Which deal is better? Hifiman he-400i or Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00
Nov 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

jamweiser

100+ Head-Fier
Since i've decided to create a profile here, i jumped on the Massdrop Akg-K7xx for a gift to myself for my bday... Teetered between which DAP i wanted to upgrade from ipod touchs & nano's, which i finally decided to place an order on the Questyle Qp1r. Well now i'm looking at adding a mid level planar headphone to the mix. I have a pretty eclectic blend of music i'll listen too, so depending on what genre i'm listening, the sound type varies.

So since these two deals have been dropped or hinted to drop soon, i need some impressions/opinions from more seasoned audiophiles. Aside from usage of the Qp1r (when it eventually arrives), i other ways of listening to the cans would be either at home thru my Anthem mrx-510, or at work with my ipods that i feed into a Bravo audio v2 (my intro to tube amps).

Based on what i've read the he-400i sticks out due to detachable cables, only due to not wanting to stand in kitchen with a set on, with a 6 foot long cable... I like to drown out the wife & daughter as i prep/cook the meals :) But i don't want the cable to be prime reason to pass on the Fostex.

Looking forward to any comments/advise or impressions based on ownership of either product lines, products!

Nov 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 28
The HE400i is a great headphone that can become even greater with modifications. At the $300 it's available at now, it's a steal. I have not heard the Fostex, but would be surprised if I liked it more.

Nov 25, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3 of 28
The Fostex is essentially the Denon D7000 reincarnated, which was a $1000 headphone when it was around. I tried D7000s a few times at meet ups back in the day and always liked it's sound, but I was never wowed by it. It's kind of a weird headphone to me because it looks closed, but it's really basically semi-open. Very little isolation. So most of the reason I'd own it (premium headphone with isolation and no leakage) goes out the door. That all being said, for some people the D7000 bass was endgame bass in a coherent and smooth overall package. I really liked the bass, but I didn't like it $1000 worth. The HE 400i, for me, is an end game solution. It's the only headphone I've ever owned that I've not been tempted in the least to EQ. Fast, detailed bottom end; powerful forward midrange and present highs.

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 28
The Fostex is essentially the Denon D7000 reincarnated

In this case, know that the Fostex is V-shaped with boosted bass and treble and recessed mids.  The HE-400i is pretty close to neutral with slight warmth and smoother treble.  The HE-400i is good for everything especially vocals.  I don't like recessed mids for any music but that's me and not necessarily you (I also dislike bloated bass and boosted treble but I never heard the D7000 so I can't comment on it).

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 28
The HE 400i, for me, is an end game solution. It's the only headphone I've ever owned that I've not been tempted in the least to EQ. Fast, detailed bottom end; powerful forward midrange and present highs.

Which modifications does yours have? Mine only had the grill mod, but I felt it sounded mostly as good as the much more costly HE1000. (However, I prefer electrostats over planar magnetics by a long shot.)

Nov 25, 2015 at 5:25 PM Post #6 of 28
Guys he's asking about the TH-X00, not the D7000. The TH-X00 is said to have less bass, less peaky treble and better mids compared to TH-600/900, more balanced if you will. 

The Fostex is essentially the Denon D7000 reincarnated...

I asume you have heard it since you can make a statement like that. How does it compare to the TH-600 and TH-900?

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 28
Guys he's asking about the TH-X00, not the D7000. The TH-X00 is said to have less bass, less peaky treble and better mids compared to TH-600/900, more balanced if you will. 

I asume you have heard it since you can make a statement like that. How does it compare to the TH-600 and TH-900?

I heard it at a meet. I have no experience with the 600 or 900. I briefly owned a d7000 and as soon as I put the x00 on it flashed me back immediately. It's auditory memory, so take it fwiw. But Fostex made the d7000 and it's basically the same bill of materials, so it would seem to make sense.

Nov 25, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 28

(I also dislike bloated bass and boosted treble).

This is something i've started to prefer over last two years. I don't use any eq on the the ipods, and really digging the sound of the Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 EH Vacuum Tube, in the bravo audio v2 setup i have at work.

i know either will sound great, so thanks for all the input. I'll post what i purchased when i make that decision, sometime this weekend...

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 28
Between 400i and 400s I would take the s even if it cost more. With leather pads, bass is better, mids are the same and the treble isn't as harsh. 400s is darker and smoother(and lighter) . 400i is brighter, harsher and more detailed. I don't know much about th-x00.

Nov 26, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #11 of 28
  Between 400i and 400s I would take the s even if it cost more. I had the 400i and was selling the 400s. I finally caved and tried the 400s, and the rest was history. With leather pads, bass is better, mids are the same and the treble isn't as harsh. 400s is darker and smoother(and lighter) . 400i is brighter, harsher and more detailed. I don't know much about th-x00 but I would at least wait till it drops again in a month or 2 so you can make a more informed decision.

Not properly amped. What where you using as an amp/source when you had the I?

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 28
At the 299$ the 400i where recently i would have gone for them. If not it depends on what you want, open or closed. Fostex have good reviews too, but never listened to one of them, so i can say anything.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #13 of 28
No the 400i was def properly amped during my review. 400i is just a more detailed less fun headphone. With 400s you can pick up a cheap dac/amp like uha 6s or that geek out stuff. 400s can be had used from 250 and a dac amp can be had for like 80. For 330 you get a great setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back