Which entry IEM would YOU choose?
Mar 23, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #31 of 44
I don't find the microphonics to be that bad on my IM716s...

If I hold the cords away from anything and don't move at all..

yep, awful microphonics, especially when i'm walking. Bleh, but that aside, they do sounds great out of the my Karma when I want to block out the engine noise on the bus, good isolation.

Still hate the white though.

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #32 of 44
I had fit problems with the Super.fi 3. The post was just too big around and went in too far. Something to consider if you have small or medium sized ears. I use Shure medium tips on my UM1 so my ears aren't tiny.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #33 of 44
Some news: I have found that www.earphonesolutions.com will ship to New Zealand for $20, and even after adding this postage cost, their prices are cheaper than local prices. Here are their prices on the various models (not including shipping):

Westone UM1 : $110
Etymotic ER6i : $90
UE super.fi 3 : $70
Shure E2c : $100

(this is the list price on the E2c but they say they will do some sort of special price. I am waiting for them to send an email with this price)

At these [revised] prices, which model represents the best value for money interms of SQ?

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #34 of 44
I still think you should buy off the FS forums, but I don't believe we ever established which you should buy based on sound preferences, have we? I think that should come as first priority.

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #35 of 44
Yea, I had a look at the FS forums, but I definitely don't want to buy used. Not that I think I will get faulty gear or anything, but it just feels good to buy new stuff...and half the fun is in opening that sealed packaging for the first time isn't it? In most threads where people post pics of their new gear, it always starts off with a pic of the box that the courier man delivered, followed buy a pic of the unopened package etc.

Basically, I want to make a good, safe buy (I know that you can never be safe buying IEM's, but as safe as possible is good).

I now need to know that for those prices mentioned in post #33, which IEM is the best value for money? Which has the most bang for the buck?

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:38 AM Post #36 of 44
That's the problem, there's no definite answer. It's all subjective depending on your tastes. What kind of sound coloration do you like? What are your priorities (such as size, comfort, durability, and types of sound again)?

Mar 24, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #37 of 44
Out of those four I've tried all except SuperFi. I like Westones the best for soundquality, comfort (by far), and microphonics. I strongly recommend if you aren't a bass head as it doesn't have the greatest extension. As stated before, warm sound without amp.

Mar 24, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think you should buy off the FS forums, but I don't believe we ever established which you should buy based on sound preferences, have we? I think that should come as first priority.

Personally, I think comfort is the first priority. If you can't wear them, they're worthless. I bought the Super.fi 3 with the intention of going to the Super.fi 5 if they worked for me. My ears hurt so much after my 1 hour commute that I couldn't wait to get them out. Even though seem to be the best value in they're higher end, I'll never buy them because I want to be able to listen to my IEMs for 6 hours straight on a plane.

Mar 24, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by nfsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E2cs are not worth 110$, that's for sure.
Go for Super.fi 3

Seconded, but... I do feel like my new super.fi 3s may have durability issues. The metal thing inside the right phone that creates the earloop seems to cut right into the isolation on the cord... I wonder if it'll cut through it someday...

May 14, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #41 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, would really like a few key questions answered:

1) From the poll, the UM1 seems to be more popular than the ER6i. Please recommend the cheapest and safest/most reliable website to buy UM1's which ships to New Zealand. (UM1 is not listed at all ona Amazon??)

2) Is the iM616 exactly the same as the iM716, except for the volume control? Or is there sonic differences between the two?

3) Does the iM616/716 seriously have the same driver/armature as the ER-4?? Does this mean that SQ from the AltecLansings will be on par with the ER-4 at less than half the price??

4) What are the differences between the iM616/716 and the ER6i? Howcome more people seem to own the ER6i than the iM716/616?

1) You can buy from earphonesolutions.com. You are paying more for shipping because it's international but atleast they ship it. You are not allowed to buy shures from them internationally fyi.

2)Not sure but I think they do sound different last I read.

3)Im716 do sound good and are harder to drive than the er-6i but the official response was that they are not the same, some people say it's a coverup though. Either way I recommend them over the ER-6i and recommend them over the UM1 as long as you have a decent source.

4) The differences between er-6i and Im716 is significant imo. The im716 has better highs, mids, bass, resolution, etc. pretty much better in everything. Er-6i is a lot more well known, the im716 I feel like aren't that popular and dont always get the recognition they deserve.

BTW i voted for the westone um1 out of those, it has the best overall sound and comfort imo.

May 14, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #43 of 44
hi bigburger seems like most places in n.z. are selling shure e2c's at around $200 NZD thats about $150 USD
eek.gif
big difference when i used to live in the u.s. and bought one for only $69 USD... personally i didnt think they were that great either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back