which diamond buffer to build for pimeta?
Jan 15, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #31 of 62
What would be the bit opposite the BC337 and BC327? I'm guessing it's another BC337 and BC327, respectively, but I just want to make sure.

mainke2.gif

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #33 of 62
Since I have some 2N5087 and 2N5088 lying around, I'm thinking of building of with those instead of the BC327 and BC337. Anything I should know before I fry my dad's PIMETA?

Diamond_634.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #35 of 62
I just built it with the 2N5087 and 2N5088. I didn't have exact resistors though, but I think they were close; 6.5R and 3.32K. The first one I made didn't drop in, so I built a second to make sure. The layout is the same, with compensation for the reverse pinout of the 2N5087 relative the BC327 and the 2N5088 the BC337. It's not playing anything, so maybe you guys can help me out a bit. Is there some kind of balancing act I need to perform with the hfe to get things to work?

edit: If it helps, checking the offset on the discrete buffered channel shows that the DC level grows in magnitude, where the output is negative relative the input ground.

Jan 19, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #38 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by heatmizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pictures please. Where is it plugged into the socket?

Yes, I plugged them into the wrong socket positions. Always check the datasheet. u_u Oh well, now I'm enjoying the PIMETA without making a $30 order to Digikey that wouldn't happen because of the stock issue. Huzzah!

Jan 29, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #40 of 62
you cant calculate it this way.

Think of the idss spread like the hfe spread in bipolar transistors. They vary alot. So the thing is to measure the current flow and tune it with the trimpot. Normally it's very hard to do so, which is why we alternatively, tune the bias using the trimpots of each half of the circuit respectively. (you must get equal bias for each of the output transistors).

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #41 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of building another Pimeta with some discrete buffers and wanted to double check the schematics and layouts by you guys.

I don't have an input resistor like heatmizer showed at the beginning, I can probably add one if it's necessary so the opamp doesn't drive the buffer directly.

Class-A
pimetabufferclassaschemwh3.jpg
pimetabufferclassalayouug2.jpg

This Class-A buffer would run 22mA of current as per the formula. Output current = CCS * (Input resistors / Output resistors).

Your Class-A buffer seems to be working. I used 1K constant current resistors, or even smaller, I should check it out and do another. I only have one yet. I used 2SK117 JFETs so I had to improvise a little. Thanks!!

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #43 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, glad you got it working. I never managed to complete this one unfortunately.

I used 300 ohm resistors instead of 1K trimpot, 75 ohm resistors input, 2SK117, and 2.8 ohm emitter resistors on BD139 and BD140.

But now I hear distortions, like it would be running out of current. Class AB Buffer works flawlessly in the same spot. I buffer left and right channels on a cmoy core.

What resistor value would you suggest changing? I could try if I need 200 ohm resistor in between buffer and op amp. Now I have only bare wire. Buffers are not warm so I guess they are not oscillating, though distortion means there is a problem.

11rdmko.jpg

protoboard fun

Mar 10, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 62
I tried 620 ohm resistors instead of 1K trimpot which I don't have, then I tried 200 ohm,

then instead of 75 ohm I tried 29 ohm, I also tried 2.9 ohm emitter resistors

But NO GO! I just cannot get that distortion free.

I have 2SK117 JFET which is rated for 6 mA IDSS , that should be enough for biasing...

I don't understand how I could make that circuit working like it should. Now it gives bad distortions into bass.

I got mad to that and abandonded it, I put single ended BJT BD139 instead with 82 ohm emitter resistor (91 mA bias). Now I have bass but somehow boring sound and too easy.

Mar 10, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #45 of 62
That buffer is meant to be wrapped in a global feedback loop- that's why it's suggested as an option for the PiMeta. It's not clear how your circuit is set up in that regard.

It's also not clear what you're doing about the ground, maybe that's the part of the circuit that's current starved. You said you had another class AB buffer working in the same circuit- was it a discrete buffer, or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back