Which DIY Amp for HD650/DT880?
Sep 8, 2010 at 12:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

nate911

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase the DT880/600 or HD650...and I want to just buy both and compare them--return the one I don't want. Only problem is I'd like to have a good amp (all I have is a mini^3 now) to A/B them so I get an accurate comparison. What's a good amp to build for either of these 'phones (suited for higher impedances obviously)? Or will some amps not mix well with one or the other? My budget is around $200-$300...probably not much more than that.
I've looked at the Minimax a good bit--it looks like a solid choice and fairly easy to assemble. I've heard the Bottlehead Crack amp kit mentioned several times...not sure how well it will mix with these 'phones though. I haven't looked into the EHHA Rev A, CTH, CK2III, or Bijou too much though (or any other amps in the price range). Overall, I want something not extremely hard to build that also doesn't require a ton of casework.

Any suggestions/comments?

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 20
My friend had a great experience with the Minimax and DT880. I'd also say it's a great choice for you. Easy enough to assemble and no worry about case work. TomB is always there to give a helpful hand, should you get any trouble with the build.

Sep 8, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 20
out of curiosity, how does the ppa v2 stack up with these other amps being mentioned? i built one of those a few years back and iirc it cost less, but it was really straightforward to put together.

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
My friend had a great experience with the Minimax and DT880. I'd also say it's a great choice for you. Easy enough to assemble and no worry about case work. TomB is always there to give a helpful hand, should you get any trouble with the build.

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Super easy to case up and there's a kit at GlassJar if I decide to go that route. I'm assuming your friend had the DT880/600?

Quote:
Have you considered the M^3 or the Dynalo?  Both fit your budget and are excellent amps.

The M^3 looks nice but I'm worried about the casework... :/
Wasn't the Dynalo on AMBs site? I can't find it anymore...

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 20
I coulda sworn he had a product page on his website for it...guess not. I did glance at the original product page though...looks pretty nice.
I'm still drawn to the Minimax because of the super-easy casework...but do some of these amps (that I mentioned in the OP and that were suggested) drive the HD650/DT880 (or higher impedance 'phones in general) better than others? Or are all of them about the same?

Sep 9, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 20
Can't speak for the DT880, but, the miniMAX drives my HD650's just fine. As loud as I can take it with high-gain, 12AE6 tubes.

Can't comment on the relative sound quality between the designs.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 20
if you are organized with your parts though it is still fairly straightforward to build, since with the pcb you can purchase off of tangent's site all you need to do is stuff the board :D

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 20

Quote:
The ppav2 is one of my favorite amps, especially with HD650 and it's a more complex build than M3 (much more small parts).

Quote:
if you are organized with your parts though it is still fairly straightforward to build, since with the pcb you can purchase off of tangent's site all you need to do is stuff the board :D

Thanks for the responses. And the PPAv2 looks nice as well. Like I said, I'm just worried about casework mainly...which doesn't look that bad with either (PPAv2 or M3). Of course, it's still more complicated compared to the Minimax, but as long as I can use a pre-made enclosure (like Hammond) for it, it should be fine. All of them look great to me...hmm.

Sep 12, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #13 of 20
i believe the ppa board was designed to fit perfectly into one of the hammond enclosures, so casework for that should be fairly simple. i think all you need to do is drill holes for the front/back panels. of course i was too lazy / cheap to buy a case so mines just sort of sitting in a cardboard box that i poked a couple holes in >.>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back