Which DT880 to buy?
Jul 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

darknight670

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi,

I came hear to have infos about the HD555, then I wanted to buy a HD595 , then an AD900 and finally you have tricked me into buying the DT880.
My banker commited sucide and I have lost all my friends but hey I was warned before coming :)

So my question is : Which version of the DT880 should I buy?
- " Amazon " DT880 250Ohm : 200 euros
- DT880 Manufaktur : 330 euros.

Because a custom DT880 would be VERY sexy, but if SQ is the same then I would prefer to save 130 Euros as it is my very FIRST headphone EVER and I entend to also buy an X Fi Forte ( I am a gamer first : is the DT880 the best choice? )  and a Mini3 Amp. ( and eventually and iPhone 4 as the SQ is better than my current iPod 2G )

Thank you HeadFi, I hate you.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 14
The 600 ohm DT880's are the best sounding, IMO - so I would go for those.

Jul 6, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 14
go for 600 ohms :)

i came from the dt880s 250 ohms, the 600 ohms is better, but it is more expensive. but if you can afford it, save yourself some money and buy the better one instead of upgrading in the future like me :)

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #5 of 14
you can always buy a better amp down the road to make the sound better. no experience with the amps in question but the little dot mkii and audio gd c-2c are driving them fine. i am also saving for a better amp :)

i did also notice that the 250 ohm versions are almost if not similar to the 600 ohm cans when amping. that is, if you can drive the 250 ohms, you should be able to drive the 600 ohm cans...

although a mini3 portable amp might not be the best for these beyers... YMMV of course...

Jul 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #7 of 14
if it will be a question as to which is better, the 600 ohm version is definitely better soundwise. and the soundstage will probably help you very well in gaming, as well as for watching movies if you go that route too :)

now, as to the peripherals of your setup, i find it similar to mine. i was an avid pc gamer that is why i have an asus soundcard. but i didn't think of powering the beyer from the card. i haven't even tried that yet... when i brought the 250 ohm beyer i tried to audition it with a sansa clip. bad idea, as i was barely able to hear anything in the coffee shop...

lesson learned: these beyers will need an amp to sound well and good...

you can try using the soundcard and the mini3 at first. but if you want to get the best sound, make a desktop amp as your holiday wish :) 

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

you can try using the soundcard and the mini3 at first. but if you want to get the best sound, make a desktop amp as your holiday wish :) 

DIY Cmoy amp 
smile.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Have you considered the 32 ohms? From what I gather a lot of people consider them to be a close second to the 600 ohms so if you have your heart set on DT880s you could get the 32 ohms now and an amp when you can afford it.

Well then the 250 ohm version must be veryyy close. :D

Quote:
if it will be a question as to which is better, the 600 ohm version is definitely better soundwise. and the soundstage will probably help you very well in gaming, as well as for watching movies if you go that route too :)

now, as to the peripherals of your setup, i find it similar to mine. i was an avid pc gamer that is why i have an asus soundcard. but i didn't think of powering the beyer from the card. i haven't even tried that yet... when i brought the 250 ohm beyer i tried to audition it with a sansa clip. bad idea, as i was barely able to hear anything in the coffee shop...

lesson learned: these beyers will need an amp to sound well and good...

Well... The Forte as a dedicated Headphone Amp and I thought it would be "sufficent" to drive them

Jul 6, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 14
The 600 ohm DT880 sound better, in almost every respect, compared to the 250 ohm (2005) version, IMHO.  If your budget can support a tube amp, like the DV336SE, you will be able to hear the DT880/600 at their best.

Jul 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
The 600 ohm DT880 sound better, in almost every respect, compared to the 250 ohm (2005) version, IMHO.  If your budget can support a tube amp, like the DV336SE, you will be able to hear the DT880/600 at their best.

Ar, no really I cannot afford to buy this type of amp... I have already stretched a lot my budget compared to the HD555 but what you are proposing is comparable to the expansion of the universe... I am buying a whole new multimedia system which mean : PC + Screen + Sound etc... And 3000 Euro is the MAX I can afford as a 18 years old student.

Jul 8, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #14 of 14
I'd step back and get the AD900s, don't need an amp and since you're a gamer first - perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back