Which feature do you most want to see from Rockbox in our X series players?
Mar 15, 2015 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
So today I was chatting with the developers about Rockbox and how many of you here think it's the best thing since sliced bread. So they asked me, what do people like so much about Rockbox? And... it's your turn to answer that question :xf_eek: I have a few ideas myself, but I'd rather open a thread for you guys to chip in with your thoughts.

We might even fit it in our firmware one day? :tongue_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 41
I don't think it's the best thing since sliced bread. I removed it from my iPod 5.5 and Sansa Fuze, I'm fine with stock firmware.
But I will probably use it if I ever decide to hold onto a FiiO dap. FiiO's firmware can't do simple task effectively, like scanning and organizing my music, or reading and displaying song title correctly. I've never had those problem with rockbox or with the stock iPod firmware, even the stock Sansa Fuze firmware didn't have that issue. This is why I kept my iPod and walkman and give away every FiiO dap I've owned.

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 41
Hey Joe...

I used Rockbox in an iRiver player I used to have and I liked it better than the stock firmware... I think the thing I liked most about it was the support for ReplayGain tags... its really nice to listen to music that is all at the same volume level...

Thanks Joe... love my X3

Mar 16, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #4 of 41
As for me, I'd like to see the following in FiiO X:

ReplayGain support, including single and multi-file albums;
Embedded Cue Sheet support for single file albums;
Lyrics support (tags and separate text files).

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #5 of 41
Hi Joe!
I really never have used Rockbox :p, but one of the thins I most used in my old iPod was the 'played song log', so I could connect with my last.fm account and get suggestions, stats ...etc.
I don't know if other people will find this useful, but at leas for me is one the things I miss from my iPod.
Oh yes, ReplayGain support is also a nice feature hehe. 

Mar 18, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #7 of 41
Replaygain support and last.fm support are really the two killer features for me.
Rockbox was slow and cumbersome on my old 5.5 video ipod the only reason I kept using it was Flac support, replay gain and last.fm log.
Imo they really tried to pump too many features (at least onto the old ipods).

When I use my X5 I actually have to keep a mental list of what albums I listen to so I can manually scrobble them later (I'm fairly particular about keeping track haha.. ). It's rather annoying.

The best thing since sliced bread for music is foobar2000, I know it's not mobile or even easily comparable but I think FiiO should aim for similar goals. Keep a slim base and maybe make future FiiO's extensible? Could be easier with android implementations? I just think rockbox is great but they tried to throw everything and the kitchen sink in and it was too much on the couple players I tried.

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #8 of 41
Replaygain and advanced eq.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #11 of 41
1. A larger font in Top bar, While Playing Screen and Menu
2. Digital battery indicator
3. Separate controls for Bass and Treble in Sound options menu
4. Jumping through folders in locked state - Extended functionality for Volume keys
    (short pressing - change volume, long pressing (2 sec) - jump to next/prev song, and ADDITIONAL super long pressing (5 sec) - jump to the first song in next/prev FOLDER)

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 41
Hello my friends! To begin to do that already have worked without problems. I mean, for example, problems with deleting files. Problems with gapless playback. (in X1 FW)

Mar 19, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #13 of 41
  I'd like my X5 to correctly use "Disc" tag when playing double albums.

Is this not possible on the X5?  It works as it should on my X1 with the way that my files are tagged.  All of my CDs are ripped (or downloads are batch converted) with the Disc # tag proceeding the Track #, so if it's a multi-disc rip it looks something like this...

1 - 01 Artist / Track Name
1 - 02 Artist / Track Name
1 - 10 Artist / Track Name

2 - 01 Artist / Track Name
2 - 02 Artist / Track Name
2 - 10 Artist / Track Name

That way, it plays all of the Disc 1 tracks first before moving on to Disc 2.  Not sure if that's how you have your files setup, or not, but it works flawlessly for me on the X1.  Another way around it would be to just change the numbering scheme on multi-disc albums so that they're a continuous album since, in the digital world, it doesn't really matter if there's a Disc 1 or Disc 2, ya know?

Therefore, the numbering scheme above becomes...

1 - 01 Artist / Track Name
1 - 02 Artist / Track Name
1 - 10 Artist / Track Name

1 - 11 Artist / Track Name
1 - 12 Artist / Track Name
1 - 20 Artist / Track Name

Mar 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #14 of 41
Replaygain support and last.fm support...

The best thing since sliced bread for music is foobar2000, I know it's not mobile or even easily comparable but I think FiiO should aim for similar goals. Keep a slim base and maybe make future FiiO's extensible? Could be easier with android implementations? I just think rockbox is great but they tried to throw everything and the kitchen sink in and it was too much on the couple players I tried.

Good points. I use foobar2000 myself and it's great.

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 41
Code:
 [b]Better handling of headphone connection status[/b] It would be useful to * stop playback when headphones are disconnected (already OK) * start playback when headphones are reconnected (enhancement) * don't start the playback when powering on if headphones are disconnected (enhancement)
That is Bugzilla – Bug 73... https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=73

Code:
 [b]Add custom translations [/b] It would be great to make the X3 reading language files from SD/internal memory instead of ROM. This would allow community to provide more UI translations and not skilled user to use them without unpacking/repacking the firmware.
That is Bugzilla – Bug 73... https://app.devzing.com/FiiO/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=72

And also, full customizability of UI (element placement and size etc.),  Timestretch (speed correction), Rewind on Pause, Fade on Stop/Pause

Users who are viewing this thread

Back