Which headphone began your headphone journey?
Jul 2, 2005 at 3:46 AM Post #46 of 84
HD 595. I was stuck within multimedia speakers at that time. The HD 595 convince me to part with my much beloved sub-woofer
580smile.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:02 PM Post #47 of 84
picked up a sennheiser HD280 about 2 years ago after some fellow DJs recommended it at asisphonics.net and was very much satisfied for listening to my vinyl, cd players, and the computer. i found head-fi months ago after searching for headphone reviews during my research on some portable phones (needed something easier to carry around than the 280's since it was all i had besides the mx300's and other cheap headphones that came with portable cd players). now looking to upgrade the 280's...perhaps an HD595 or DT880

Jul 9, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #48 of 84
The Koss Pro 4-AA, back in the late 70's, driven from the headphone jack of a stereo system component cassette tape player. I didn't have a stereo system to plug the tape player into. I just listened to it through the Koss Pro 4-AA. That system provided me with the memorable music listening experiences that drew me back into a headphone system in 2003 - starting with a pair of SR60's and a $40 PCDP. I've made a few small improvements to my headphone rig since then.

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #49 of 84
Sony V600s, I loved them at the time (I was only 12) and when they broke when I was around 14 - that started my journey to finding headphones just like them without spending $150 - my journey went like this: V100s, V150s, UR40s, V300s, G74SLs, CD380s, EX71s, PX100s, XD100s, XD200s, 7505s, and out of the bunch only the CD380s, XD200s and the PX100s remain. Oh yeah, and I dont' really care about V600s anymore since they suck anyways.
tongue.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #50 of 84
Hi, Long time reader first time poster.

During highschool 5 years ago, a friend showed me a pair of white sonys he had. I later found out they were the ex71's and a few years later I bought a pair. Then when I bought an iPod I was looking around on a few sites and then I bought a pair of Etymotic ER-4P's. I then found this site, and I cry myself to sleep thinking about how much I paid for those headphones. Never again!

Jul 10, 2005 at 2:48 AM Post #51 of 84
I'll be the third Koss Pro 4AA virgin here. I distinctly remember listening to a Fisher 8-track player reciever mounted on a shelf above my bed as a teeenager. One night, while listening to Pnk Floyds "Money", I was jammin' with the tunes and kicked the shelf above me and knocked my whole stereo down on me.

In my later headphone geek incarnation, I bought the beyerdynamic DT 801 sealed headphone with a Yellow Sony Sports Walkman cassette player. It was then that I decided I needed a headphone amp and started to bouild a couple. That was in about 1982.

When I started HeadRoom the Sennheiser HD560 was the poop. Then 580....600...650 were may favorite cans.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #54 of 84
Sony streetstyles.

Then..
MDR-V700's, because they were the most expensive headphones offered at a local retailer here. Never visited Head-Fi. This was 3 years ago.

After visiting Head-Fi... SA5000. Two months ago.

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #55 of 84
my old e888s... spent months searching for them before I eventually ended up finding them (overpriced) and bought them. I loved them to bits but I was listening mostly in noisy environments so quickly changed to the MDR NC-11s, which are based on the ex71s. I still have them, they don't sound as good as the 888s but if you ever wanted isolation, these are the plugs to get.

I have some MS-1s which I suppose are my first real hi-fi geared headphones, I love them but am beginning to think about upgrading.

ps. I do have some hd-414s but the pads are wrecked and I use them mostly as test phones for new amps. Never really liked them or the sound coming from them

Jul 10, 2005 at 3:09 AM Post #56 of 84
Some cheap Sony heedphones that came with my discman. My first decent headphones are the PX100.

Jul 10, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #57 of 84
My Plantronics gaming headset broke so I went online and researched what I should get next and somehow ended up on Head-Fi.

I read for a day or two and decided on some Sennheiser HD280. I went to Frys the next day and all they had that was decent was Sony MDR-V6 for $79.

I really was set on getting something that day so I just picked up the V6's and brought them home. I quickly tried them out of my stereo reciever hooked up to my computer and played some music. It was an awakening experience I guess.

I went from those to Sennheiser HD-580's that I paired with a Pioneer CDP and a MisterX built PIMETA. I got out of headphones for a while after that and sold off the PIMETA and just traded the Senns for a pair of Grado SR-125 that I'm actually enjoying right now. Wow another one of those awakening experiences as I'm having so much more fun with the Grados than I did with the Senns.

Sony MDR-V6 -> Sennheiser HD-580 -> Grado-SR125 -> ????

Who knows what's next?
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #58 of 84
SR80... recommendation from a friend. I now have SR125s (among a couple other headphones), and I can't imagine going back to my pre-Grado days
rs1smile.gif

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #59 of 84
My dad used to sell all this high-end A/V equipment and everything. We had some nakamichi cans with the marantz reciever (that I still have). my dog ate through the wires when he was a puppy, though...so there went those. Honestly and unfortunately, I don't remember the sound. I wish the friggin dog wouldn't have been such a jerk.
rolleyes.gif

I got some hd457s a few years ago at circuit city. naturally, i've always had an interest in audio, music, and technical stuff. (nerdhearted.) Anyway, those cans did it for me. Kids at school would be shocked by my "huge headphones", and i'd always get the dumb remarks. I think the fact that they're silver also makes them stand out quite a bit. anyway, it is, of course, they who are missing out.

Just recently I got Hd650's as a birthday present, and I think the path ahead will be very full of more equipment (and hopefully not bankruptcy. hahaha.)

Jul 10, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #60 of 84
The first really nice headphone i heard was my dad's HD 424. I then got a pair of beyer dt231 for one christmas... fast forward to a few months ago, and head-fi.... whoops.

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back