Which headphone surprised you the most.
Feb 8, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #107 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...truly surprised (in the disappointing way) with the sa5000

Quote:

Originally Posted by bergman2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SA5000's ... and now I love/hate them

Can either of you be more specific? I'm about to get some and I want some final opinions...

To answer the OP's question, I would have to say that both the HD800 and the HFI-780 surprised me with great disappointment. Initially the HD800 sounded great, but then later at the meet I was at I listened to Ray Samuels' R10 and realized how poor by comparison they really were. To my ears, not even Stax or the K1000 comes marginally close to how spectacular the R10 was.

The Ultrasones were also very surprising in that regard. I used them for a couple of months, and one day I was A/B testing them to my A700 (a can that most people don't highly regard) and thought that everything sounded fake and plasticky on the 780. Strangely, there's a very large price difference, too. The 780 I paid $200 for, but the A700 I only paid $100. Goes to show price difference doesn't always matter.

EDIT: Before I get flamed for not liking the HD800, I would like to admit that the R10 is obviously on a much higher level, and probably not a good choice for comparison. Nonetheless, it seems like the HD800 will end up being legendary anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back