1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Which headphone surprised you the most.

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by palpatine, Sep 20, 2009.
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next

Last
  1. Palpatine
    Many of us do the research, ask questions, look for the best deals, and then buy a set of phones.
    Most of us expect good sq and build quality of the phones we purchase after doing such an exhaustive search.
    But even still, what phones have you experienced that even surpassed your expectations and made you extremely pleased with your purchase?

I own a few good sets of phones, but really I would have to say it was my HD 25 I II. They are an unassuming looking set of cans that simply sound terrific and I was blown away.
    Thanks to the headfiers who said so many cool things about these phones and made me take the chance on them.

2. kool bubba ice
    The DT48.. I wasn't expecting much from a headphone built in 1937.

3. Ra97oR
    SRH840. Sounded really good out of a portable.

4. jawang
    k701. I bought them expecting crappy and weak bass due to the reviews here, but their bass ended up being awesome.

5. ourfpshero
    sennheiser hd545. had a few decent headphones b4 this. got it in a trade, had no knowledge or expectations. turned out fantastic and ruined me for most sennheisers since (turns out the 545 uses same drivers as 565/580/600, i still have a 565)

6. estreeter
    1. The bass on the SR325is. Anyone who tries to tell you that Grados dont do bass impact needs a hearing test, IMO.

2. AKG K24* - surprising from my Sony DAP (audition only). Looking forward to owning the 242HD very soon.

7. rds
    The Ultrasone Pro 900. From comments here I was expecting something weird and "bloated" in the sound. I thought I should try them anyways and I'm really impressed with their sound. They have strong bass (for headphones), but the sound is also very well balanced, extremely detailed and musical. To me the bass is similar to what you get with big floor standing speakers, which is really nice for headphones.

8. Uncle Erik Contributor
    The AKG K-701. After falling hard for the K-501 and K-1000, I had high expectations.

The plasticky vocals were shocking and unlistenable. I kept them for well over a year and tried several amps, but I never could take their sound for more than 15 or 20 minutes.

Strangely, the K-601 sounds much, much more realistic and natural than the K-701.

9. jessel
    Totally agree with the HD25-1 II. This small and ugly pair of headphones sounds incredibly well!!

10. voltraizer
    Koss KSC75. very inexpensive yet great performer!!

11. darkswordsman17
    A900s and W5000s. I had no interest in the A900s, but the person I was buying HD595s from was offering them only as a package deal (at a great price), so I bit the bullet thinking I'd just sell them off. Ended up loving them and sold off my Sennheisers. I did not expect the W5000 to be that much better than the A900Ti that replaced them with.

12. ktsai1283
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jawang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    k701. I bought them expecting crappy and weak bass due to the reviews here, but their bass ended up being awesome.

x2. I was expecting the worst, but my 702 sounds great straight out of my laptop!

13. TheMarchingMule Contributor
    KSC75! It was my true step into hi-fi sound, instead of the K701 and UE super.fi 5 Pro before it.

14. Acix
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    x2. I was expecting the worst, but my 702 sounds great straight out of my laptop!

X3 the K702 sounds amazing! and the HD-650 was my biggest disappointed.

15. fatcat28037 Contributor
    Senn PX100, great sound from an inexpensive very portable package.

2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Next

Last