Shure 440 or 840;
Creative Aurvana Live, for jazzy, groovy and funky music they work very well;
Ultrasone, I read about their special sound after serious burn in and it might be something for you.

That's all I know for now, good luck with your search...

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 17
Read the glossary and make sure we're using the same terms -- I always found the Sennheiser sound to be much colder, not warmer, than Grado's. Due to the "coldness," the bass roll-off and the the closed staging, I found the HD-280 to be like being locked in a basement, which actually is quite complementary to many kinds of music. I'm a little shocked you found them comfortable -- after ten years of break-in, my pair is still too tight and sweaty for extended use.

A friend who is way into metal but also branches off into world and folk swears by the Beyerdynamic DT-880s. They come in two flavors -- a low ohm that's a bit harsher in the mids and a high ohm that would work best with an amplifier or headphone-out of your favorite receiver.

BTW: two albums I've been diggin' very much into along the rock/jazz border these days are Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" and Billy Bang's "Vietnam: The Aftermath."

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KBerube80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for great detail, soundstage, and accurate (not bloated/artificial) bass response. And definitely NOT anything fatiguing and bright.

That being the case, I would not recommend K701, based on my experience:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KBerube80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My research has led me to two 'phones: the HD650's or the AKG K701's. I will primarily be using them for acoustic jazz.

Also, for what it's worth, I completely love HD600 with jazz. However, my experience with HD650 is very limited.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #8 of 17
you might like the DT880's

try to get the 600ohm's *they are supposedly* better than 250 ohm. Look for something like an Audio GD c2c or something like a Little Dot MKIV as your primary amp.

Feb 2, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #9 of 17
I have experience with both K702 and HD650 running off good amp.

For Jazz, I definitely recommend K702 over the HD650. It is a lot of fun listening to metal on the HD650, but for Jazz, K702's natural sounds is better for Jazz to my ears.

Although, I think AT sound signature is the best for Jazz (from what I've tried). Oh and Stax are also really good with Jazz
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 17
Thanks a lot for the replies guys. I have been doing nonstop research for the past week. My mind has changed to being a tossup between the HD600 and the Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm.

Decisions, decisions! I wish I would be able to audition these bad larry's somewhere.

Also, Little Dot amps have definitely caught my attention as well. Are the DT880's very finnicky with choosing the right gear like the AKG's seem to have?

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dasmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the glossary and make sure we're using the same terms -- I always found the Sennheiser sound to be much colder, not warmer, than Grado's. Due to the "coldness," the bass roll-off and the the closed staging, I found the HD-280 to be like being locked in a basement, which actually is quite complementary to many kinds of music. I'm a little shocked you found them comfortable -- after ten years of break-in, my pair is still too tight and sweaty for extended use.

A friend who is way into metal but also branches off into world and folk swears by the Beyerdynamic DT-880s. They come in two flavors -- a low ohm that's a bit harsher in the mids and a high ohm that would work best with an amplifier or headphone-out of your favorite receiver.

BTW: two albums I've been diggin' very much into along the rock/jazz border these days are Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" and Billy Bang's "Vietnam: The Aftermath."

Hot Rats is an absolute classic! Also, Billy Bang is a phenomenal jazz violinist. He absolutely shines on William Parker's Scrapbook album.

Feb 5, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #15 of 17
Also, it is fine to hookup the headphone amp to the receiver? I'm assuming through the tape loop but how will the CDP come through if my receiver is on the tape function?

Or should I split the rca's from my CDP?

Damn, i feel like such a newbie. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back