Which entry IEM would YOU choose?
Mar 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Bigburger

100+ Head-Fier
Vote for the best in terms of SQ and isolation (SQ is more important). Also please offer your opinion (good or bad) and compare or contrast any or all of the models.

Feel free to recommend other models but this prcie range is pretty much the limit of what I am willing to spend. The ER6i seems to be cheaper than the E2c on Amazon. The UM1 does not seem to be available on Amazon - what's up with that??

I am buying from Amazon becuase I am in New Zealand and the prices locally are about twice as much as in the USA, so Amazon is a safe and reliable place to purchase from.

It has to be an IEM/canalphone, best possible SQ for the money, isolation as well, as I haven't used phones that isolate before. And keep in mind that I won't be modding anything - I'm not exactly very handy and so the idea of messing around with a $100 earphones doesnot appeal.

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #3 of 44
Doesn't the Altec Lansing use Etymotic drivers anyway? Are they perhaps the same drivers as the ER6i?

Another thing to all you ER6i owners: have you ever had to change the filters? If so, then how often and is it an expensive exercise?

Mar 21, 2007 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 44
I voted for ER-6i because I am an Ety fanboy. But honestly you can also consider UM1 if you prefer midrange emphasis. Ety can bee anemic sounding if you are not familar with them - but once bitten by the Ety Bug, it's no looking back
etysmile.gif

I am compelled to advise you to skip entry level IEM altogether. Save your money now and with patience you can aim for Shure E4C or ETYMOTIC ER-4P - you could not go wrong with any of those two.

BTW, I believe Amazon only ships within US.

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #6 of 44
pishposh kramer modding is very easy and usually very easily reversable.

depending on your music tastes i would either go with IM716 (yes same etymotic drivers... as ER-4S/P not ER-6i) or marshmallows
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 44
E2 have still dynamic driver, so if you like E2s sound, you still don't know whether you like IEMs (all IEMs except E2 have balanced armature) sound or not. To many people which don't like balanced armature sound even EP630s sound better than E500. Main differences is soundstage (universal IEMs don't have wide soundstage, or headstage, whatever) and bass (in dynamic driver bass is just like you can hear it from speakers, in IEMs is better controlled and doesn't reduce mids, some people don't like it: I've read many opinions which say that E4 or E500 haven't got much bass; IEMs bass is perfect IMO)
My vote goes to UM1s: they are reletively cheap and sound good.

Mar 21, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #10 of 44
The UM1 is probably not an option as it is not available on Amazon for some reason.

The iM616 has exactly the same earpieces as the iM716, but minus the in-line volume control right? I would probably pick the iM616 - don't want the hassle of volume controls, unless that mode switch is something really special.

Does the iM616/716 seriously have the same driver as the ER-4?? Does this mean that SQ from the AltecLansings will be on par with the ER-4 at less than half the price??

Finally, what are the differences between the iM616/716 and the ER6i? Is the Altec Lansing easily better than the ER6i? (More people here seem to own and talk about the ER6i as compared to the iM716)

I'd appreciate if you guys could specifically answer each question in this post...really want to get these things straight as I wasn't even considering Altec Lansing until now.

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 44
What BigBurger said. And how do they compare as per microphonics and all that stuff thats supposed to be so bad with the ER4s. And how low profile/sticking out of your ear are they? I had a pair of UM2s stolen recently and have been lurking here feverishly ever since trying to decide whether to replace them with anything from the westone 3 to the CX-300. Losing my mind.
hh

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #12 of 44
i own few IEM and latest one is E2C, it was the MDR888 upgrade. after 2 year my sony MDR high range sound begin getting cracking nose (dont know why). i like the E2C but there only one problem, the bass is very unclear comapre to MDR888. the E2C bass sound likea very bad subwoofer, while it heavy but some what unclear.. it goes to few other IEM i own before E2C.

is all IEM bass that bad??

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 44
Westone UM1 for me.
I have never heard it, but considering how I like the UM2 its an easy choice for me...
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 44
after listening to so much IEM in the market, i'll say at that price range, SF3s is the best sound IEM you can find. the sound stage, imaging and sq is unrival by other IEM in it price range. um1 sound to raw for me... the mid is too forward, lack bass and treble extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back