Which Grado would you get?
Nov 8, 2018 at 10:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Cruelhand Luke

Headphoneus Supremus
Short version:
I have a chance to get a deal on some Grados. Within the Prestige line, which one should I get to compliment my Modhouse Argons? The Argon has a warm/dark sound with epic bass and the most immense soundstage you can get from a closed headphone. I want an open, more detailed, brighter headphone to compliment it.
Is the SR325e worth the higher price, or is there a model a little further down the ladder I would be just as happy with?

Longer version of the story, if it interests you:
I recently got a set of Modhouse Argons made for me and I could not be happier with them. They were the missing piece in my headphone 'collection'. For every use case scenario I have a headphone I really like, some I love. I literally had no new headphones on my radar for the first time in a long time.
Then, as the old saying goes, up jumped the devil.
It turns out a customer of mine happens to own a company that sells audiophile products. I can get a great deal on some Grados, so the question is, if I decide to get one, which is the right Grado in the Prestige series for me?
I mentioned my Argons because they do so many things great, they are a closed, warm, dark, beautiful cave of a headphone, but I also love an open headphone that has detail and brightness....
Which of the Prestige series is the best representation of the Grado sound?
Or should the question be, which of that line would complement the Argon best?
or....maybe I am asking, is the higher price of the SR325e worth it over the less expensive headphones? If I add a Grado, it has to be better than the open headphones I already have (Modded SHP9500s) I want it to be on the same level as the Argon.

Nov 9, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #2 of 13
Is the SR325e worth the higher price, or is there a model a little further down the ladder I would be just as happy with?

I'd personally just spend more on the RS2e or even a used RS2i than an SR325x.

Or save a bit and get the SR125e or SR225i or SR225e. Maybe get either all wood driver enclosures later.

Nov 9, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 13
Sr225e

Nov 9, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd personally just spend more on the RS2e or even a used RS2i than an SR325x.

Or save a bit and get the SR125e or SR225i or SR225e. Maybe get either all wood driver enclosures later.
I was also thinking about the RS 2e. I'm not sure, even with a discount, if I am willing to spend that much. I think they look fantastic, especially with the tan leather headband. I did happen to talk to my guy again today and mentioned that I was looking at both the 325 and the RS 2e and he didn't hesitate to recommend the RS 2e. His comment was something along the lines of it's the best value of the Grado lineup, combining the best of the Reference line with the best of the Prestige line.
I bought a set of SR60i for $35 that will arrive...sometime. I plan to mod them a little and see how I like the Grado sound, and then decide what I want to get. I suspect for the type of music I like, and the sound signature I prefer for certain genres, I will like the Grado house sound. It's just a matter of if I like it enough to spend anywhere near $500 or would I be happier sticking to the sub $200 range.

Nov 9, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #5 of 13
I really like my RS1’s.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 13
As far as I know, all the Grado models are pretty much the same with a small improvement from one tier to the next such as more conductors in the cable, more tightly matched drivers, even more tightly matched drivers, a spitshine from John Grado, etc. I don't think there's much sonic improvement to be had with these improvements, so odds are the low tiers are pretty good.

Nov 10, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 13
Nov 10, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 13
As far as I know, all the Grado models are pretty much the same with a small improvement from one tier to the next such as more conductors in the cable, more tightly matched drivers, even more tightly matched drivers, a spitshine from John Grado, etc. I don't think there's much sonic improvement to be had with these improvements, so odds are the low tiers are pretty good.
I too have read the same hearsay, innuendo and third hand speculation. I am sure it is much like an automobile manufacturer, given enough models to choose from, produced over enough years it falls into a similar pattern:
on a continuum from Grado "model A", the junky starter one, allll the way up to Grado "Model Xcalibur" step by step things can sometimes be only subtly different...but within the range of an entire line, some stand out as particularly good values and some are not worth the extra coin. I've been doing more reading and it seems like there is a lot of similarity in the SR line...but when you step up to the RS line, the RS 2e is supposed to be a real standout....from what I have read....

Nov 10, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 13
I was also thinking about the RS 2e. I'm not sure, even with a discount, if I am willing to spend that much. I think they look fantastic, especially with the tan leather headband. I did happen to talk to my guy again today and mentioned that I was looking at both the 325 and the RS 2e and he didn't hesitate to recommend the RS 2e. His comment was something along the lines of it's the best value of the Grado lineup, combining the best of the Reference line with the best of the Prestige line.
I bought a set of SR60i for $35 that will arrive...sometime. I plan to mod them a little and see how I like the Grado sound, and then decide what I want to get. I suspect for the type of music I like, and the sound signature I prefer for certain genres, I will like the Grado house sound. It's just a matter of if I like it enough to spend anywhere near $500 or would I be happier sticking to the sub $200 range.

I've tried all the grado line (sr60e, sr80e, sr125e, sr225e, sr325e, rs2e, ps500e, gs1000i). Of these, the ones that stood out to me SQ-wise the most were the sr80e, sr325e, rs2e, and the gs1000i, and I would say: sr80e << sr325e < rs2e == gs1000i, with the last two being a sound-signature preference. The sr60e, sr125e, and sr225e to me sounded pretty thin because of the lack of low-end, and the ps500e, while good, didn't leave too much of an impact on me.

The sr325e is great, but is known to have a little hotter treble, which I heard as well. The rs2e has a smoother top-end, with impressive bass (in general, not just for a grado), and one of the smoothest, most beautiful midrange I've heard... The gs1000i is different in that it's a V-signature, but smokes all the others in terms of soundstage.

If you're interested, I actually have a rs2e for sale on the forums with a bunch of pads for $349, and a gs1000i for $579 (shameless plug). I'm selling because I'm trying to get a verite, as I've found the ZMF sound gels more with my personal tastes :) (but also being quite a bit more expensive...)

P.S. if you'd like a second opinion, check out @ruthieandjohn's excellent grado comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #11 of 13
I would say it is all about your budget.

I own a SR60i, SR225i

Had 325is, RS1i, RS1 semi vintage

All are great!

Nov 10, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 13
I've tried all the grado line (sr60e, sr80e, sr125e, sr225e, sr325e, rs2e, ps500e, gs1000i). Of these, the ones that stood out to me SQ-wise the most were the sr80e, sr325e, rs2e, and the gs1000i, and I would say: sr80e << sr325e < rs2e == gs1000i, with the last two being a sound-signature preference. The sr60e, sr125e, and sr225e to me sounded pretty thin because of the lack of low-end, and the ps500e, while good, didn't leave too much of an impact on me.

The sr325e is great, but is known to have a little hotter treble, which I heard as well. The rs2e has a smoother top-end, with impressive bass (in general, not just for a grado), and one of the smoothest, most beautiful midrange I've heard... The gs1000i is different in that it's a V-signature, but smokes all the others in terms of soundstage.

If you're interested, I actually have a rs2e for sale on the forums with a bunch of pads for $349, and a gs1000i for $579 (shameless plug). I'm selling because I'm trying to get a verite, as I've found the ZMF sound gels more with my personal tastes :) (but also being quite a bit more expensive...)

P.S. if you'd like a second opinion, check out @ruthieandjohn's excellent grado comparison.
I have actually read a lot of those posts, it's the reason I started thinking about the RS 2e in the first place.

Would you have the chance to get Alessandros instead of Grados? I mean if they can be included in that offer. In that case I would take Alessandro MS2

Just Grados.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back