which electrostat has the fullest sound
Apr 2, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #16 of 29
Looking for a full sound aka bass included..and you’re looking at estats?
Hmmm sounds a bit like searching for a warm Beyer.
JK...

Right, look at planars.

Can’t believe I forgot to mention the LCD-2C. This headphone is about as clean sounding as they come AND furthermore comes with the (in)famous 1 k peak like most Stax do. Not sure why Stax tune their headphones like this, or Audeze for that matter, but it would seem that many rather dig this colouration.
First thing I thought when I bought my LCD-2C was that it sounded like a warm estat. Still sounds that way to me.
Anyways just before you start throwing crazy dough at electrostatic voodoo...may wanna check out a planar at half the cost beforehand:)

I've come to love the LCD-4, respect the LCD-3, but the LCD-2C? To me it's very un-estat like starting with the frequency uneveness. Big emphasis on bass, very reticent upper mids, and almost inaudible high treble. It's tuning is deep and rich, and that's not like any estat I know.
The E2, Arya, SE6SE, HEKse off the top of my head - all seem more estat like to my ears.

Then the new technologies - ribbons and AMT's. first cuts may or may not interest you, but believe me new versions will start to come in short order and they might, and no need for a mega buck tube amp to drive them.

Apr 2, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #17 of 29
My own head phone are in bottom line.
I can not comment on other cans.
Same as kse1500 AND full(er)?
Kaldas RR1 is as that full, or fuller, is full size, but is NOT as detail or tigh of bass.(*)
(If I have to give a score, that is 8.5~9 v.s 10)
Full, good bass, mid, no grainy no hash treble, smoothy, most of all your keyword are matched with RR1.
I usually have rr1 on my ears for 3-9hour a day w/o any tired.
(Dap ran out of juice and shutdown is the time I put down the headphone).

* is that relate to my tube amp? I have no idea. I think ss amp may improves a bit in tighten the bass.
Kse1500 can produces ground breaking bass, it just lack of some rumble feeling.
Estat full size cans can approach may be few or none.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 29
From what I read (never heard it myself)
Estats are usually Bass light.
For a full sound you're probably better off taking high end planars like LCD-4, HEK-SE or Susvara.

Personally that was THE reason which always kept me from trying eStats. It was just stated in most Reviews that they can't compete in the Bass area with planars.

Apr 2, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #19 of 29
For a full sound you're probably better off taking high end planars like LCD-4, HEK-SE or Susvara.

Personally that was THE reason which always kept me from trying eStats. It was just stated in most Reviews that they can't compete in the Bass area with planars.
Then, next time you can try RR1.
Dance, EDM... welcome!
Who ever think e.stat can covers that kind :D

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #20 of 29

Having owned those I would say the Abyss TC is the best, not just for bandwidth and dynamics / bass, but also for speed and e-stat like details / micro detail. Unbeatable IMO.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #21 of 29
So I wonder what all the people will say about this review down below?

This headphone looks like a disaster? Better go to the reviewer and state your points.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #22 of 29
My experiences with estats (written by me in another forum).

Perun Live Sound
The latest and the final headphone model from Perun Voice is the pinnacle of headphone sound reproduction to me at the moment. It is very balanced, clear, airy and has a huge soundstage. Everything has its location in the 3D space and the imaging is sharp. Overall presentation is very smooth and extends to both low and high ends. But most of all, it has very clean and natural midrange and deep bass texture with real weight. I’ll say this is the hidden gem of all TOTL headphones.
It kind of sits on my head and is one of the most comfortable headphones I have experienced. There’s very little clamp on my head but it still sits tight. It is hard to drive as are the Stax 007mk1 and Phenomenon Canorum.

Perun Classic
This is the “open grill” predecessor of the Live Sound version and has many of its properties. However, it has more narrow soundstage in width but extends height. The bass and treble is good, but the star of the show is the intimate smooth mids. Good for medium volume listen to vocals, acoustic and classical. Easy to drive, like Stax 009 and L700.

Phenomenon Canorum
If you think electrostatics don’t have deep punchy bass with slam then you need to hear this. Otherwise pretty closed soundstage but natural and organic sound. Tight clamp on my head, but surprisingly comfortable with thick pads. To me, they are more closed than open headphones based on sound leakage.

Stax SR-007mk1 (with modded 009 pads)
007mk1 is my favorite of any Stax phones. It is balanced, has bass - although a bit sloppy - with reasonable treble extension.
Hardest Stax to drive, but with power, scales well as do the Peruns.

Stax SR-009
Technically very advanced headphones, very balanced and detailed. However, to me not as natural sounding as the previous ones.

Stax SR-L700
Baby 009 as they say. To me sound signature is somewhere between the 007 and 009. It is not as detailed as the previous ones, but still close. It has a bit of wall-of-sound type of presentation when compared to 009. Similar as Sony CD3000 compared to Utopia. Considering its price, it has high value. As easy to drive as the 009.

TL;DR;
For weighty bass and full body with organic, still detailed sound, try the latest Russian estats.
Disclaimer: I have not heard RR1 nor Abyss TC.

Apr 2, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #23 of 29
Right, look at planars.

I've come to love the LCD-4, respect the LCD-3, but the LCD-2C? To me it's very un-estat like starting with the frequency uneveness. Big emphasis on bass, very reticent upper mids, and almost inaudible high treble. It's tuning is deep and rich, and that's not like any estat I know.
The E2, Arya, SE6SE, HEKse off the top of my head - all seem more estat like to my ears.

Then the new technologies - ribbons and AMT's. first cuts may or may not interest you, but believe me new versions will start to come in short order and they might, and no need for a mega buck tube amp to drive them.
I’m not saying it sounds like any estat I’ve ever heard before, mainly because of the bass, but like other Audezes it has that extra boot of energy at 1 k making for a very peculiar tuning..one that I’ve only ever experienced with Stax. The absence of distortions aka complete black canvas for the music to frolick on also reminds me of Stax...coupled together with that clean and seductive warmth (full sound) of it was what made me recommend it.
If one is looking for a more electrostatic-like sound (leaner/more detailed) it’s definitely the newer Hifimans, although they don’t show that characteristic 1 k bump.
But yeah...maybe it’s because I’ve only ever listened to Stax and that particular tuning simply spells out estat to me:)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #24 of 29
When speaking about E-Stat, we gotta start with the most important thing, the Energizer unit. It is also what you call an amplifier!

Similar to how you can fancy up your dynamic headphones in cups and acoustic chamber design, diaphragm materials...etc...but a very weak and incapable magnetic will ruin everything

Apr 2, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #25 of 29

This headphone looks like a disaster? Better go to the reviewer and state your points.

Sorry bcs of OT
Reason makes me dont care for measurement data is that: microphone and ear cupling...etc are not my ears.
By actually hearing like below, I am surely to say, there is not any valley from 1k to 4k.
Reverse, it is perfect, means my gear does not expose a modrate change in SPL.
40Hz is not recess as shown in his chart.
If it is correct, he should draw nothing beyond zero line for hd800(s or non S).
With single sine tone 40 - 80Hz range, noise can be heard easily BUT the importance thing is that it doesnt happen on multiple sine combination - means of music.

Attachments

• 20200403_005507.jpg
    20200403_005507.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 2, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #26 of 29

He brings some interesting points. Build is one area i would like to see improved... the way the cups attach to the frame is the main thing I would like to see improved - it's not a swivel hinge but adjustable one that has position 'fixed' via tightening the hex screw to fit precisely to your head. Problem is it works it's way loose, and when loose the cups can swivel into the frame and be scratched. Designing a proper automatic hinge system with no interference with the frame would be the one change it really needs for anyone but dedicated estat enthusiasts. Not bothered by the high clamp (clamp is okay, just a bit more than a new Sennheiser HD6 series) as much as my left ear touching the 'driver'... my STAX L300 Limited with L700 pads has several more mm internal clearance being angled with more rear space, which = no touching.

I also use a Mjlonir Audio SRD-7 transformer but with NAD C275BEE stereo amp and RME ADI-2 DAC as DAC/preamp control... sounds different from what he describes. And that's the thing with estats... your entire gear chain matters more than in a planar or dynamic. From my setup, the RR1 treble is very smooth and laid back with no peaks, nowhere near the L300 Limited/L700 which is much more edgy and intense sounding. Only EQ I run is to enhance the low end.... don't touch anything above 100Hz. Has a solidity to the sound, especially in the low and mids, that is different from most estats, very much approaching what you'd expect from a dynamic driver like an HD650/6XX. I agree with the dynamics, which is one of the reasons why I vastly prefered my L300 Limited. Kaldas RR1 to STAX L300 Limited/L700 is like comparison of Sennheiser HD650 to Focal Clear. Timbre is different, but I have no issues with it.

OP asked for fullest sounding estat... which the Kaldas RR1 certainly is one of, if not the most fullest sounding estat there is (certainly fuller sounding than any other estat I've heard.)

Apr 2, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 29
He brings some interesting points. Build is one area i would like to see improved... the way the cups attach to the frame is the main thing I would like to see improved - it's not a swivel hinge but adjustable one that has position 'fixed' via tightening the hex screw to fit precisely to your head. Problem is it works it's way loose, and when loose the cups can swivel into the frame and be scratched. Designing a proper automatic hinge system with no interference with the frame would be the one change it really needs for anyone but dedicated estat enthusiasts. Not bothered by the high clamp (clamp is okay, just a bit more than a new Sennheiser HD6 series) as much as my left ear touching the 'driver'... my STAX L300 Limited with L700 pads has several more mm internal clearance being angled with more rear space, which = no touching.

I also use a Mjlonir Audio SRD-7 transformer but with NAD C275BEE stereo amp and RME ADI-2 DAC as DAC/preamp control... sounds different from what he describes. And that's the thing with estats... your entire gear chain matters more than in a planar or dynamic. From my setup, the RR1 treble is very smooth and laid back with no peaks, nowhere near the L300 Limited/L700 which is much more edgy and intense sounding. Only EQ I run is to enhance the low end.... don't touch anything above 100Hz. Has a solidity to the sound, especially in the low and mids, that is different from most estats, very much approaching what you'd expect from a dynamic driver like an HD650/6XX. I agree with the dynamics, which is one of the reasons why I vastly prefered my L300 Limited. Kaldas RR1 to STAX L300 Limited/L700 is like comparison of Sennheiser HD650 to Focal Clear. Timbre is different, but I have no issues with it.

OP asked for fullest sounding estat... which the Kaldas RR1 certainly is one of, if not the most fullest sounding estat there is (certainly fuller sounding than any other estat I've heard.)

I agree the hinges Is something I wish was normally adjustable but honestly it can still be adjusted some after tightening. Do wish it was a bit deeper but I’m adjusting to the fit.

I agree everything on the chain changes the sound. I use a STAX SRM-353X connected to a Bifrost 2 and honestly simply changing the power cable to the 353X completely changes the treble and the bass on the RR 1. From a little bright and a little lean to slightly dark, warm, full, and solid.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #28 of 29
This is what you call a full authentic sounding Stax sound! No 3rd party nonsense ! Shot fire from Staxs themselves!
stax.jpeg

Supreme bliss :)
Inked11183391_LI.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #29 of 29
This is what you call a full authentic sounding Stax sound! No 3rd party nonsense ! Shot fire from Staxs themselves!
stax.jpeg
Supreme bliss :)
Inked11183391_LI.jpg

Ah the SR-007 MKI one of my favorite estats, I loved that headphone when I heard it. Hope to get the chance to hear one again in the future. Always liked the SR-007 more than the SR-009.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back