Which earphones...
Apr 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

avengernoonzz

Head-Fier
Hello there.. I'm looking for some earphones for my phone (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). I'm looking for really AWESOME in-ear earphones because I'm pretty much listening to music on my phone.

I've only been looking at the ranking list and the first earphones that show are the Sennheiser IE8. I've seen the price and I'm willing to spend that much. My question are, should I get these? Are they for special equipment or can you use them on iPods, etc?

I listen to rock music mainly, lot's of guitars, drums, bass, etc. from Oasis to The Story so Far (lol)

Any tips? please be harsh if I'm not looking in the right direction. I just want some AWESOME earphones.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 13
You should try and determine what kind of sound signature you like.  Music is mostly split up into Highs, Mids, and Bass.  Highs are generally sparkly sounding things like symbols.   Mids are vocals, guitars and electric guitars, and stuff like that.  Bass is both the low rumbly stuff like guitar bass and also mid bass, which usually includes drums and other percussion instruments.
Anyways, headphones usually have a unique sound signature, meaning that a certain part of the sound spectrum will be more pronounced and another part may be recessed.  By more pronounced, I mean that it will somewhat be louder and the music will sound closer to you, as opposed to recessed which makes that part sound farther away.

Anyways, if this is your first set of nice in ears, I'd go for the Vsonic GR07 which cost about $170 or something like that.  You should probably stay out of the upper tier of headphones that are $200+, because those are mainly for people that have tried out a couple of headphones and know exactly what kind of sound they like.  
The GR07's are fairly neutral which means that the sound is pretty balanced.  They're really very excellent value for the cost, and the sound is a very non-polarizing one: almost everyone who uses them will enjoy the sound.  As opposed to some other headphones which have a sort of imbalanced sound that some will love but others won't be able to stand.

You can take a look at this thread too to see if any other headphones catch your eye.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-236-iems-compared-vsonic-gr06-gr01-added-04-19-12

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
Maybe start with $63 gr06, gr07 is only bit better.

IMO there's a noticeable gap between the GR06 and GR07...

But if you like mids, the GR06 should be perfect for you...

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #7 of 13
go for the SoundMagic E30 for a balanced sound, then see if you prefer balanced, bassy or bright. find out whats lacking for you or what you prefer.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 13
The SoundMagic E30 is about $60 AU. Does that sound about right?

decisions, decisions, decisions

edit:

If I choose to go with the GR06, it would have to be on eBay but there's only one from Singapore and the rest from Hong Kong and I don't want to lead myself into buying a fake if they are fakes. lol

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I ended up getting the GR07.. hopefully I made a good choice, but thank you all. :D

Good choice, was about to recommend the UM3x for mid>bass>highs, but the GR-07 are quite similar to the UM3x, so that's a good decision. Enjoy listening :wink: 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back