Which earphones for blocking out noise?
Feb 15, 2008 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

wildwildebeest

New Head-Fier
I'm after a slightly better set of earphones, ones which will block out unwanted noise, especially from planes & cars.
As I don't want anything too bulky I think I am probably looking at in-ear earphones, especially as they seem to be better than headphones for the same price.

Thinking of spending about £40 sterling on them, so far have considered 'phones like
the Sennheiser CX300 (these are the cheapest)
Shure e2c,
Crossroads Mylarone XB.

Any idea which of these is the best? Especially in terms of sound isolation?

I'm after clarity and bass - obviously - but clarity is prob more important unless it gets tinny...

Also: I haven't yet made any sense of the technical spec that you can find on these: is it essential to match the impedance of the phones with my mp3 player (a zen btw) as closely as possible? Or aim for high impedance?

Any advice much appreciated
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 18
Of those 3, the Shure will probably isolate best if you use the foam tips, the other two are canalphones and isolate less.

If you want really high isolation, the Etymotic earphones are unbeaten in this regard.
The ER6i is somewhat in your price range, and has a listed isolation of 35+ dB with the foams (reference: other earphones usually have ~25-28 dB of listed isolation).

Edit: also, I've used the ER4S on flights, and it blocks out all the engine noise.

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 18
I would be careful buying from that guy, just in this month he has 30+ negatives, mostly lack of communication.
On the other hand, he has 900+ positive feedbacks, but should you get a dud, you can't count on getting any helpful after-sale service from him.
Up to you really if you want to risk it.

Personally I would try to buy it used instead from the For Sale boards, you can get really good deals there from people who want a quick sale, or just price their items low.
Or from HeadRoom, it'll be probably a little more expensive than from ebay, but you are guaranteed good after-sale service there at least.

Feb 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qosmio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experienced with not custom IEM,Shure will be the best for blocking out noise especially with E500PTH im selling it now if you interests
tongue.gif

How Much?

Feb 18, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qosmio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experienced with not custom IEM,Shure will be the best for blocking out noise especially with E500PTH im selling it now if you interests
tongue.gif

i know the e500 is the same as the se530 but do they come with the black foamies?

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #12 of 18
Just a quick note, the e2c are not produced anymore. They were replaced by the Shure SE110. I own these and the CX300. The Shure will give better isolation (and sound better overall I think) , provided that you use the correct tips. The SE100 has a thicker, sturdier cord too.

Feb 18, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 18
Something quick and cheap, the JVC FX-33s, AKA the Marshmallows.

Feb 18, 2008 at 9:41 PM Post #14 of 18
Feb 18, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 18
I own the CX300, Marshmallows, and Altec 716's (poor man's Ety's) and without question the Altecs/Ety's will give you the best isolation. I've got two kids at home under the age of 8, and with my eyes closed I can't tell they are in the room with me.

Most would tell you, that's only slightly less loud than an aircraft...

IMO, the Altec's/Ety's sound MUCH better than either the Senn's or Marshmallows. Obviously there's a significant price difference, esp. between the JVC's and Altec's, or Ety's, but they are nowhere near the same league.

Good luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back