which DT-770 version is renouned for the crazy bass?
Jun 16, 2007 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
the ones that are crazy for hip hop apparantly, and known as the ulitmate basscan?

and are these not the same beyers that can turn into DARTH-BEYERS?

are they closed?

does closed mean that the sound would leak OUT aswell, because this is quite important for me?

any other cans suitable for rap, jazz and rock?

Jun 16, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 24
All 770's are closed. They are the closed version of the fully-open 1980 DT880-Studio. The 990 is the mechanically damped version of the 1980 DT880 Studio. The current 880 is a semi-open version of the 1985 DT990.

And 770's are reviled by detail-oriented listeners as being 'boomy' when in fact they are not at all boomy. They just have ample, somewhat warm bass, which can slightly overshadow the mids.

An MDR-V600 is boomy. The DT770 in any form is just a can with some bass.

Oh, and closed means that the sound does not leak.

Jun 16, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ones that are crazy for hip hop apparantly, and known as the ulitmate basscan?

are they closed?

does closed mean that the sound would leak OUT aswell, because this is quite important for me?

The 250 and 600 ohm versions have more bass than the 80 ohm version. But if you're looking for "crazy" subwoofer-like bass from any high-end headphone you won't get it - consumer gear usually has more, albeit lower quality, bass. If on the other hand you're looking for a relatively bassy presentation in the mid-fi quality headphone range, the DT-770 (pre-2005 versions) deliver.

Jun 17, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And 770's are reviled by detail-oriented listeners as being 'boomy' when in fact they are not at all boomy. They just have ample, somewhat warm bass, which can slightly overshadow the mids.

An MDR-V600 is boomy. The DT770 in any form is just a can with some bass.

Well said. The DT770 Pro80 have a little more bass than the current (2005) DT770 in any impedance. The 2005 DT770 really are pretty balanced, with more bass than many headphones, but they are not going to please anyone looking for a fart cannon.

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well said. The DT770 Pro80 have a little more bass than the current (2005) DT770 in any impedance. The 2005 DT770 really are pretty balanced, with more bass than many headphones, but they are not going to please anyone looking for a fart cannon.

Have you compared the 2005 DT770 vs a Darth Beyer?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 17, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared the 2005 DT770 vs a Darth Beyer?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Gee, ya think?
biggrin.gif

Darth Beyers are better in every way, IMO. More bass, too.

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if you're looking for "crazy" subwoofer-like bass from any high-end headphone you won't get it

I classify my Darth Beyers as having "crazy" subwoofer-like bass. Very intense and feeling pressurized when properly amped. What's lacking is the kick in the gut experience but it's almost convincing.

[size=small]([/size]
basshead.gif
[size=small])[/size]

Jun 17, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hah, you said fart

Jun 17, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

are they closed?

On the cheap ($10-$20), the PX100s do a good job.

The DT 770s are okay, but HD 650s with a warm amp/source sound better. Then you have the DB's, which are around the same price range ($303-$350) of a new HD 650. The DB with a neutral amp/source would be crazy for hip-hop/rock/jazz.

The Ultrasone 650 is quoted as being bass heavy as well...you see where I'm going with this? Snoop around and try a couple of headphone out for your own piece of mind; GL and sorry about your wallet.

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the cheap ($10-$20), the PX100s do a good job.

Where are you getting (real) PX100's for $10?

Jun 17, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I classify my Darth Beyers as having "crazy" subwoofer-like bass. Very intense and feeling pressurized when properly amped. What's lacking is the kick in the gut experience but it's almost convincing.

[size=small]([/size]
basshead.gif
[size=small])[/size]

Ofcourse, this is all relative, but no headphone I've heard has sounded anything close to what I'd call "crazy" subwoofer-like visceral bass without EQing. That includes the DB, DT-770, DT-990 and GS1k among the bassier phones I've tried (haven't tried Ultrasone yet..). The GS1k with flats and bass boost switch engaged were what I'd call "crazy" bass, but that would probably be 35+dB of bass if you graphed it - something which I doubt any mid or high end headphone comes close to without modification to the input signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back