Which HD600 upgrade cable?
Oct 13, 2004 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

tone

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to upgrade my hd600's cable from the stock one to either the equinox, silver dragon or the cardas cable but i'm having trouble deciding on which one.
eek.gif

I would like the cable to make the soundstage bigger and to open up the treble a bit. I can try the equinox or cardas via headroom since they have a great return policy but i don't think that moon audio has a return policy so its a bit of a risk if i went with those. what do you guys think?

btw my system is sony scd-sc222es->outlaw interconnect->singlepower mpx3 (w/ rca vt231,2 sylvania 6sn7gta tubes)->hd600

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 20
I like the equinox the best with the HD600. But judging from your post about what you want from your cable you might like the Silver Dragon the best.

Oct 13, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 20
In my system and to my ears the Oehlbach creates the best synergy: bigger soundstage and more open and brilliant treble than the stock cable as well as increased smoothness and transparency. The more expensive Silver Dragon has an emphasis on detail and precision and creates a quite neutral sonic balance, but doesn't have the Oehlbach's smoothness and forgivingness and puts you closer to the orchestra. I don't know the Cardas and the Equinox, but with my HD 650 I use the Zu Mobius, which isn't an ideal match for the HD 600 IMO.

peacesign.gif

Oct 13, 2004 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 20
Thanks guys,

Of the 3 (Ollenbach, equinox, and silver dragon) which one gives the biggest soundstage? i did like the cardas for the brief time that i had it so it looks like the silver dragon would be more to my liking unless it thins out the bass too much.

i plan on getting silver interconnects soon. would having too much silver cause any problems with the bass of the system?

Oct 14, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #5 of 20
I've got headphile Silver interconnects and a Silver Dragon on my HD650, and I've got no problems with bass whatsover. The detail is fantastic. Tuberoller really liked the SD on the HD600s in his huge roundup awhile back.

Soundstage is probably about the same as stock cable, but can at times seem bigger because of the better detail. There is a bit of smoothness that has been sacrificed for crispness. I'm not really sure which I prefer, I think it depends on the music and instruments.

Listening to acoustical guitar, banjo, and not-heavily-distorted electric guitar are heaven on the SD.

Oct 15, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
Do most HD600 upgrade cables work with HD650's too?

Yes, all do, though as previously mentioned any particular cable's synergy will be different between the 600 and 650. The best upgrade from stock 600s is to sell them and buy a 650. This is a huge difference; bigger than any cable will make. Then, when money permits, you can go for a cable that matches well to both the 650 and your personal tastes.

Oct 15, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by tone
I can try the equinox or cardas via headroom since they have a great return policy but i don't think that moon audio has a return policy so its a bit of a risk if i went with those. what do you guys think?

Unless something changed very recently, Moon Audio does have a return policy. I believe it is 30 days. Drew of Moon Audio is a great guy to work with. Very helpful.

I use the Silver Dragon with my HD-650's and previously was using it with the HD-600's. I preferred it to the Cardas, but it was a close call. I think the ergonomics of the Cardas are better, as the Silver Dragon is a bit stiff, but I preferred by a slight margin the sound of the Silver Dragon. IMO, however, these things are very system-dependant, so I would use the return policies and compare the cables you think will work with your equipment the best.

Oct 15, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS
Unless something changed very recently, Moon Audio does have a return policy. I believe it is 30 days. Drew of Moon Audio is a great guy to work with. Very helpful.

I've been leaning towards the silver dragon so hopefully they do have a return policy. i couldn't find any return information on the moon audio website.

I've always have had great luck with headroom so i like going thru them if i can. Headroom has never given me any grief when i've returned something to them.

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 20
i could be completely wrong, but doesnt cardas use canare starquads (LTE4G or something, the exact naming eludes me)?
imo all these aftermarket cables are grossly overpriced even with what great improvement they may offer. i would try to contact some DIYers. mine was done by a local guy for $25, sounds superb to me. then again, i havnt heard any of these great name brands, so take my words with grain of salt.

Oct 16, 2004 at 5:46 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikoLayer
imo all these aftermarket cables are grossly overpriced even with what great improvement they may offer.

I was originally thinking about just building my own using some silver cable from homegrown audio but unfortunatley you can't buy just the hd600 plugs anywhere and i don't want to scavage the plugs off of my stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back