Which headphone surprised you the most.
Sep 24, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #76 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by DC5Zilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What made you assume that they were not burned in and straight out of box?
confused_face(1).gif
I auditioned them at a quiet room at local store by myself and the headphone was connected to a lehmann blackcube amp with a nice cd transport. The sales clerk told me that they were burned in for more than 300 at minimum.

Hey, I stand corrected - I auditioned an amp tonight and was told that, while it was the store demo, it simply didnt get a lot of hours because most of his customers had speaker rigs. C'est La Vie, and I was impressed with the amp considering its limited (ab)use and the fact that he powered it up from cold.

The important thing is that you took the time and effort to give yourself the best possible impression you could get of the headphones - many dont.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #77 of 107
DT-48 surprised me twice. First in how much I hated in, then in how much I loved it! I enjoy getting a different sonic perspective on my favourite songs. And if you are listening to vocals it's fantastic. I dunno, maybe it's just a placebo effect from hearing people talk up the dt48 on head-fi .... but placebos can be enjoyable too!

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #78 of 107
The thing to remember about the placebo effect is that it inevitably wears off....

Placebo, inverse expectations, whatever - I think someone must have stuck the 'K501' label on another pair of headphones, because these are in no way the 'bass shy', 'classical and female vocals only' cans I had been lead to believe. Maybe AKG release a 'K501i' at the end of the production run ?
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #79 of 107
Both the Akg K701 and the Ety er6i. Both sound great out of a headamp but strangely enough le AKG sounds better from the output of a Nokia N97 than the etys.

Considering that the Akg is a fullsize headphone and these etys are made to be used on portable equipment, it's indeed strange.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #80 of 107
Seriously though ... you would have to pry the dt48 from my cold dead hands! This may be beer talking, but it's the best headphone I've ever heard. I sold my HD-650 and sextett but kept the dt48.And I use it to listen to rock too .... not just acoustic stuff. I like coloured headphones a lot (owned and loved a SR-225i) but those are easy to find. It's much harder to find neutral headphones. I would probably feel the same way about a K240DF, but I haven't heard one. There is one for sale for just 80 bucks .... ***** if I had any money left I would snap that up in a heartbeat ....

Sep 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #81 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT-48 surprised me twice. First in how much I hated in, then in how much I loved it! I enjoy getting a different sonic perspective on my favourite songs. And if you are listening to vocals it's fantastic. I dunno, maybe it's just a placebo effect from hearing people talk up the dt48 on head-fi .... but placebos can be enjoyable too!

I doubt it's a placebo, since I rave how great they are and the majority think they suck, or so it seems.

Feb 7, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #84 of 107
DT990/600 really surprised me.

my expectations were pretty low, but they really surprised me! They're like the bad-ass version of the DT880's that i always wanted
beyersmile.png

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #85 of 107
In my search for replacements for my portable set I came across the Sennheiser HD428. I have a hard time taking them off for the HD428 does everything perfectly for my ears.

At the moment the HD428 is still on my head and well, I don't mind missing out on the others. Only if I want more bass or just another sound the V6-es reappear.

Feb 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #86 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senn PX100, great sound from an inexpensive very portable package.

QFT

PX100, Koss Portapros, Koss KSC75

epic winz.

Feb 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #87 of 107
My most recent purchases include the Grado SR-60i and Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones surpassed my expectations because the Grados deliver a warm, full-bodied, lush yet surprisingly well balanced sound and the Audio Technicas are the very best top of the line reference grade headphones that I have had the pleasure of listening to thus far.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #89 of 107
1. The K-701 was awesome, though amp dependent. I loved the crystal-clear highs.
2. The HF-2 felt like the perfect midspot between the RS1 and the 325. I love that thumping bass and that mellow HF.
3. My used pair of SR-80s I just modded. The bass is now popping, the highs are smoothed out and they are now very comfortable. They're giving my HF-2 a run for its money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back