Which entry IEM would YOU choose?
Mar 21, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 44
I would personally choose the ER-6i from Etymotic. I had a pair of 6i's before upgrading to the ER4p and I liked them alot. Some people say that the SF3 from UE is a tad lean on bass(same thing with the Ety's aswell), I personally have never heard them though. Shure also just came out with the SE210's, you might want to consider those aswell. Also... From what Ive read, the E2c can't compete with the UE's or the Ety's as far as sound quality goes.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #17 of 44
my entry IEM was the E500
icon10.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #18 of 44
I voted for the UM1. While I'm not sure about the Super.fi 3's, I've owned the 5pro's and the microphonics on them were bad. They were also very large, making it inconvenient. I did enjoy the sound more than the UM1's, though. I've also owned the iM716's. The microphonics on those are the worst, along with the comfort. The shirt clip didn't help much at all. I believe that the #1 priority for IEM's is convenience, with sound coming in a close second. Lucky for me, I like the Westone sound, so I won't have a dilemma over whether or not I pick comfort or sound preference.

I'd recommend UM1's or iM716's, depending on your sound preferences and how important comfort and convenience is to you.

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 44
Ok, would really like a few key questions answered:

1) From the poll, the UM1 seems to be more popular than the ER6i. Please recommend the cheapest and safest/most reliable website to buy UM1's which ships to New Zealand. (UM1 is not listed at all ona Amazon??)

2) Is the iM616 exactly the same as the iM716, except for the volume control? Or is there sonic differences between the two?

3) Does the iM616/716 seriously have the same driver/armature as the ER-4?? Does this mean that SQ from the AltecLansings will be on par with the ER-4 at less than half the price??

4) What are the differences between the iM616/716 and the ER6i? Howcome more people seem to own the ER6i than the iM716/616?

Mar 22, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #20 of 44
1. Buy it from a user on the FS forum. Pay a little extra to get it insured.

2. I believe those were the initial assumptions, eventually proven wrong. I may be wrong though, as that was a few months ago. Yes, the iM716's are a better value.
Not sure about the second question, as I have no experience with the ER4.

3. I don't believe it was ever fully confirmed, although when people asked ER, they didn't deny it, I THINK. Again, it was a few months ago, so I'm not sure if I'm correct.
Yes.

4. I believe the iM716 beats the ER6i in every way, except I doubt it beats it in microphonics.
Not sure, really. I know the ER6i was cheaper, longer.

Sorry I couldn't give you definite answers.

Mar 22, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #23 of 44
While I don't have experience with ER6i's, the iM716's have the worst microphonics I've ever heard in an IEM/canalphone. This includes all five or so that I've owned. None really came close in comparison. I dunno why it's so bad. Perhaps it's that they just stick sideways out of your ear, and the pod is pretty heavy to be hanging out of it. Even when I use the clip, microphonics are still very heavy. Anyway, I've heard the alligator clip (comes with ER6i, I believe) works great to stop microphonics. Not sure why, but just from the looks of ER6i's, I have a feeling the microphonics are better.

Mar 22, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #24 of 44
ER-6i microphonics were nowhere near as bad as ER-4P, so I will assume they're also much better than iM716.

That said, I loved my ER-6i phones. My experience with Shures wasn't good; I wouldn't receommend going that route. It really depends on what you're looking for. If you like clarity, go Ety. If you like a warm sound, go Westone. If you like 'fun', then you might consider the UE.

Mar 22, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like a warm sound, go Westone. If you like 'fun', then you might consider the UE.

errr.... are you sure? The UM2 are one of the most fun iems around compared to, let's say, the clinical UE10s.

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #26 of 44
Well I'm in New Zealand and apparently Amazon does not ship these IEM's outside USA. Can someone with experience with Amazon confirm this, or is it possible to ship them internationally? Or recommnd a site that sells these IEM's and will ship overseas.
Locally, these are the prices (in US dollars) that the various models would cost me:

Shure E2c : $110
Ety ER6i : $175
UE super.fi 3 : $130
Westone UM 1 : $175

At these prices, which model of the 4 listed would represent the best value (in terms of SQ) for money? ie. Which represents the most bang for the buck?

Mar 23, 2007 at 7:46 AM Post #27 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigburger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm in New Zealand and apparently Amazon does not ship these IEM's outside USA. Can someone with experience with Amazon confirm this, or is it possible to ship them internationally? Or recommnd a site that sells these IEM's and will ship overseas.
Locally, these are the prices (in US dollars) that the various models would cost me:

Shure E2c : $110
Ety ER6i : $175
UE super.fi 3 : $130
Westone UM 1 : $175

At these prices, which model of the 4 listed would represent the best value (in terms of SQ) for money? ie. Which represents the most bang for the buck?

OUCH!!! Those are some bad prices!
eek.gif
There really isnt a $65 dollar difference between the E2c and the ER6 or the UM1. I would go E2c at that price, even if you don't want to mod with kramer mod.

Mar 23, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #30 of 44
I'd recommend looking on the FS forums here. You'll get it for under the US retail value, although used. Just pay a few bucks to have the shipping insured and there should be no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back