Which Etymotic triple flanges to buy?
Feb 5, 2019 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

drosehill

New Head-Fier
I have the Etymotic MK5s. They're pretty much single-handedly responsible for allowing me to get any work done in my current open office environment.

After a couple of near misses with the flanges getting disconnected while in my ear, I've vowed to take replacing them every so often more seriously.

I currently alternate between using the standard frost-tinted triple flange tips, which I have on my pair at home, and the larger clear triple flange tips which I have on the pair that I use in the office. They both feel about equally comfortable.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? Are the larger/clear ones for people with larger ears? Any other consideration I should take into account besides comfort while using them?

Standard tinted triple flanges:
https://www.etymotic.com/er38-15sm.html

Larger clear triple flanges:
https://www.etymotic.com/er38-18cl.html

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks. Bought some Complys but haven't used them in a while. I feel ridiculous asking this, but how does one know whether one has large or regular ears? I want to stock up on them but am not sure which is the right size/model!

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I think I worked out to medium, but I bought the 3-size set from Comply, first. That way, you know for sure. I always buy the version that has the screens, too, so you don't clog the IEM filter.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #5 of 6
I have the Etymotic MK5s. They're pretty much single-handedly responsible for allowing me to get any work done in my current open office environment.

After a couple of near misses with the flanges getting disconnected while in my ear, I've vowed to take replacing them every so often more seriously.

I currently alternate between using the standard frost-tinted triple flange tips, which I have on my pair at home, and the larger clear triple flange tips which I have on the pair that I use in the office. They both feel about equally comfortable.

Is it just a matter of personal preference? Are the larger/clear ones for people with larger ears? Any other consideration I should take into account besides comfort while using them?

Standard tinted triple flanges:
https://www.etymotic.com/er38-15sm.html

Larger clear triple flanges:
https://www.etymotic.com/er38-18cl.html
if you've used both sizes for a while, you must be able to tell if one more easily breaks the seal, or maybe you keep the seal but only one of the flanges does so the total isolation isn't as good as it could. in my case, after a long time, the flanges start to change shape(I wish I had kept some old tips to show a picture of what I mean). if the large ones are too large, some of the flanges will tend to fold at one place, sort of like an umbrella would(worst explanation ever!!!!!^_^), so that the total circumference of the tip is reduced to fit your ear canal. many people have that happening to at least one flange. if wearing the big flanges for months doesn't result in such a folding and doesn't create pain, then I'd say you're obviously good with large.
for my ears, the small ones don't seal, I have to push them super deep and the seal is only created by the tip itself being pushed on the smallest part of my ear canal. but just moving my jaw a little can break that seal. so it's not good for me. and the large are a bit too large for comfort, so I end up with normal size foam tips from comply or shure. or even the default ety grey foam but it's a tiny bit too large to let me as deep as I would with the triflange. all in all I'd expect you to still have one size of triflange to fit you better, be it seal, general comfort or insertion depth. those IEMs are made to go fairly deep in the ear canal.

Feb 7, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 6
if you've used both sizes for a while, you must be able to tell if one more easily breaks the seal, or maybe you keep the seal but only one of the flanges does so the total isolation isn't as good as it could. in my case, after a long time, the flanges start to change shape(I wish I had kept some old tips to show a picture of what I mean). if the large ones are too large, some of the flanges will tend to fold at one place, sort of like an umbrella would(worst explanation ever!!!!!^_^), so that the total circumference of the tip is reduced to fit your ear canal. many people have that happening to at least one flange. if wearing the big flanges for months doesn't result in such a folding and doesn't create pain, then I'd say you're obviously good with large.
for my ears, the small ones don't seal, I have to push them super deep and the seal is only created by the tip itself being pushed on the smallest part of my ear canal. but just moving my jaw a little can break that seal. so it's not good for me. and the large are a bit too large for comfort, so I end up with normal size foam tips from comply or shure. or even the default ety grey foam but it's a tiny bit too large to let me as deep as I would with the triflange. all in all I'd expect you to still have one size of triflange to fit you better, be it seal, general comfort or insertion depth. those IEMs are made to go fairly deep in the ear canal.

Thanks. No, I know exactly what you're talking about with the umbrella-like folding. Actually, that's the perfect way to describe it! Yeah, come to think of it, I might be doing something similar to keep the small ones in. I guess I'll just have to pay closer attention the next time I'm wearing each and see which is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back